Series status automatically change to 'Reading' when chapter(s) read

Fed-Kun's army
A frustration I've encountered several times, the solution for which seems like a pretty intuitive change.

I mark a series with the 'Plan to read' action, then start reading it at some later point. However, because chapters don't get marked as read when a series is under 'Plan to read', despite my opening and reading chapters - they don't marked as such, and I lose track of where I was when I return to the series.

It seems simple to implement - when a chapter is opened, have the action for the series automatically change to 'Reading' (at the very least for series that had been marked 'Plan to read'), and opened chapters become marked as read.

Fed-Kun's army
TL;DR

1. Automatically switch status of a series to 'Reading' when a chapter is read (for series marked 'Plan to read')
2. Hence also automatically start marking read chapters as 'read'

Double-page supporter
>Automatically switch status of a series to 'Reading' when a chapter is opened (at least for series marked 'Plan to read')

What if I opened chapter just to check why did I "plan to read" it? Or some other reason without real plan to reading it?

> It seems simple to implement - when a chapter is opened, have the action for the series automatically change to 'Reading'

It seems simple to "implement" by yourself - change manga status to "reading" then start reading.

Dex-chan lover
I often tend to read the first few chapters of things in my "plan to read" list just to see if it's something I want to start reading right now. If I want to continue reading, I just go back to the page, set it to reading, and manually click the eyes. More often than that, it turns out it's not something I want to be reading at the moment and I want it to stay as it is.

Plus, mass marking as read is planned.

Dex-chan lover
What if I opened chapter just to check why did I "plan to read" it
Same with me. I think this addition would cause a lot of "wait, why is this set to 'Reading'?" cases.

As it's an overall nonissue, I don't think this will be implemented.

Fed-Kun's army
If you start reading a series marked 'Plan to read', you are now 'Reading' it and hence the status should automatically change to reflect this, I feel. If you then choose to stop reading it for whatever reason, a conscious decision, that can be reflected in a conscious action by the user to manually change the status back.

It just seems like a very intuitive thing to happen, at least for series marked 'Plan to read'. Obviously I'm not saying this should happen to all series, only those marked 'Plan to read'.

As for why I feel it should be automated (as opposed to manually making the change oneself), see OP, as yes of course doing it manually is easy but causes read chapters not be marked and makes progress tracking more confusing.

TBH - if read chapters were marked as read even in series marked 'Plan to read', this would be another (though lesser) solution - as currently chapters can only marked as 'read' in series with the 'Reading' status.

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
Although I do find it a little annoying, I don't mind. When I mark something as planned to read/leave it unmarked and then binge read 20/50/80 chapters back to back, it is a chore having to click each individual eye, especially if there are multiple languages and/or groups doing it.

But there's an easy solution, just mark it as reading and click the last chapter you read, maybe some more. Once the series ends, click completed and voilá, everything is read. Magical.

Doing this would make it confusing tbh, you would constantly be asking yourself "Am I reading this? When did I mark it?" I prefer manual control.

Contributor
1. Um... no
f0657b4f0818e77afa1fe387d35333ed.gif

[*] 2. Planned > Mark as read (for manga not followed)

Staff
Super Moderator
@YumGumYum
Why did you have to use Kaede-chan? I'm literally going to cry rn.

Staff
Super Moderator
@bigtiddyoneesan
I can't shit because I haven't eaten anything in 10 hours and I can't do the other thing because I'm depressed.

Users who are viewing this thread