New tag to warn for violent (but not gore) content (OR rethinking sensitive content tags)

Group Leader
I'm currently re-translating a chapter from a manga, where a schoolgirl shows about two dozens of cigarette burns on her thighs and explains she was raped by her own father.

Visually, we only see the scars. The torture + rape scene is only recounted.
Yet, I think this is not appropriate for everyone to read.

But there is no sensitive content tag to describe that kind of stuff. "Gore" won't do, because we don't see blood & body parts. There is "sexual violence" recounted, but not shown in details.

There are also themes like matricide and group suicide in that manga

At the very least the series has the tag horror, but it's a genre tag, not a sensitive content tag.

Thus, I think it might be convenient to have a sensitive content tag like "emotional violence" or something, to warn the readers that even if they don't see much of the violence visually, reading can be a trauma anyway.

Or, if creating a new tag is not deemed appropriat, I think it would at least be interesting to rethink a little bit the sensitive content tags, for example changing "Gore" to "Intense violence", so the sensitive content tags can warn for more kinds of violence.

Dex-chan lover
I'm guessing it's this manga, right?

Well, for starters, we do have the tragedy tag. I think that more or less encompasses topics such as this, i.e. topics that can be emotionally sensitive.

This threaderino was very similar. If MD were to add another tag for these sorts of things, I'd prefer the title "Disturbing content".

Regards,
𝒷𝒾𝑔𝓉𝒾𝒹𝒹𝓎𝑜𝓃𝑒𝑒𝓈𝒶𝓃

Dex-chan lover
@justforthelulz
You absolute fool! Do you have any semblance of an idea of how utterly stupid and helpless you look right now?!

thumb_get-memed-son-yolo-livememe-com-third-world-success-kid-49194076.png

Pack it up, meme team. This is our complete win.

When two shitposters interact, it's never certain which side is being "serious", if at all.

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
I also agree, in that other thread i made the suggestion of adding a "Sensitive themes/content" tag.

God this is just the "THIS SHIT TRIGGERED ME!!!!! RAGE!!!" bullshit trainwreck from a few months ago....

Group Leader
@bigtiddyoneesan

No, it's this one:
https://mangadex.org/title/14787/rengoku-no-karma

I'm sure there'll be a lot of complaints from readers when I release ch27 in English. Like "why tf is there no warning tag for that extreme manga?"

The readers will see something like this on page 12 (we'll do a proper typesetting of everything, of course):
a12.jpg

Group Leader
I thinks that's worth some sensitive content tag, somehow.
Maybe "torture"?

There's no sensitive content tag for that manga currently

Changing "horror" tag from the genre tags to the sensitive content tags could also do the trick

@AB2000 , you do know that tragedy tag is not for show right? I just noticed that many of the stuff that people might find disturbing usually have had this tag already.

5hGaf83.png

I'm against adding more tag since the current one is still a mess.

Group Leader
@Knonderd

Tragedy is a genre tag, not sentitive content tag.

I don't care if changing a tag from "genre" to "content" is deemed better than adding a new tag, but I think the readers should be warned better

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
You can always add a warning if the content goes beyond what is usually presented, but it only works if it's the exception, not the norm.

Contributor
@AB2000
As @Richman suggested, for the time being, all you can do is put a
GIGANTIC WARNING PAGE
at the very beginning of those chapters, cautioning prospective readers about the content contained within.

i feel like adding a [sensitive content] tag would be a bad idea since what counts as "sensitive" varies from person to person. while it's not a bad idea per se, i can just see it getting abused to hell and back.

Users who are viewing this thread