Yesterday wo Utatte

Dex-chan lover
Known for being slow as flowing refrigerated lard, despite that or maybe in some ways because of it, this is actually one of my favourite manga. There's something about the art and the characters and the mood.

I can't believe this outlasted Batoto. I feel a sense of relief having gone all the way to the end.

This is the definition of slow romance. Forget about batoto, this manga is older than most of it’s readers. Yesterday wo Utatte was one of the first manga I ever read(on a site that is long gone and scanlated by a group that is already defunct) and probably one of the best. The sense of melancholy it brings is just priceless.

Group Leader
I am glad I got to see this to completion. It also helped me find Purple again, so I can stalk his reading collection for gems.

Dex-chan lover
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah this is over TT_TT
I feel empty inside...

Dex-chan lover
I awaited for some 15 years of more to see the ending of this, don't know what to think or feel yet.
Still didn't read, I'll reread the whole thing again and I'm thinking... "I like this?". I read this because I like or just for obligation and completeness?
Hope to find out soon.

Contributor
Yeah...i think this story is 2 times too much longer.
It was not too bad, but not great either.

Dex-chan lover
Wait, what?! That deadweight Shinako actually ends up happy?
Dick move, author. Dick move!!

that was a damn good romance, different from romance manga nowadays but a good story i really like most of the character
but the problem was always the Mc. the other think i didn't like was the time, it feel like they didn't seen each other for like what 1years(wtf) , the story was good till chapter 40 and then the mangaka slow the pace and add some unnecessary scene, i feel like 3years have passed since the mc date the other girl but they didn't do anything and then he finally acknowledged his feeling for the main girl
i wanted more moment with MC and Haru in when i pass 40th chapter i wanted some chapter with the two of them. if the manga was shorter with only 60 chapter, i think it would be a masterpiece for me

http://moetron.net/post/184228169175/an-anime-adaptation-of-kei-toumes-yesterday-wo

Anime announced! Looks like Akio Watanabe at it again...

Worst romance i've ever read. The story is slowly paced and just keep running in circles, the characters are mostly rubbish with hardly any development, especially the main beta MC, shotacon Sensei who always lives in the past, and the her dead ex bf's rapist brother. So many side characters with potential ended up being useless.

It's f*cking trash, trashier than any trash. The only thing i'm happy about is that now i know for sure that i won't be watching the anime adaptation 💩

Sing Yesterday for Me is a piece that is done very well in explaining unrequited love.
If most shoujo are too full of wishful thinking that is almost impossible but can develop into a miracle, this manga has a reasonable approach -- quite realistic and indeed, logically, a relationship requires a process.

To be honest, the works of this author are always meh for me. But s/he always gives interesting individual dramas. Not great but managed to keep you going. Her/his character doesn't have any special accessories but I can see them moving. They must make decisions in the restraints of things. All of them have problems so that they position themselves in their respective activities which in one way or another will question whether or not the relationship between them works.
The anxiety and recollection that soared at the same time might be the best aspect that makes me able to relate to what they feel.
Glad to see the characters are not too biased. There is no evil character from the others. They have their own shortcomings.

Up to chapter 50, the bitter taste of conflicting paths became clearer.
I really support Uozumi and Shinako end up together, not because they are in the category of "they suffer more so they deserve to be happy". I like Haru but, wow really? There are
two side characters that are much better than the main lead but she rejects them. There is a bit of greed playing on her part.
Haru is a cheerful, honest girl, and hard work are her best values --but that's because she is the main star of the story, there is a little special treatment ... alright.
On the other hand, how Uozumi and Shinako walk with consideration is also inevitable.
Shinako feels herself selfish, but her role has never been a rotten woman. She is always wavering, and there she is. Her seriousness is the best decision that comes as the conclusion of the relationship even if it's a bit disappointing. Until the end, I still dislike the attitude of the male lead who is less responsible and rather stupid.

It's kind of funny to see the comment before me which says that many side characters has no progress. Are you really not paying attention? The growth here is more mixed, there are no specific scenes and they undergo activities as usual.
But most of all I want to give this 8.

Neat title. This series was like an orphaned child constantly being shuffled through different foster homes, until upon hitting magical number eighteen it could had finally be legally taken off the states hands. No family wanted fully commit to its parenting - Ive been following the repeated adoptions followed by abandonment done by different groups for better part of the past eleven years I think, and honestly, never expected to see the translation finished. Got genuinely excited when was proven wrong. That said...

...its boring, moody, self-centered, needlessly introspective and whiny, but not vapid like many frustrated readers over the internet try to claim. Akin to a chilled out Yokoyari Mengo on barbiturates, some people will enjoy it. For every eight humans that will end up kicking their pets out of frustration, two will be super happy to have had this in their lives. Not an acquired taste, more like genetically ingrained one. Take your chances.

Group Leader
Honestly, half-way through the manga and I was just reading it for the sake of reading it. There’s always a taste of bitterness in my mouth for the last... 60 chapters or so. But I read the ending and I realised the whole journey, the characters, the development was charming in its own way.

It wouldn’t be right calling this a slow-paced romance, as there’s barely any romance, but rather the manga personifies the process leading up to a romance. After all, no romance would come to be without first realizing and developing it. Accompanying this are three leading characters - each of them are at best tolerable and forgettable - and several supporting characters about which you will care, but throughout the story, no matter which arcs they go through, their personalities and flaws remain the same. None of them is perfect, and even at the very end, they are unable to fix their flaws, only being able to recognize it, and for that I felt that they really were alive. Maybe some characters were favoured by the story for being the more “main”, but other from that, and the fact that the male lead is just... really unbearable in every way possible, the characters are really well fleshed-out and felt realistic.

The story isn’t the best, either. It’s downbeat and boring, and even with all the clichés and stupid situations, there’s not a whole lot of drama either. It won’t get your heart pumping, but you’d still be drawn to it. Maybe because you see yourself in some of them. Maybe because you just wanted to see it through like me. Nonetheless, I’m sure there’s something for everyone. It’s just not really up-in-your-face and is possibly hidden among all the mundane parts of the story.

All and all this manga is either a hit or miss. Or it will leave you disappointed or left you a feeling of fulfillment. The ending is surprisingly good, though it’s probably not worth the 30+ dragged-out chapters. Take a shot and see if you’ll like it or not, I know I did. It’s an 8 at best though, but it’s well-deserved of that rating.

Users who are viewing this thread