Gokufuri Kyohi Shite Tesaguri Start! Tokka Shinai Healer, Nakama to Wakarete Tabi ni Deru - Vol. 2 Ch. 7

Dex-chan lover
Blacksmith: "You saved my son's life. Please take a weapon from the store for free!"
MC: "No, I couldn't do that!"
Blacksmith: "You say my son's life is worth less than a spear?"
MC: "That's exactly what I'm saying!"

That kind of knife is no good for fighting. It might be good for cutting food and such as it would still cut even when duller due to the saw edge. However, in a fight it would unnecessarily get stuck in the opponent's gear, tendons, and bones.

Dex-chan lover
The knife looks like a tactical knife made by someone who doesn't know anything about tactical knives. The serrated blade might look cool but its supposed to be beside the handle, and not at the top. Stabbing is probably the only thing that knife is good for, since slashing with it would only get it stuck on flesh.

Group Leader
@Kaarme @GurenNoOu It was probably made to create a harder wound to close even if it only got halfway in, twisting the blade would carve a set of deep grooves inside the body. Then paralysis effect would keep the victim from trying to stop the bleeding.

Wow, I'm very impressed by that knife. Clearly, the author is an expert in tactical magic because common people don't know that the serrated edge allows the paralysis effect to enter the body faster, and that's why you want them as close to the tip as possible. A lesser author would have naively copied a knife from Dick's Sporting Goods and would have been the laughing stock of all level 5 mages and above.

Fed-Kun's army
Whoa nice story, although it's still at beginning phase. Because every chapter is long, I can spend time reading it without getting bored

Dex-chan lover
@HDMI1 Smooth blades have been used to kill humans and animals for thousands of years. They have worked splendidly. However, a knife like in the chapter is rarely seen, especially outside of fiction. If it added some significant benefit, they would have been more common.

Dex-chan lover
I wonder if it works on more abstract targets. Like, can he use Purify on someone's mind for example?

Dex-chan lover
@Kaarme Smooth blades are easier to sharpen than serrated blades. And the killing power increase is negligible (since what you want to do is puncture an artery, or slash across a bunch of veins). So it's not that they ain't better at killing, it's that they end up being worse as weapons since a weapon needs to be taken care of. (And the metallurgy in the past wasn't good enough - but that bit can always be covered by magic ;)

Sawtooth blades are better for cutting, hence why we have saws, and for a brief period during which we had good surgeons but no antibiotics, bayonets could be serrated to give worse wounds that were harder to stitch up and clean out, leading to longer recuperation periods, possibly ending with death anyway. (But this became impopular through peer pressure instead - if an opponent was caught using that kind of bayonet they'd reportedly be tortured instead of captured).

They're still in use for multi-purpose knives though, just since the saw function is useful (for other things than killing people). Usually the teeth on real examples of combined saw- and non-saw blades will be near the handle though, so you can use it more easily while cutting a line or branch or whatnot.

Dex-chan lover
Whenever I see the world "judgement" being used for something like "appraisal", it feels wrong for some reason... maybe it's because it's in a fantasy setting and not in a court of law, dunno.

Fed-Kun's army
First delve, now this. I see people are being awakened to the fabulous cult of the Purify.

Dex-chan lover
Spear, light magic, healing. His class really is just his race: quarter-angel.

Dex-chan lover
''that knife wouldnt't be good for slashing''

idk about you fucking weebs, but I've never heard about someone being ''slashed'' over money or drugs or anything so a knife that stabs sounds fine to me

Users who are viewing this thread