Handyman Saitou in Another World - Vol. 1 Ch. 7

Dex-chan lover
Oh good, I was looking for 2D depictions of positive social interactions I'll never have in real life so I can live vicariously through people who never existed, letting me forget about the gaping emotional hole in my chest for a few minutes. How timely.

Dex-chan lover
This Satou is a lot more interesting, not like the other empty Satou!

e: oops his name is Saitou. ?

This chapter defies all expectations.
The old man didn't forget him, the pixie failed to charge him 1 gold coin for the rescue, and the knight took off her helmet.
All chara development down the drain. The question Saitou should be asking now is "WHO THE HELL ARE THESE PEOPLE!"

Dex-chan lover
He has a bleak outlook on life. He expected his party to abandon him. The two girls even have tears in their eyes :)

Double-page supporter
I kinda miss the days when “feels” didn’t replace the word “emotional” or “emotions”. Feels is so... soulless.

Fed-Kun's army
@Talismaster

I blame it, at least partially, on texting with smartphones and Twitter's character limits; both of these encourage the use of the fewest keystrokes possible.
Of course, abbreviating text as much as possible goes back to the very beginning of computing, due to the memory limits they were dealing with.

It's a very different world than the one I grew up in.
I remember back in grade school, when my father was responsible for setting up the City of Salem, Oregon's Utility Billing system using a state of the art 12Kb IBM Mainframe computer, one of the earliest that would accept a program from punch cards instead of having to use jumper wires to set the program. 12Kb was the largest program you could enter.
A couple of years later, my sister's first portable battery operated calculator, which would only add, subtract, multiply and divide, cost US $50.00.
I was in high school when my parents got a used electronic typewriter, which replaced the portable manual typewriter my mother had gotten back when she was in college.

I'll be 58 in a month.
Man, I ain't seen nothing, my grandparents were all born before 1900, and my maternal grandmother was 104 when she died in 2001; she went from horse & buggy to men walking on the Moon, from telegraphs to cell phones!

Craziness, man, craziness.

Double-page supporter
@Weasalopes
The slang “feels” escaped 4chan when their memes were basically stolen. By Facebook and reddit, I think. It was like a group of kids looking in from the outside, and wanted in on all the silly retarded fun 4chan was having. And then the fad (memes) spread throughout the internet.

Basically people going
>that feel when (something to be envied) will never happen to you
or similar. “I never asked for these feels”. It was their own special internet slang. Kinda like how they “corrupted” LOL into LEL, LUL, or KEK. A more modern example would be those wojak things, or Pepe the frog. Both originally came from 4chan I think, but were released into the wide web. Because they are considered “exploitable”, in the sense anyone that could use a paint program could modify it, somehow Pepe became associated with Nazis or hate speech. Somehow. Pepe was originally just a “feels good man” “feelsbadman” kind of thing before the... memetic mutation.

Internet meme history lesson aside, yeah, we could attribute it to limited characters, or internet shorthand. But I still don’t like it; it’s leaking into reality where I live, and at the colleges and universities, you can hear people unironically saying “feels”, not as “touching”, but as the internet slang definition. You see it on Facebook and Twitter memes. I’m not an English major, but it just makes me angry that people can watch a sob story, and say, “That made me feelsy, I’m tearing up, I’m about to cry.” Emotional. You’re feeling emotional, dang it.

Users who are viewing this thread