A distinct tag for the "historical fantasy in a monarchy setting with a protag about to cause a paradigm shift"

Group Leader
What I'm NOT suggesting: a tag for isekai with a female protagonist. I am not suggesting a girlsekai tag.

What I am suggesting: The premise of a girl getting isekai'd into an otome game has developed into its own distinct and prolific subgenre, one where stories are clearly influenced by said premise yet do not feature it. Given the popularity of subgenre, a singular tag would be beneficial.

Tag name suggestions: Second Chance Noble/Otome Phoenix/Phoenix Protagonist/Otome Isekai/Otoisekai I'm not the greatest at nicknames but you get the idea

"We already have an Isekai tag"
As the subgenre has grown, the isekai premise has dwindled in use, leaving stories that obviously stem from the same tree axed off as if they aren't kin - There's manga that start off with a girl realizing she's a Japanese girl reborn as a villainess in a western historical monarchy fantasy dating sim after it's too late to change course, and there's manga that start off with a villainess in a historical monarchy fantasy setting world realizing it's too late to change course. One is isekai, one isn't, both are siblings.

I have concrete examples of sibling western historical monarchy setting fantasies that aren't covered by isekai - turning back time to correct the future (Just Throw Me Away), escaping abuse (Monster Duchess), inheriting to kickstart the plot (Cheerful Countess Sisters), antagonist acting like this is isekai but it isn't (Of Course I'll Claim Palimony), marriage contract stuff (This is an Obvious Fraudulent Marriage), spunky tomboy princess simply isn't interested in the prince (The Black-Haired Princess), and revenge (anything that starts up with the guillotine coming down), so on.

"Why can't you guys just use filters?"
I know I'm not the only one using a filter combo of shoujo OR josei + fantasy-isekai-magic- historical + reincarnation OR time travel OR revenge OR villainess OR isekai - this seems more convoluted and inefficient than need be. And it still leaves out stories that are clearly relevant, such as the seinen The Villainess' Slow Prison Life Began with Her Broken Engagement. Sometimes finding these is a matter of whether the Similar Manga algorithm tells you it exists

"We just gave you a Villainess tag"
You did, and I'm so grateful for that - Villainess is its own subgenre of a subgenre and deserves the tag.
That said, not all or even most of the stories mentioned are about villainess characters, and that's what I'm getting at. Shadow Queen is the type of story anyone looking up the villainess tag would want, but she's not really a villainess. Same with Monster Duchess, Beware of the Brothers, or A Stepmother's Märchen.

I tried to be as neutral, thorough, and specific in presenting my suggestion as possible - this is about what would be useful, not about what I want.
but hey just in case the opposite tactic works: please, pretty please add a tag for this subgenre, in fact here's a screenshot of comics I'm currently following on MD that fall in, using the v casual slang I've been calling it
fxJsURW.jpg
This isn't all of them, not even close. Just what I'm following.

Also please don't make fun of me for writing an essay : ( I'm just Like That

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Sometimes the urge rises to just remove half the tags we already have

Dex-chan lover
Refreshing to see a suggestion that had some actual time and effort put into it, even if it's a tag suggestion.

@Lemongrassv
Is there any tag on MangaUpdates that's akin to what you're suggesting? Because if even a user-generated tag site hasn't categorized what you're describing, then I doubt MDex would add a tag like that.

Seeing as how MDex doesn't have an "Otome" tag, wouldn't that narrow it down enough?

I'll admit I'm not too familiar with these types of mangos, so I may be misunderstanding the genres and whatnot. But the fact still stands that tags on this site are rather broad by default, and for good reason. As of now, I wouldn't oppose an "Otome" tag specifically.
(Also I just had to retype this comment because of a bad gateway. I blame those damn solo levelers.)

EDIT:
Sometimes the urge rises to just remove half the tags we already have
The duality of man.

Group Leader
I did expect some pushback, ha. I'm sure tags and tag requests for every little thing is irritating to developers

@4V29LN0n
I agree, the sooner writers drop the truck-kun'd into a dating sim/book/video game thing and just play these stories straight, with no meta-commentary, the better.

@bigtiddyoneesan
I did find that "Second Chances" is a tag but on second thought, the term is probably too vague to be useful. There was "nobles" and "aristocrats" as well but I actually think your suggestion of Otome fits the best! It gets the ambiance and story-type across efficiently.

Dex-chan lover
will this thread become Villainess 2 - electric boogaloo?

and why people still use historical tag for mangas thats clearly not historical?
what even is historical tag
like goddamn

You have my full support. I have long since stated historical tag is meaningless.

I love historical tag. It’s the way I found many great mangas set in Ancient China/Japan/Europe.

You have my full support. I have long since stated historical tag is meaningless.

if nothing else a rule where isekai and historical are mutually exclusive.

Or part of the definition of historical is probably more appropriate rather then a rule. Then if somebody requested that the historical tag be added you could look, see the restriction and say nope or yep as appropriate.

Users who are viewing this thread