Suggest all translation groups leave Patreon. Now before it's too late for you.

Dex-chan lover
Patreon is in the middle of a bad lawsuit(s) of there own making. They have lost there first battle to stop it.
Short story. Patreon without notice booted many providers and there patrons off the platform. The patrons and providers followed suit to go arbitration. Under California law Patreon must upfront all monies law fees/penalties. Patreon then changed the TOS to disallow the arbitration request. The providers/patrons sued under TOS at the time of booted providers. There basis (Patreon) in front of the judge, "If this goes through we will be out of business." Judge sided with the providers and patrons. Patreon lost the first battle. The arbitration suit is proceeding.

This video can explain it better on the legal side of things. (abet: Viva Frei is a Canadian lawyer. He is on top of it.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQgOPYdGi9Y&t=18s

P.S. (why leave?)
Where do you think Patreon is going to get the millions to upfront? Simply from all the other Patreon providers.
If you have monies coming to you from Patreon, get it now and then get out. You will not see this from regular news channels, this is not a conspiracy. It is all traceable and factual based. I wish for all the translation groups to not lose from bad decisions of Patreon.

@Holo If you feel this is announcement worthy please move it there.
Edit: for clarity, even more clarity

Dex-chan lover
0f15268dc971831397e3356da3a7dbfa55cbefee.gifv

Dex-chan lover
De-platforming Owen Benjamin isn't "getting woke." It's doing the world a service. He's a lunatic who believes every conspiracy theory under the sun. Holocaust denial, doesn't believe in dinosaurs, is anti-vax, believes Bill Gates is funding a eugenics program, moon landing denial, HIV denial, and also wants the return of slavery in the US. At least two of those conspiracies are actively harmful to the general public.

Patreon is getting raked over the coals by their own forced arbitration clause. It's a win for consumers because forced arbitration almost always favors the company, but it's at the cost of empowering certain beliefs.

Double-page supporter
@BestBoy I don't know who the fuck it is.
What I heard though is about their policing of art, even outside of the platform. Thus my amusement.

Dex-chan lover
De-platforming Owen Benjamin isn't "getting woke." It's doing the world a service
@BestBoy it's not just Owen Benjamin. It's many others this is going to balloon big time. You can not claim under section 230 you are a platform. Then turn around and play editorial/judge/jury/executioner with the content. YouTube is known for this tactic, they will suffer shortly.

I do not hold a political belief when it come to social media. Left/Right if you are going to hide behind section 230, you must allow all content.

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for this post OP. I'm not sure exactly where this topic would fall when categorized in the forums, but I'd say anywhere it's seen the most would be best.

Patreon's banning of figures they deem 'controversial' has been steadily growing over the years, and honestly, this whole debacle is not surprising in the least.

@doppler
I wish for all the trans groups to not lose from bad decisions of Patreon.
I initially read this as a different 'trans', lmao. I'm sure most people realize it means 'translators'/translator groups, though. It's no big deal ofc, but I'd change it to clarify if I were you, OP.

Dex-chan lover
@bigtiddyoneesan What you got against trannies, are you some kind of sexist ? LOL/ROF

@justforthelulz What about "Flat chested Wendy/Adam's Family"? If you were talking about "Alyssa Milano" I would totally understand. BTW, Christina Ricci - People sure do change when they grow up and out

@BestBoy
He's a lunatic who believes every conspiracy theory under the sun. Holocaust denial, doesn't believe in dinosaurs, is anti-vax, believes Bill Gates is funding a eugenics program, moon landing denial, HIV denial, and also wants the return of slavery in the US.
where are your facts? can you show me when he told that he believes ALL those things? one thing is thinking about conspiracy theories, another is believing that are actually true and publicly stating it.
it's like the f***ing world is going shits. everybody saying everything about everything without filter, defaming anyone without having actual evidence. Playing politics with everyone and memeing about it. i don't know the guy and i don't know anything about this problem with patreon, but i cant believe a human could possibly believe every shit somebody throws at him.

Dex-chan lover
I heard about this. I think Patreon assumed they'd win easy, but that didn't happen. Overconfidence screwed them over.

Dex-chan lover
@Halo This lawsuit isn't about that. It's irrelevant.

@doppler I'll an offer an alternative look into this case with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEngOVt3keo

@imcrazy There's articles all over, but I'll go ahead and do some for you. I suggest going on a deep dive into his anti-semitism because it's pretty extreme. The dude's been de-platformed from nearly every website, has been rejected by right-wing news (including crowder), and has even been rejected by his own church.

Moon landing: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/owen-benjamin-another-red-pill-overdose-victim/ or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVfoeDcLswg

Dinosaur Denial (and bigfoot belief!): https://www.dallasobserver.com/arts/the-earth-is-flat-nasa-and-the-pope-are-liars-things-learned-at-the-flat-earth-convention-11808074

Eugenics program (video at bottom): https://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/owen-benjamin-transgender-rights-movement-is-a-u-n-sponsored-eugenics-program/)

HIV (minute 49): https://www.bitchute.com/video/vd58vndPqAmb/

Slavery: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL8RqWnUQAA_cFw?format=jpg&name=large

Dex-chan lover
@Halo Sure, Jan. Benjamin's views are primary to the results of the arbitration, so recounting them is relevant. The only "opinion" I gave was that I think its good his views were de-platformed. And even that isn't necessarily an opinion seeing as his views can be dangerous.

Actualy under 230 you CAN remove content. Because "BUT THE FIRST AMENDMENT!!!!" only applies to the government. Nowhere does it say you have to be neutral. 230 would for instance shield mangadex if they removed say if posted that I was going to pull a Joker and blow up a hospital. Or didnt remove a 50 page thesis on "Why The French in Canada should be rounded up and put into concentration camps"

First Amendment works like this. The Government (This isnt counting Hate Speech laws... which are stupid when it comes to verbal intent) cant arrest you for saying or writing an article in the paper, a tweet, or saying something racist in public.... But it also doesnt prevent somebody else from beating your ass like you stepped in the ring with Muhammad Ali in his prime

Dex-chan lover
@blackyawgdom It's not a first amendment issue. Section 230 shields the "Platform" from lawsuit because of content posted by a user. User 1 can not sue "platform", because of something said by user 2 that was not removed by the "platform". If the Platform wants to be actively removing users and content they can not claim shielding using section 230. First amendment explicitly forbids government from actions. In the case of private enterprises as long as they want to be a platform they can not edit or delete content. They are no longer a platform and subject to suit if they editorialize.
If a private enterprise whats to "close" membership, they can do anything they want. Want to be public, rules apply.

edit:removed wrong comment pointer

Dex-chan lover
@Halo Owen Benjamin. The guy who was banned from Patreon for violating TOS via hate speech, and whose fans are now in a legal battle with Patreon.

Users who are viewing this thread