Golden Kamuy - Vol. 18 Ch. 177 - Hasegawa's Photo Studio

Fed-Kun's army
The mismatch between the Russian text and what's being said is outright amazing this chapter. In some cases none of the original meaning remains, in one panel the pronoun points to the wrong person. Whoever can communicate with Noda in Japanese should notify him because this is unacceptable imo.

Also, 'narodnik' doesn't mean 'go to the people'; the suffix -(n)ik is a lot like the English -er/-or or -ist (depending on whether the word is of a French or German origin), so basically it's 'peoplist' if that was a word. So the closest (most literal) translation would be 'one that represents the people' or 'one that chooses the people'.

Group Leader
@ElBichoRaro

It seems to be a simple mistake. I don't really know, since I can't read Russian, but I've heard a few times that this chapter has a number of them. In any case, in the Japanese text he is called "Grigori."

@ElBichoRaro
I, personally, think it might be fake names? Since they're wanted, after all.

It's a shame that the Russian is said to be messed up when the author is both trying to be realistic and put an effort into it, though.

Fed-Kun's army
Yup, agreed that the Gregori was supposed to be Wilk's fake name, and that the person responsible for the Russian part in this chapter severely messed up. Still, it's a LOT better than in the wast majority of the media that try to use mixed foreign languages. So far it's been pretty outstanding in the Golden Kamui. (Wish we could hear how accurate the Ainu parts are too.)

Also @ehscans, top notch work on the in-depth tidbits as well, I really enjoy them!

Group Leader
Thanks for all the great work ehscans! And thanks moozooh for the explanation.

Yep, usually Russian is quite good in this series, but that chapter really felt out of place compared to previous ones. But I agree, it's still better than in majority of media.

Dex-chan lover
Kiroranke still needs to die for eating a lynx once... even if he knows what is important for a lady.

Users who are viewing this thread