Mugen no Gunkan Yamato

Unrelated but reading the history of this ship, it didn't really perform well for how much it costs.

Dex-chan lover
Wow, I totally didn't expect the author to create this kind of manga...

Dex-chan lover
@assfield @GNetNe If you guys are talking about the shitty Mangadex search results it's because "Moto Souichi" is part of the name Yamamoto Souichiro. The mangaka for this series is a well known ultranationalist.

This is Moto Souichi:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souichi_Moto

This is the more famous mangaka Yamamoto Souichiro:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C5%8Dichir%C5%8D_Yamamoto

Fed-Kun's army
@sssr
Yeah I kind of figured out it wasn't him after looking at the art.
Honestly there's been quite a few of these ultra Japanese nationalist manga's in recent years. I forget the name of one of them, but they weren't even trying to hide it and read like a straight up propaganda pamphlet with a school girl main character complaining about minorities in japan.

Dex-chan lover
I can't believe someone made a manga about a kankolle girl turned into a real battleship lo/

Daily reminder even with japanese katana folded 1000 time there's no way that the japanese can win the Pacific War

Dex-chan lover
@metalslime even the Japanese knew this, to an extent. They believed that they will definitely lose a dragged-out war with the US because of its production capacity, and all their hopes were riding on the Pearl Harbour attack inflicting so much damage that the US decides not to join the war. Unfortunately for them, they didn't sink aircraft carriers. I believe the carriers were in some other port at the time.

This revisionist shit is always so hilariously dumb. Like, OK, you tell Yamamoto exactly what's going to happen: the USN will roflstomp your entire fleet, because your plans are way to complicated and fall apart at the first setback; they broke your codes and are reading all your stuff; in about three years from now they will be building one fleet carrier per week; and in four years from now they have nukes, the end.

What do you think that's going to accomplish? Yamamoto already pretty much knew how terrible an idea it was to antagonize the USA; he had trained with the USN. He still couldn't convince anyone to change anything, because an authoritarian military dictatorship is not a rational entity. You think anyone would have listened any harder if he came up with "but nukes"?

And that's not even getting into the utter delusion of somehow beating a nation that's thousands of miles away overseas, is literally the size of a continent, outnumbers you 3:1 and outproduces you 10:1. You need a serious industrial asspull to even make that plausible. But I'm sure there'll be some handwaving about "fate" and "superior fighting spirit" or somesuch bullshit. Revisionists are always so disappointingly unimaginative.

@GryphusOne Exactly, and Yamamoto knew that wouldn't work because of his experience with the USN. Nobody listened to his objections, because taking them seriously would have meant an end to their imperialist ambitions in SE Asia, and that was unacceptable.

(Aside: the carriers were out on exercises IIRC and not in port. Even if they had been, I don't think it would have changed the ultimate outcome at all, except for a longer war and many more dead. First, the primary target of the operation was still the battleships; the CVs might not have even suffered very much damage. Second, even if they had all been lost, it would only have delayed the inevitable while new ones were being built. The USA was not going to just walk away after Pearl Harbour.)

Revisionist fantasy garbage.

We need to start calling out Japan over this shit.

@NKato It's time for the Japanese to call out their ultranationalists over this shit. They won't give a hoot when outsiders do it, cuz, well, they're nationalists. But that may change when the criticism is domestic in origin.
Kind of like how Germany started to finally deal with its past when the German youth started calling out their parents and grandparents in the 1960's and 1970's, that quietly trying to ignore and forget what they had all been complicit in, or even god forbid being nostalgic for it, was not OK. It got a lot better after that.
Japan never went through a similar process, and shit like this is the result.

Dex-chan lover
@sssr Oh, thank you for clearing up that up.

I was about to make a joke about Takagi committing Atrocities and War crimes lol

Users who are viewing this thread