Golden Kamuy - Vol. 26 Ch. 258 - Burden

Fed-Kun's army
He thinks Sugimoto only cares about the gold. That's a fatal mistake, and I can't wait til Sugimoto rips his guts out for laying a hand on Asirpa

Was wondering when Boutaro was gonna turn on them, now that he's done this is he gonna get killed soon though?
Also pretty much everyone called Ogata being with the government ages ago too

Double-page supporter
Thank you as always for the quality update and informative notes ehscans

So Asirpa and Sugimoto get separated... Again. Hope Kadokura doesn't bite za dust

Guys, how old is asirpa again? I think it was mentioned before, but i can’t seem to remember

Boutaro basically pulled a Kiroranke but will probably be less effective at it. Doesn't feel as well planned, doesn't have someone like Ogata to help him out when things inevitably go south and has no guarantee he doesn't run into Hijikata's group or the 7th division. It is interesting to see his approach compared to Kiroranke where instead of forcing the future of the Ainu on Asirpa but instead telling her to abandon it while also using what he believes are feelings for Sugimoto to his advantage. All of that being said It feels like we are beginning to enter the endgame of this series and it seems very likely that Boutaro's going to die this arc because him running off with Asirpa and being chased by an alliance of the three major groups could feel way to similar to the aforementioned Kiroranke betrayal.

Double-page supporter
@Teruru I don't think official ages have been given, but there's a blog post (https://goldenkamuyhunting.tumblr.com/post/181664485998/do-you-have-estimates-of-the-character-ages) that estimated the ages based on info given. Asirpa is around 13 (close to marriage age for Ainu, old enough that her grandmother says she should get the face tattoos).

I can't imagine we'll get another kidnapped Asirpa arc, so Boutarou's probably not getting too far. I feel like this is setting up Asirpa to kill Boutarou. He represents her desire to live a peaceful life with Sugimoto, at the cost of betraying her people, so her killing him will represent her taking up the cause of the Ainu, and the bloodshed it entails.

Boutaro and Kiroranke are both projecting themselves onto Asirpa. One wants to live a carefree life with a family, the other wants indigenous independence from Russia and Japan. So naturally that's what they use to try convince Asirpa with.

Now the biggest suspense left really is not where is the gold and who will die, but what will Asirpa choose.

Users who are viewing this thread