A Returner's Magic Should Be Special - Vol. 1 Ch. 8

Fed-Kun's army
Typical Noble dick behavior. I've always wondered why these authors always default to some kind of pseudo-aristocracy for their settings.

Dex-chan lover
So now is the part where he retroactively accepts the offer from that other guy from the tower or whatever from the first chapter?

Aggregator gang
@Bengon Classical European settings are the perfect blend of relatability to our real lives and generic Tolkien-esque fantasy worlds. It's easy to write because we have documented evidence in our history of what life was like back then, and considering how shit things feel like these days, there's a bunch of people thinking that they were "born in the wrong generation".

Basically, it's the perfect setting for a hack writer to write a story for a majority hack audience.

Fed-Kun's army
pugman? more like pigman.... i hope the author kill him off quickly i can't stand his character lol

Dex-chan lover
Romantica isn't going to be his girl in this life, I bet she blames him for getting stuck in the crap class

I can't tell if it's the author or the translator, but the writing is really holding the enjoyment back. It's such an interesting plot too.

Dex-chan lover
I'm surprised to see that Romantica is going to be in the same B class as Desir. Isn't she also better than a 1 tier magician? Shouldn't she automatically be enrolled in the A class thanks to her magic talent and nobility? Desir even acknowledged (chapter 6) that Romantica was one of the strongest in the entire exam and surely that had to have been noticed when her magic tier was tested.

It is so odd for the academy council to acknowledge that Desir has unfathomable analysis magic, is capable of creative use of low tier magic and is a skilled tactician yet bar him from entering the A class because he is a tier 1 magician. He defeated Ajest whose performance the council was looking forward to, as well as another high tier magician and yet they maintain that he has no place amongst other tier 2 magicians?

Does this mean Ajest will also have to attend B class? Ajest is in the same situation as Romantica - she is a high tiered magician who lost to a commoner with tier 1 magic. It's true that Ajest was closer to the finish line than Romantica when the shadow world was cleared but is that really all they looked at when they decided Romantica was unworthy of being in class A while Ajest is worthy?

This is all very stupid.

Dex-chan lover
@Kireato: She's 3rd in the test, so even if the school somehow discredit Desir's win, the clear would go to Ajest, which is likely what happened.

Also, it's likely that she was in B class even in the past loop, since the way he acted it seems they were lovers, and I highly doubt they'd get to interact much if they're in different group.
Since the test is the same, Ajest would definitely win in that past loop without Desir to give her the surprise defeat.

So I think the result is the 'same' as the past:
Ajest proceed to class A, Desir and Romantica to B

Of course, the difference is that instead of Romantica losing to Ajest, someone whose ability she can admit is above hers thus accepting of the loss, she lost to Desir, a man who's supposedly below her but has shown far more abilities than hers and is overly...affectionate to her...so her mental health is not going to be very stable until she accept his love.
(I admit that I enjoy the sort of 'man accidentally break down tsundere waifu by being nice despite her tsun' moments)

And Ajest, instead of going into class A while feeling like it's natural, is going to be vexed at Desir being booted to class B despite him clearly winning against her.

Fed-Kun's army
Fat nobles as always gotta have their ways :/
And haha she makes it look like the end of the world.
She'll be happy being with the mc :)

Dex-chan lover
@WhimsiCat

I don't think it's necessary for Romantica to have been in class B in the past loop in order for Desir and her to develop a romantic relationship. After all, they were stuck in the shadow world for many years and perhaps they only started interacting there. For instance, Desir developed close relationships in the shadow world in the past loop with other magicians and knights which were likely in class A. But certainly, Romantica being in class B would increase the possibilities for interacting with Desir and help explain how their romantic relationship developed so it's probably true.

However, there's no concept of second or third place in an exam that is completed only by the person who reaches the finish first. And I can't imagine a school that places such importance on the status of nobility would take Romantica, a powerful magician and a noble, pit her against another powerful sword magician noble, and only allow one to pass to class A.

As I understand it, the examinees could either end in class A, class B, or just fail to enroll in either classes. I'm guessing that if the luck of the draw had 4 commoners in an exam group, that only one commoner would be enrolled in class B, while the others would fail to enter the school and no one from that group would go to class A because they don't fulfill the conditions. On the flipside, if an examinee group has 4 nobles who are tier 2 magicians, I'm not sure why they wouldn't all end up in class A unless they prove themselves to be absolutely retarded in the exam (and from the characters from the school council like Professor Pugman, the bar is very low.)

My understanding is basically that if you pass the entrance exam, you go to class A if you're a noble and to class B if you're a commoner. And conveniently, nobles are trained in magic and pass the exam while being at least tier 2 while commoners never have the necessary education nor talent to be tier 2, so that's their way of feigning non discrimination with their criteria.

But clearly, if Ajest went to class A while Romantica was relegated to class B, my understanding is wrong or there's some other circumstance that explains it.

That said, I was also assuming that being in class B is shameful for a noble (and class A was jeering class B by calling them losers already). However, if that is the case, all Romantica needs to do is go back home, wait a year, pass the entrance exam then and this time get in class A and have a worthwhile education at the academy (as it was explained that class B was essentially worthless.) After all, I would be very surprised if the entrance exam could only be passed once.

So yeah, hopefully there will be a satisfying explanation next chapter because right now all I'm thinking is: "But why?"

L3n

For anyone that cannot wait just like me. Here the link for all the raw chapters yet to come, it keeps auto-updating.
https://funbe.net/%EA%B7%80%ED%99%98%EC%9E%90%EC%9D%98-%EB%A7%88%EB%B2%95%EC%9D%80-%ED%8A%B9%EB%B3%84%ED%95%B4%EC%95%BC-%ED%95%A9%EB%8B%88%EB%8B%A4

P.S. If this is not allowed I apologize, I didn't know, you can take away the link immediately. Thank you for your attention.

Now wait 10-20 chapter for another class/group battle.
after this he's only searching people to be recruited for his party, for the next group battle.

Users who are viewing this thread