Natsuki-kun wa Kyou mo Kirei - Vol. 1 Ch. 16 - Make me happy

Dex-chan lover
I'm a bit confused about timescale here but whatever. Also sad it's ending, all the best shtuff is, so... Kinda saddening and maddening.
But life goes on...

Fed-Kun's army
I still kinda don't understand why trap mangas usually have every classmates accept crossdressing like it's a normal thing. Noone saying "disgusting" or "are you gay?", such understanding classmates who are open to more stuff are a big rarity, let alone the entire class being them. Hell, Himegoto did just that in a chapter, even though it was focused more on comedy. Sure there's less drama that way, but it takes away some necessary realism in my opinion.

I've never read BL or shounen ai, but this good tho. Probably because it doesn't feel like one tho

The joke about Natsuki being followed by a hoard of guys seemed very strange for this manga. Up until this point the chapters have consistently framed Natsuki as an outsider. He's got friends as seen in chapter 11, but they're fellow outsiders. Most normies either keep their distance or gossip about him, as mentioned in chapter 3. Guys do hit on him at the start of each year, but immediately bail when they learn he isn't female, either from Natsuki directly or from "the rumors".

That was what made Fumiya different - he loves Natsuki knowing he's a guy. Much of Natsuki and Fumiya's chemistry comes from Natsuki cynically assuming that Fumiya doesn't really like him, and Fumiya proving him wrong. Whether Fumiya's relentless optimism will ultimately overcome Natsuki's sexuality is another question, but clearly Natsuki sees Fumiya as special. Quoting from chapter 3, "I guess how you're like this is why I don't mind being with you." A crowd of guys all shouting they're cool with Natsuki's gender isn't just unrealistic; it undermines what made Fumiya special.

Ultimately its a 1-panel joke that the author clearly didn't think too hard about, and so it doesn't need to be taken very seriously. But its kind of worrying, since it makes me wonder if the author really understands her own work. I guess we'll see if/when a 5th doujinshi comes out; I do still love this manga. I'm just a bit worried.

Dex-chan lover
@mirewitch I think the point is that they still aren't really being serious, and it's more of a spur of the moment kind of thing. If Natsuki actually did accept any of their confessions they would probably not actually end up dating because all those boys are in love with Natsuki's presentation rather than who he is as a person. Even if they act like gender doesn't matter they still feel kinda similar to the guys who confess to Natsuki without knowing he's a guy.

Users who are viewing this thread