Sony's buying Crunchyroll. That's Crazy.

Dex-chan lover
Wasn't sure if this should go into Anime or News, but I think it's more appropriate here.

Just discovered a new article on Eurogamer saying Sony is in final negotiations to buy Crunchyroll. So, basically, they'd have a monopoly in North America, at least. Although, if Funimation starts releasing all of Crunchyroll's stuff physically again; I think I'd be ok with it. Or, Sony would just merge them.

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
Is this good or bad?

Hmm, whether this is good or bad depends on whether or not they put in the money to hire quality translators and quality checkers.
Crunchyroll's translations have been between pretty decent and hilariously bad to the point of misspelling important character's names.....having subscribers tell them it's wrong and give correction to it but them going forward with that misspelling instead of fixing it.

I just hope they don't do a lot of pointless censorship that Sony has been known for in the last few years...

Double-page supporter
North America still has Netflix and Amazon. There's no monopoly.

Dex-chan lover
It doesn't really affect me because CR is not even available in my country haha. Though if Sony will make it available...

Double-page supporter
I don't mind as long as they don't change reader so I don't have to rewrite/tune ripper 😎 It's not hard but I'm lazy :/

@bigtiddyoneesan
images

@crimsondevil2903
First off, nice Shuten.

And it's possible. I don't know how big Crunchyroll is (as a company) at this point, but Sony could potentially dmca any website hosting anime streams featuring anime that uses CR subs.
This could be a big hit or thinking positively it could cause a resurgence in fansubs....actual fansubs.

@SingLove
Thanks for the info. I also want to ask how likely is the possibilities of DMCA? I mean most fansub could just change the font and tell them that it their or something like that and avoids DMCA in a whole.

@crimsondevil2903
Hmmm...even though I said it I don't think it's likely. I mean if they owned the rights to the ip then yeah dmca left, right and center. But from what I know (and I can most certainly be wrong) they just own the rights to legally stream. Use your own subs or alter theirs and should be ok.
Kinda like if netflix tried to dmca a show they didn't exclusively own. It would be an uphill battle for them unless they threw a lot of money at it. Then it becomes a matter of if it's worth it to them.

Users who are viewing this thread