Clarifying the "Military" Theme

What exactly does the military theme supposed to include? Does it mean Military (weapons/guns), Military (Soldiers/Armed Forces/Army), or Military (War)?

If it means Military (Weapons) then why does The Galactic Navy Officer Becomes an Adventurer and The Villainess Will Crush Her Destruction End Through Modern Firepower have it but not Manuke na FPS Player ga Isekai e Ochita Baai or Ihoujin, Dungeon ni Moguru.

If it means Military (Soldiers/Armed Forces/Army) or Military (War) then why does The Villainess Will Crush Her Destruction End Through Modern Firepower have it and not Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken or The Executed Sage Is Reincarnated as a Lich and Starts an All-Out War?

I feel like the military tag is one of the most confusing tags in the themes section, It includes too many themes with very different connotations. I think a better way of doing this is having a different tag for Guns/Modern Arms and keep the Military tag but with Military (War/Armed Forces/Soldiers) only.

Double-page supporter
I think it's supposed to be military weapons/soldiers and the two isekai lacking it just need to be reported so the tag can be added.

Every discussions about tag here are moot until MD is willing to make some effort to actually put some definition on each and every tag.

Until then, it is what it is.

Dex-chan lover
I think the manga mentioned in the original post are just outliers (in that they haven't been tagged properly).

I'm personally torn between wanting more tags due to the fact that I want an "Onee-san" tag, but if that were to be added, it would open the floodgates to hundreds of other overly specific tags.

Welp....

AJwODEG.png

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
Maybe it is because it's a theme, not a genre.

Group Leader
Since some of the tags' definitions were taken from Anime-Planet, I presume the military tag definition from there applies here:
These series have a strong military presence, be it on a national or intergalactic level, or showcase characters that are in the military.

Group Leader
@KMoore you can always report the title if you feel like one of the tags it has isn't appropriate. I don't read that series but after talking a glance at couple of chapters, personally wouldn't consider it a military manga.

Dex-chan lover
I feel like MD just needs an update that focuses on tags in order to decide what is overly specific and what's not as well as their descriptions (along with hentai tags) and then stick with it until the next tag update in however many years.

We have loli so why can't we have onee-chan? We have Gyaru so why can't we have Tsundere? The community as a whole needs to draw the line cause the mods drew a zig zag and rolled with it.

Dex-chan lover
@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN
Maybe an objective baseline for which tags should/shouldn't be added would be the number of manga they're tagged onto on bakaupdates? Like if a tag on that site covered 1,000+ mangos, it would be automatically added to MD.

Dex-chan lover
@bigtiddyoneesan That's highly dependent on trend. At the start of the isekai boom, do you think that if you go around telling everyone that isekai will be an important tag, anyone will believe you? They'll just see that a couple of popular mangas have isekai as a trope and think nothing more of it, not realizing that those two mangas are inspiration for a thousand more isekai mangas to come.

Mangadex is big enough that wrong tags are a major inconvenience yet small enough that everyone can know everyone. I feel like a discussion as a community is better than an arbitrary guideline.

Dex-chan lover
@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN
Yeah, I get your reasoning. I was just throwing an idea out there, as it could very well be a headache in the future to have an entire discussion on every tag that people want added.

Using discussions and staff opinions does work just fine for deciding whether or not a tag gets added, but I wonder if there could potentially be more 'set in stone' rules/guidelines for which tags get added.

Users who are viewing this thread