Split tags into two classes: Primary and Incidental.

___

It would be nice if we had separation into two classes of tags: Primary and Incidental. It is often the case when I'm trying to find something by tag and instead I get results that are only episodically about that thing. E.g. let's say I'm looking for a Yuri manga. I will often get results about Het Romance manga where there is an incidental female side character that has a crush on the FMC, and that's clearly not what I'm looking for, but there is no way to specify that. Or let's say I'm actually looking for a Romance but instead I will get something that is Primary Action but there is one chapter that has a romantic episode. I could technically exclude Action tag but then I would get rid of results that are Primary both Romance and Action which I actually would like to read in that hypothetical. Adding this feature would extremely improve discovery but ofc. the downside is that we would need to update all of the tags. I'm guessing we could start with putting all current tags into Primary class and then slowly over time move all tags that aren't actually primary into their on Incidental class for each title.

Thoughts?

Dex-chan lover
The "incidental" section would be bloated beyond belief in many cases, and misleading in some of them.
Many readers already have trouble understanding the difference between publication status and scanlation status, so I don't trust the average reader to understand how to separate primary/incidental tags either.

10/10 mate.
I personally believe having to many tags hurt your reading experience. So in my opinion, we should only have a few tags like: romance, action, mystery and some others like that.
But most of the people here want as many tag as possible, so Im in the minority.
Nonetheless, I really like your suggestion. Count me in.

Dex-chan lover

This would require splitting a great number of tags into 2 tags, and there would no doubt be constant debates on whether or not certain manga should have "Primary [X]" or "Incidental [X]" of a tag.

Relevant post. <- This is how tags should stay.

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
While it is a great idea, i think it is too late to implement it considering the amount of titles we have available now.

Group Leader
Personally I think the better solution would be to make a rule that if X tag isn't significant throughout the entire series you don't fucking tag it as X.
maybe except for the "trigger warning" type tags like sexual violence, gore, etc.

didnt trigger warnings get rejected? (dont get me started on them. just google Foamy Triggered for similar view), which subtags are sort of similar to anyway?

You can check the manga update tags. Those are user voted and the bigger they are, the more the tag has a presence in the manga.

while the idea is unfortunately unfeasible to actually do, the idea itself in the theoretical is great. Trying to find good romcoms that actually have romance and romantic progression instead of pretty much stalling or ignoring romance from the get go is realllllllly hard.

Users who are viewing this thread