Reader update (tl;dr - if you need the data saver mode, you have to turn it back on)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Custom title
Staff
Developer
The reader has been updated to use the v2 API. We initially pointed it towards our new separate API server, but that caused some unfortunate caching-related issues. As a result, we're still using the webserver for the API calls, leaving our dreams of a 502-less future looming yet ahead of us. In any case, the reader update is permanent.

- Most importantly, the data saver option has been turned off for everyone, including guests, regardless of your previous settings. Off is the new default. You can still turn the option back on in the reader settings, and if you're worried about your data plan, you probably should.
- In desktop mode, the sidebar collapse button has been moved. Enjoy your perfectly centered images (or get annoyed that you already got used to them being slightly off-center).
- There is a new setting called "Language-based chapter filtering" which shows or hides chapters of the manga you're reading in languages other than the current chapter. Other languages are hidden by default. I imagine this setting could be useful mostly for people reading non-English chapters who don't mind jumping straight into an English chapter when there are gaps.
- There is now a nifty button to take you straight to the (still in beta) "Recommendations" page, as long as that option is enabled in your settings (Display advanced settings on -> [BETA] Recommendations). If you're not aware, it's an option that shows your recent unread follows directly inside the reader.

We'll be hard at work getting the API server functioning properly in tandem with other website features and improve the overall performance of the site. In the meantime, hopefully we can crank out some more of these little quality of life updates, at least.

Fed-Kun's army
Nothing is loading for me anymore, chapters only load if I disable all add-ons and use private browsing.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Hobnobs Support problems would be the easiest to resolve in our discord server. I can't really figure out what could be the problem from just "nothing is loading".

Double-page supporter
I'm too lazy to move my mouse all the way up there to open the sidebar, halp.

seems that the reader does not want to work.

ReferenceError: Coookies is not defined
value https://mangadex.org/dist/js/reader.prod.js?1610346568:14

is that a typo ? [ from page console ] Coookies to Cookies ?

just deleted storage.sqlite and webappstore.sqlite from my firefox profile. ignore this message .

Fed-Kun's army
Nice. I initially thought there was a bug when I didn't see the reader option on the right, because the new toggle is not easily noticeable (which is great btw).

I wonder what is the white vertical line on the left of mobile reader for? I expect it to have some kind of use but can't figure it out, can't expand it at all.

Dex-chan lover
Sure, data saver mode is pretty neat. But what about data spender mode?

@MavB_Ver
I think it's just the white vertical line that separates the page from sidebar in the desktop view.

Group Leader
@Samhill
220px-Just-Cause-win-cover.jpg

Group Leader
okay let me try to explain what I’ve found in proper English

I tried the [BETA] recommendations
[ol]
[li] it shows all 16 language I selected in the language filter
(I was thinking maybe if it has different settings than the global settings, I’d only choose English and Indonesia because that’s the only 2 language I can read. FYI, I select the other language in the filter because sometimes I can find great manga that doesn’t have English chapters yet so I can bookmark them first)
[li] it shows that I haven’t read a certain chapter even though what actually happen is a title has 2 or more specific chapter in the same language (this is not a major problem but it’s nice if it could be improved)
see this pic and this pic for example
[li] I thought I can go back to reading mode if I click recommendation again but turns out I need to use my browser’s back button to do it (I use Safari browser on iPad)
[/ol]

still, thank you for the new feature, I can see this becomes very useful for myself
hope this helps

Dex-chan lover
Wouldn't it help with MD's own expenses if data saver was on by default for Solo Leveling?

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
@Kaarme The issue with SL is sheer usercount, not bandwidth. Wouldn't make a difference, and defaulting to compressed images is a horrible idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread