Fan-colored manga/pages should be banned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group Leader
It looks like some scanlators are getting ahead of themselves, putting ugly (partially) colored pages in the chapter, LARPing as the mangaka. Even worse when they straight up removed the original page. Some people tolerate and defend this because "it looks good", but that's not the point. You have Deviantart for that. Go there.

Just a few examples
https://mangadex.org/title/17274/kaguya-sama-wa-kokurasetai-tensai-tachi-no-renai-zunousen
https://mangadex.org/title/40070/bakapple
And that maid one with the purple eyes.

I understand your frustration but if MD don't bother with the quality of translations, why should they do this?

Double-page supporter
And some of them don't even bother to look for official colored illustrations to pick proper skin/hair/whatever tones.

> Fan-colored manga/pages should be banned

I second this suggestion!

Dex-chan lover
Maybe there should be a rule that fan-colored pages must also have their non-colored counterparts in the same chapter (if only some pages are colored).

Side note, but I pretty much always prefer non-colored manga compared to colored manga, but there are some fan-colors that are pretty impressive and worth reading.

Also, that last line sounded better in my head.

Contributor
+1
tenor.gif

Made in Abyss colored shit is a good one example and that Houseki no Kuni.

they tried their best, though they had it.

Dex-chan lover
"Why are there chapters missing from this manga?"
"The only group that ever translated it tried coloring some pages, and that made some people upset so they're not allowed on the site."

Custom title
Staff
Developer
There are historical reasons as for why we can't just straight up ban the practice (scanlators used to do this a lot back in the day, look at Bleach for example). Telling people to create and use a "Fan-colored" version of the title was supposed to be the compromise, but yeah, I guess this is still happening.

I guess we'll have to have another discussion about it. Personally, I fucking hate this shit.

+1
I hate it.
But it’s an old practice. Too late to change it.
Consider it’s a payment for their time.

Dex-chan lover
Here's a long form post.

First of all, I really don't like them either. Some are good, but a good deal of the time they're done with the basic palette of whatever image editing software they were using with a terrible approximation of "flesh color".

But let's break this down:

On the subject of entire chapters:
I don't know if there should be a rule change concerning when a group decides to fan-color a single chapter for whatever reason. Should there be an entire new title created for that one chapter or should there be a new description in the rule to allow "(Fan-colored)" to be added to the chapter's name?

Or should there be a "Fan-Colored" group that can be added as the first group of a chapter so people can block those?

On the subject of colored copies of one or two pages:
I see this a lot, with the volume and genres I read. I can generally predict when these will happen. It's funny in this case that in a site where people upload chapters with machine translations or where entire pages of dialogue have been replaced with memespeak, this is a thing where people are getting angry about a scanlator caring too much.
Anyway, I see one of those and a single click or keyboard press banishes them from my sight forever. They waste less than one second of my time.

On the subject of pages being colored without originals:
Feel free to berate the scan group about these, though there's something I want to mention that was brought up by the OP...

On the subject of My Recently Hired Maid Is Suspicious:
I'm not sure how many people would be generous enough to call this a "gray area", but here's the facts of this case:
[ul]
[*]Coloring Lilith's eyes purple was a quirk of the original author for the source material
[*]Obviously, the author could not do this for a print manga
[*]The first chapter was originally uploaded un-edited, and the scanlator only added it later after like 5~6 comments to the effect of "I miss the colored eyes"
[*]Despite the use of a slightly different shade of purple, the scanlator's edits are essentially identical to the original webcomic
[/ul]

EDIT: I guess at the end of the day the most important part is that this is a place where scanlators upload their work, and those color pages were a part of their work regardless if everyone likes it or not. The only times there have been exceptions to that philosophy are when the scanlator has intentionally created something that cannot be even charitably considered a translation or when they've added something that becomes a human decency issue

i think @MrIncognito has the right idea if it is going to be allowed, the chapter name should include "(Fan-colored)" similar to the Fan Colored manga x. I'd go so far to say if it isn't the chapter get's deleted until it is uploaded with the appropriate chapter title.

And @Kanami-chan wow, don't read the first manga you linked to but went and looked and it was butt ugly with the fan color.

I really hate when tler's try to modify the authors work. Not talking about the obvious clean up or imperfect but honest attempts at translations but making actual changes whether it is fan coloring, meme's in the middle rather then at the end in their area or other crap. I want to read the authors story not someone else's.

Group Leader
I think it'd be hard to ban fan-colored manga. MD doesn't care if a manga is badly translated, so I don't see them interfering with this. The most I can see them do is to require a label that says "fan-colored" on chapters that contain those pages. Or not allowing uploaders to mix original pages and fan-colored pages. What do people do when they see crappy translations? Block the group and the uploader. MD will probably recommend doing just that if someone sees fan-colored chapters.

I haven't seen many of these, to be honest. They must be very rare. Some of those aren't too awful, I think. But I can see how some people might be annoyed when come across many bad ones.

Are sure we need to talk about fan colored page when this kind of things still exist
captur10.jpg
captur12.jpg
captur13.jpg

Bless the translator/editor, but pls, learn some editing skills....
That goes the same for the colored page too... Pls, learn some coloring skills... And don't LARP... Just put the colored page and credits... That's it...

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
In my personal opinion, fan colors are terrible and should not have been allowed along with "user-created" content. We are not deviantart.

Not to mention that the fan coloring community totally and permanently lost my goodwill after some assholes fan colored Boruto official rips and caused Japanese publishers to focus on us a little too closely.

Contributor
@Zephyrus
should not have been allowed along with "user-created" content
+1
tenor.gif

would've been nice to limit member's "add" power
https://mangadex.org/title/58190/a
https://mangadex.org/title/58191/demon-slayer

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Amended the rules (rewrote 3.2.7) to disallow replacing original pages entirely with fan-colored pages outside of a title with (Fan-Colored) in its name. Adding fan-colored pages is still okay in the "regular" titles, but they need to be at the end of a chapter and the original pages must be included.

This rule will be retroactively applied, but not globally and systematically, so don't go reporting chapters from manga that have been completed for years or stuff like that.

Dex-chan lover
@Kanami-chan
There is a report button for chapters that you can use for chapters breaking the rules. It's the one with the little flag icon inside the reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread