Handyman Saitou in Another World - Vol. 1 Ch. 8

Contributor
Hold on, what's the order here? Did she first pay for the shitty not shitty sword and then had Saitou reveal it knowing that he'd somehow make it better, or did he reveal a sword like that before and she's just applying that knowledge here?

• Thinking
Reactions: GK
Dex-chan lover
Raelza is stacked! And jelly! And she better start being more honest with herself because Lafanpan is gonna call her on it hard from now on, I think.

Fed-Kun's army
"Because humans have 10 fingers"

Wow, i- i'm genuinely mindblown by this simple clever revelation. If there is actually a very grounded and logical reason as for why human society in a fantasy setting in fiction uses Base10 Numbers, then this is it.

I was so used to fantasy manga that i guess my disbelief suspension is on a level where i can be amazed by real-life common sense like this, lol.

@Douteigami, i like to think that it's more like the Clerk Girl want to test Saitou if he can detect the sword's secret too, and then happy to know that Saitou did managed to, because this means Saitou to the Clerk Girl is like that friend where you can share your hobby with, which in this case seems to be "inspecting/appraising things". This also provides a more logical reason as to why the Armor Girl is getting jealous, because she knows that the Clerk Girl is having a good time discussing worth of items with Saitou.

Decimal system is not used because humans have 10 fingers. In fact the oldest counting system known is Babylonian and uses base 60. Other common bases are 12 and 20. In fact you can find more variations in ways to count in real life than in any sort of (science) fiction or any made up fantasy language. We are just universally thought basic math in base 10, so much so that you'd forget anything else ever existed.

Fed-Kun's army
@gloeilamp, Good points, but "10 Fingers" is still the most logically-acceptable excuse for why humanity in fantasy use 10 number base, and this fact is what i'm mindblown about.

It's such a simple and effective excuse.

By the same principle, you can write about a fantasy race that use X number base locally and have their individual total fingers be that X, the feel of discovering the fridge brilliance will be amazing. ?

Fed-Kun's army
@Haremony it's not most logically-acceptable. It's just most common explanation. It's believable because you are used to it, there is no deeper reason to it. Counting segments of fingers on one hand is as logically-acceptable as finger counting and gives you base 12 which in turn gave base 60.

Fed-Kun's army
@Ceiye Iits After. First she bought the Sword. For 15Gold. Which in reality is 300Gold. but that guy did not realize it . then she showed satou, as she believe he surely will notice it. she got high expectations for satou.

Oh man I just realized that armor girl is watching him through the window in page 7

Dex-chan lover
I love it when a jealous full-armored girl peeks in from outside the shop window.

Dex-chan lover
@gloeilamp
Who would forget the others when our everyday life depends on them? Computers operate physically only on base 2, and expand it to higher dimensions based on various factors, such as memory needs or memory structure, most commonly hexadecimal. Computers present stuff in decimal only for the sake of humans. Although I suppose lots of people don't think about it. Just like they don't think about how a car works as long as it takes them from place A to place B.

Fed-Kun's army
@Tikibo, it's the most common exactly because it's the most logically acceptable, you know? It won't spread and be commonly used by people if not lot of people get it in the first place. And there is a deeper reason to it. 10 Base is the easiest to show physically with your hands than any other base numbers.

You wrote my name wrong, that's why i didn't get any notification which result in me replying this late, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread