Satoko to Nada

Dex-chan lover
This manga was just licensed by Seven Seas, but I have the translations here will continue (please)

Double-page supporter
Butter dispenser for popcorn? Bloody hell

Is like those fried snickers but worse

Aggregator gang
Shinto when you're born, Christian when you marry, Buddhist when you die.

Contributor
Did they ever mention where in America this was set in? I'm guessing it's not a city with a relatively large Asian population like those on the East and West coast, since in the diner chapter, the people there were surprised to see a Japanese and Middle Eastern person. Not especially important, since this manga is told through a "familiar vs foreign" lens rather than about the specifics of a particular region, but I am genuinely curious

@ichi24 Nope, it's nothing like that. It's more like a ketchup dispenser than a fried Snicker, which I can tell you is not an American stereotype, as it does exist, but no one eats that except out of curiosity, dares, or an already poor diet

Dex-chan lover
@ShayGuy

A lot of people in Japan do false christian style weddings just for the pose. The priest is always some caucasic foreigner who has to act and have to talk in a english accented japanese or the families will get angry at him. There is a spanish youtuber I follow who has been in Japan for 10 years, he has japanese level of a college professor and since he is spanish his japanese accent is almost pefect, he told in a video how he almost got in problems doing the priest act with the parents of one of the spouses because he had a perfect accent and the families wanted him to talk with a flawed english style japanese xD

It's a similar case exposed before with the japanese descendant, they will prefer a blonde russian no matter his english level before the japanese american. There are a lot of funny stories with asians hiring blonde people no matter their abilities to do things just for the pose of status or international connections. Happens too t in China with reunions between executives, they have a blonde near them to give the impression he is some sort of counselor when they are just probably students or even tourists.

Dex-chan lover
This manga gets several things about Saudi Arabian culture and Islam wrong. I'm Saudi Arabian, so I'll try to correct them in the comments as I read.

Contributor
@MarqFJA87 Awesome, thank you! I'm looking forward to reading your comments!

Yeah, I didn't really expect a lot of stuff to be accurate. Like, if the parts on US culture weren't quite right, I wouldn't really think that anything on Saudi Arabian culture which is far less prolific in widespread media, would be quite right either

I got curious about the author and Nishimori Marie has... quite the background
https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Marie_Nishimori/603770
"Nishimori (西森マリー) is a Japanese journalist and translator. She was born in the U.K. from a Dutch father and a Japanese mother; she also speak Arabic. She graduated from the Tokyo University of Foreign Studies and, as a Muslim, perfectioned at the Cairo University in Egypt. Nishimori worked as translator on rock and metal albums for the Japanese market from Europe, before moving to the U.S.A."
Dang

I love this manga so much! Thank you for the translation. I'm a Saudi and all the information in the manga are pretty much accurate , except for a few details here and there.

Users who are viewing this thread