Why is the search feature so dam bad?

Dex-chan lover
This will probably get deleted real quick but I don't understand why the search for manga option so shit? for example when I try searching the ARTIST name ONLY and no tags, no manga title, no nothing then I expect the manga's drawn by the artist to show up and NOT a bunch of other 500 different titles of series to show up just because they happened to have 2 of the same letters together as the artist I was searching for their title or author or artist......it legit makes no sense since apparently the search engine can't different between series at all, might as well have no search engine......

idk man maybe I'm just stupid and don't understand how the search works.....

Dex-chan lover
@dokidoki at the moment artist and author names are just strings of words, so when you search, it will show all matching results. We will have a dedicated artist author pages later (PlannedTM) and the search process for them will be improved.

Double-page supporter
This will probably get deleted real quick...
Nah. MangaDex is very open to criticism, even though they rarely act on it.

Dex-chan lover
@dokidoki
Clicking on the artist/author name on a manga's page will bring you to all the works that include that author/artist, respective to which of the two you clicked. (Or at least, it includes that string of characters for the author/artist).

Contributor
We will have a dedicated artist author pages later (PlannedTM) and the search process for them will be improved.
Kinda, some authors/artists will have multiple pages.

Dex-chan lover
@bigtiddyoneesan it doesn't really do a good job at it, for example I just tried what you told me and it doesn't work with all names for authors/artist if the name is too common for example if the author's name is just "Izumi" then your gona get ALOT of "Izumi" in the search hence my issue with the search engine but since someone here said they got a planned update in the future for the search engine then theres really nothing else I can talk about other than waiting I guess, still feelsbadman

Contributor
@dokidoki don't rely on EN sources, find author's/artist's social media and stalk them.
or you can use this: https://www.mangaupdates.com
or this: https://www.anime-planet.com
or amazon to find info about their work.

Dex-chan lover
@YumGumYum and the point of your correction is? Not like I said each author or artist only has 1 page each. The point is that with the author/artist page you can find their works more easily.

Dex-chan lover
@dokidoki
Indeed, that's an issue. That's what I meant by it showing the string of characters as opposed to exact matches. At least it only affects the occasional one-name-author and such, I guess. Still does feelsbadman tho.

Dex-chan lover
@YumGumYum you act as if I don't already do that hehe but seriously tho I don't understand why I'd have to do the work to search for the authors other works online if someone has already uploaded it here but I wouldn't know just cause the search system is busted

Contributor
@Yatsuki 3 titles, 3 author pages, same author. it only works if info is correct.
+ titles can have wrongly linked authors
the point of your correction is?
dunno, may help with short names or may not ?

Dex-chan lover
@YumGumYum if it's the matter of wrong info, I reckon we will have the same report function to ask mods for adjustments. We'll get to that boat when the feature is actually implemented. And I still don't understand what short names have to do with my statement and your correction. Did I actually say anything wrong regarding the fact we'll have author and artist pages later???? Or do you just feel particularly nitpicky about what I said?
Edit: To be clear, this is not the first time you have quoted something others (including me) said, and nitpick about the details. Half the time that I could see, they are the most inconsequential things that your feedback or corrections contribute nothing to the subject at hand. So yes, I'm getting prissy about it.
Also yes, I know this is off topic, mods are welcome to restrict my commenting if they want to. I'm freaking done with Yum correcting what I say when there's nothing to correct.

Also sorry to OP for the offtopic comments.

Users who are viewing this thread