Retired Heroes - Ch. 18 - Shattered

VIP
shots fired, damn....

anyways, intense chapter... she almost killed herself...

Never fan of chinese manga this is exception.. looking forward to this ?

Contributor
@grimjaw22
I agree, Most of the Chinese Manhua are "over the top" however this one seems to be very close to what could and would happen which is a refreshing change

Dex-chan lover
I never liked these kinds of story telling. The Id coming in, sending the person in darkness with everyone they care for "showing their real feelings." She should know better, because that's the type of character she is.
You can't just have this sort of thing be a one off episode where they play on all of her fears and she almost kills herself. That demeans her character completely.

This should have taken longer. Maybe over the course of days or months. The people around her giving her frightened glances as she tries to buy groceries. The Id slowly chipping away at her stoic and calm nature, worming its fears into her. Only to break down when the town bullies her daughter and she states it was, "because I'm the daughter of a demon". Which would only be a statement, Tifa doesn't give a shit, but to her mother it would be the final straw. As if all those doubts finally had truth behind them.
Then we could have had the- "whatever they're going to do to fix Saliy" moment. Maybe she leaves and Tifa goes on an adventure. Maybe someone slaps her. I dunno.

Yep, would've been better to do this slowly perhaps as something that was going on in the background instead of all at once. It isn't terrible but could've been done better.

XL

Double-page supporter
Mom's going to turn evil, kill everyone, daughter is forced to kill her own mommy, end. Did I get it right? ?

Dex-chan lover
@Vasqueztion If this came out of nowhere I would agree with you, but in this case she just came into contact with an insanity inducing will of chaos. This did not come out of the blue, it was explained in the previous chapter that the spell can drive people insane. I picture this as her performing her SAN check.

Dex-chan lover
This doesn't really make sense.
She did this for long enough to have a daughter and NOW she suddenly has second thoughts about this entire matter?

This series really took a turn. I was expecting something much lighter. I don't mind dark, but this is more petulant than dark. The husband leaving is wife, who he knows just to a mental beating, alone because he pissed at her; petty. I hope an actual plot emerges soon cause drama alone doesn't constitute an actual story.

Dex-chan lover
@Superioreos
Monstrosity aside, her character has been one of calm and calculation. She accounts for everything, even weaving magic into her families clothing.
So having "herself" show up and start declaring her worthless, then showing her scenes that only play on a psychosis, she should have realized it was the abyss magic's side-effects.
You can't have the calm and collected one try and rip her own throat out after what we can only assume to be an hour. Like I said, it should have broken her down. It would make more sense, given her character.

Users who are viewing this thread