Retired Heroes - Ch. 13 - A Young Girl's Resolve

Dex-chan lover
Ah. So Saliy was living in the mountains as a single mother until the day the king faked his death..? They tried to scare people from going up there, but it only caused wannabe heroes to meet their ends to a genuine hero... Or maybe they were together, and were still in the process of getting the town to warm up to them? Either way, there’s probably going to more and more discrimination.

Dex-chan lover
Power, Responsibility, and Duty

Just as the parents are bound by them, so are the children.

Fed-Kun's army
Well.

I guess she does have something going for her after all.
She realized that she couldn't let the adults know what was happening, for fear that they'd do something that would endanger the townsfolk.
Realizing that it was her fault, she choose to risk herself to do what was needed.

Still a headstrong fool, but at least a headstrong fool who can recognize the results of her actions when her nose is rubbed in them.
There's the possibility that if she lives long enough she might cease being a headstrong fool and instead become what she thinks she already is.
Noble rank may be inherited, but nobility is earned by hard labour.

Dex-chan lover
I hate these plot lines. Powerless, net liability character decide <Ralph_Wiggums_I'm_helping.jpg> and cause a bunch of problems, but suffer no real consequences. She's not taking responsibility. She's too naive to take responsibility. Taking such a (the most likely worst) course of action without full knowledge of the situation is just foolishness.
Personally I'd like to see such stupid moves result in the character getting killed, getting others trying to rescue them killed, or cause the whole plan to go awry, as they try to rescue the character, and get most everyone killed. Anything else is just droll and tiered writing.

Fed-Kun's army
This is interesting. The girls both feel hurt from town gossip for different reasons and are taking it out on everyone else and by making reckless decisions. I also kind of blame the parents for underestimating the impact of their reputation on their daughters mental state. Especially since being the child of a noble or the child of a demon there is just so much more baggage that a child isn't going to be able to cope with alone or healthily.

Aggregator gang
guys, chill... this is not Goblin Slayer, everything will end up just fine, the kid will be save and both of them will be friend, the hero will be accepted by everyone, maybe ten or so villager will be dead, but so what, they are just villager anyway...

Dex-chan lover
@humbleoverlord i don't know what fluffy land you come from you lazy 5000 old dragon (from Yowai 5000-nen no Soushoku Dragon, Iware naki Jaryuu Nintei wish manga updates a lot more) XD

sure i think she going to make friend with a noble girl but with other villagers? i don't think all of them will accept her hall i can see them in down of the road they going try to kick them out of town or tall the wing order (i am not sure if it the church or the army) like the old man and dumb old woman in chapter 10 i am 100% they going to to do something to our poor girl and her hot demon mom :(

ughhh i want moar

giphy.gif

Adults are dumb as fuck for always making kids belive nonsense like nobility always bla bla bla...

Dex-chan lover
Gotta give it to the kid, she's got guts.
Just hope they don't end outside her body in short order.

Dex-chan lover
Man, a lot of people are making negative comments about the writing (Mary Sue this, tired writing that, etc.) and I guess this just shows they had more expectations but the issue is that they're commenting based on what they think will happen, before we've even seen it happen.

Someone found that Chris was a Mary Sue character, but he has shown plenty of flaws and all he's doing this chapter is set up a barrier... Someone else is saying that the little girls behaving like foolish little girls should be rewarded with the worst consequences possible otherwise it's just tired writing. WHAT?!?

Retired Heroes is great as it is. It's actually tackling the discrimination really well if you ask me.

Dex-chan lover
@Kireato

Because the author sacrifices realistic outcomes to avoid tragedy. At the same time he wants to have these precarious situations to create suspense and drama. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
I am almost certain a deus ex machina development will take place in the following chapters to save the girls (hopefully I am wrong). Some new hidden power will be revealed, or courage will prevail in the face of impossible odds or some bs like that. It is simply poor writing, since if you know that nothing bad will happen, there's no suspense in the first place, so you just ruined realism.
I get that the manga is going for a rather lighter tone even if it deals with more serious issues. It just feels pretentious when such scenarios unfold unrealistically. There's only so much you can push suspension of disbelief.
Don't get me wrong, I quite like it despite its flaws, it's very good compared to a lot of stuff in the same genre (*cough* isekai fantasy garbage *cough*). However that is no reason why it should not be criticized. The people on here don't criticize it just to take a shit on it, but because they realize it could have been even better in terms of writing.

Dex-chan lover
if my eyes roll back any further it'll look like an ahegao if i stick my tongue out

Users who are viewing this thread