Mega Contest: First Anniversary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
There've been a few bumps along the way (including an unfortunate couple of months where contests didn't run as planned) but we've finally made it the end of year Mega Contest that I've been talking about both on and off of Discord!

This contest will encompass November, December, and January's contests. The reason why we are letting this contest go on so long is because the difficultly level will be much higher than past contests. Only the best of the best entries will win the grand prize!

Speaking of prizes, I should mention that the winner of this prize will get some pretty good stuff! They will receive $40 in Amazon Gift Cards, a mouse mat provided by @Holo, at least one triple A game title provided by @Lymus, a free tshirt featuring their winning design, and possibly an additional prize *if* it's ready to launch on the website by the time the contest ends. What you see here is the absolute minimum that the grand prize winner will receive and prizes could change as they become available!

And now the contest: You will be designing a t-shirt for MangaDex! There are no limits on creativity here. We don't ask that you use our mascot or a particular art style. The sky is the limit!

Be warned that judging for this contest will be closed to staff due to our extremely high standards. We want people to throw themselves at this contest to produce the very best art they are capable of to help celebrate the holidays, the new year, and MD's first anniversary!

The Rules:
1. Entrants will have from 11/14/2018 to midnight of 1/17/2019 Eastern Standard Time to submit their entries. All work submitted after that time will be disqualified.
2. All artwork must be original. Don't submit DBZ fanart or something, though you could make a design in the DBZ art style.
3. The design must include the MD logo *somewhere*, though how you incorporate it is up to you
4. Plagiarism will not be tolerated. It will mean instant disqualification.
5. 11/26/18 Addendum: The winning entry will have all rights of ownership transferred to MD in case we decide to sell shirts or other merchandise. In all fairness, this was not made painfully clear and it should have been in the original version of the post. Should an entrant wish, they can withdraw their entry from consideration. Please do not enter this contest if you do not agree to this rule!

Submit your entries here in the Mega Contest Entry Thread, place your images in spoilers, and ping me so I'm aware of your entry.

Best of luck to everyone!

is a Reindeer
VIP
For the unaware, this is our mascot
icon_by_caprisu-dcfctxm.png

https://mangadex.org/thread/10410/2/#post_85766
https://mangadex.org/thread/10410/1/#post_76370

Power Uploader
So is this like her cat or something...?
HMkVGL0.png

Also... (totally canon) her cosplaying.

gpWBLOZ.png

EDIT: Good job @Constipat8, you got a chuckle out of me...

Group Leader
@Zephyrus
"All artwork must be original. Don't submit DBZ fanart or something, though you could make a design in the DBZ art style."
can u please explain more about this thank u .

is a Reindeer
VIP
@Tenshi_Hana Don't draw fanart of existing characters from other franchises. We won't sell a shirt that has Kirby, Mario, Kirito, Goku, etc etc. cause we don't own those series

@NZPIEFACE The logo is either the name of the site or the cat. Preferably the name of the site. You can alter/display it however you want.
Our banner uses Raleway Bold as a font if you want to copy it.
default.light.png

@m3ch_mania You can save the SVGs from the navbar or the forum icons themselves, if you wanted those cats. We don't have the illustrator files for them unfortunately :x

Is there a image resolution minimum? Maximum?
Two-sided design? Can it take up the whole shirt or only limited to a rectangular space?
Want one of those mock-up images?

Miku best girl
Admin
The higher the resolution, the better. Max of 4000x1500, so it's only the rectangular space. Can be 2 sided design.

Staff
Super Moderator
I apologize for not answering everyone's questions sooner. The last day and change has been crazy.

There was a shootout next door and a neighbor died.

There was an ice storm and the electricity went out.

The sump pump, which keeps our basement from flooding, needed a new battery since the old one died because the electricity went out.

My grandmother's memorial service was a few hours ago and I just got home.

Just goes to show that truth is much stranger than fiction.

@m3ch_mania
See ply's post.

@Tenshi_Hana
To use the example of DBZ again, you can use the visual style that Akira Toriyama uses when drawing DBZ characters, but you cannot use a DBZ character in the contest.

I think Ply answered everything else.

Power Uploader
@Zephyrus could we ask the original designers if they have SVGs? Or at least have them provide the greatest-resolution copy they have?

Staff
Super Moderator
@daMezzaluna
Yep. We're not gonna restrict creativity! Be aware though that if I were you I wouldn't bother submitting simple changes like color schemes. I would suggest that they be completely different designs.

Group Leader
@Zephyrus
Sorry to hear about your ordeal and grandmother. I had a similar set of circumstances earlier this year around when Batoto shut down before mangadex was founded, minus the close proximity shooting (although there's no shortage of people being shot dead on weekly basis in my gang-crime-ridden city), and my own grandmother's passing was fairly recent a few months ago as well. So I totally get you...shit happens, and more often than we'd like, snowballing downhill like the butterfly effect.

Has it really been nearly a whole year already? Time sure flew by fast.

Edit: I'm dumb, going right now to the real thread. I feel really really dumb :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread