The cover image for Naruto Triple Feature Collector’s Edition is amazing

Dex-chan lover
...ly bad.

782009245919.png

Source: https://www.viz.com/watch/movie/naruto-the-movie-video/product/6489

It looks like some bootleg that you can buy at the night market. Honestly if it was bonus poster/art by a guest artist I could understand, but official cover???

Edit: lmao I posted this on my phone and must have mistakenly removed the "...ly bad" when I inserted the image. Darn it XD

Group Leader
Boruto's dad looks... a little hard to recognize with that American-stylized chubby face of his...

thats the kind of shit you get if Naruto and Choji did the fusion dance. and it failed.

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
That looks like something I'd delete from the covers section on MD because it's blatantly amateur fanart, and not an official piece of art. Nice.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah my friend called this "Naruto: Too much ramen" edition haha.

Also apparently the artist is a Marvel artist so maybe that person really drew based on their experience with Marvel villains? XD

I still don't understand why Viz even considered using this art as the cover, even the Western fans dislike it (check their facebook page).

Honestly the art is good. Viz is at fault for choosing this style for the cover. I don't like that the artist is getting heat too.

Also didn't Trash Taste talk about this before?

Dex-chan lover
@Rift Nope, you see, the full layout is bad. Coloring or artstyle I won't mention, because I also think it was ok. The composition is really bad. I didn't think it was that bad when I only looked at the front cover only. Each characters look in a different direction, not sure what they are even doing there or who they were fighting. The lighting and shadow is all over the place too, you would think with the lightning skills right next to them, the shadow would reflect that too but nope, it's standard shadow under face and behind person that literally every single amateur artist would do.

Also I don't know Trash Taste, I saw my friend shared the Viz facebook post with a disgust emoji then I posted this here.

Edit: I agree the artist shouldn't be getting blamed for Viz's decisions, but it doesn't change the fact this piece of art is bad.

Edit2: I just realized I wrote Trash Talk instead of Trash Taste, I'm sorry.

Dex-chan lover
Composition looks like a pretty standard comic book cover where the point is to showcase the characters most of all. The inking isn't bad but the real tragedy is the coloring. Whoever did the colors decided that they were the artist and put unnecessary shadows and completely reshaped some things which were clearly done without the original artist's intentions. This is like the Injustice comics where the inker did the most shitty magic wand ink job ever and botched the artist's work.

I imagine if you found the original pencils and inking it actually looked decent

@Yatsuki
For some context whilce have shallow knowledge on naruto that's why I can excuse what the character is doing.

But I agree that the colouring is what ruined it for me.

But for me, I still consider this art is good but not that good. Average I guess. A below passing mark to be pecific. Not to the extent I would call it bad.

Dex-chan lover
It's certainly not on the level it should be for a Triple Feature Collector's Edition.

Dex-chan lover
Marvel these days has a nepotism problem, as their HR lead is a twitter nut and hires her friends rather than skilled workers. There was an interview a while back about how the atmosphere in the offices and meetings are oppressive because no one wants to say anything "triggering" to the new guard that has been pushing out the old.

That being said, the artist is fine, but just not the right choice for this. if anything this could be a false advertisement.

It's like when the Japanese receive cartoons from America, then just redraw a new opening for it. The high quality Japanese animation is for the intro only, and the rest is still the bland American (korean) animation.

https://youtu.be/9ODtsNMNJXk < Japan completely reanimated an amazing INTRO for Transformers Animated, but thats the only good thing about the show, but it completely fabricates events and relationships. As we all know, Japanese OPs usually are a guidline for what you'll see that season (or series)

Users who are viewing this thread