Your name, How good is it?

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
I was scrolling through Netflix before resuming watching a documentary and since i watchef Violet Evergarden recently, the algorithm tagged me as a weeb (sad) and recomended a bunch of anime series and movies, one of them is Your name, i only know the film by name (heh) and reputation only (i think it won awards?), i don't know what it's about though. I was thinking of watching it but the problem is that i don't have a lot of time for entertainment but i do have many options to choose from, so i'm posting this to hear your opinions.

Dex-chan lover
@Richman
Your Name is an absolute must watch for any anime fan, and I'm not one to say that lightly. It became the second highest grossing animated film in Japan (number one being Spirited Away I think) for a reason, and that reason being that it's absolutely amazing. It's a story about finding love in destiny, as some people would put it, and one of it's most prominent themes is the red string of fate. The visuals are 10/10, and I'd give them 100/10 if it didn't break the scale lol. I've watched Your Name with quite a few people, and all of them thoroughly enjoyed it. There's more I could say about it, of course, but it would all just be more positive aspects of the movie, and I've already stated that it's a must watch, so yeah, my final point is definitely watch it, even if you're not particularly into romance. If you're experienced with torrenting, I'd recommend torrenting the version on nyaa.si by MTTB, as it contains excellent subtitles and grade A quality.

Contributor
@Richman
I thought this topic was literally asking us about our (real) names. And I was thinking, This fool really be trying to put curses on us using our True Names.

Definitely good, but not on the level of masterpiece imo. If I am to give 5cm/s a 10 then this will be 8.5 or so. I am no expert, all I know is that it gave me a milder impression as I just went along with the flow of the story while appreciating the art/ost and that's it. 5 cm/s, on the other hand made me depressed for a whole week as I recalled and took a thought about many things.

Staff
Super Moderator
made me depressed for a whole week as I recalled and took a thought about many things.
Guess i'll save it for later, i'm not in a position to get depressed right now.

Dex-chan lover
I got my cousin who's not really into anime watched it (she only watched anime as a kid), she watched it 4x and recommended to her other cousin

"5cm/secocond" on the other hand....
when I first watched it as a young weeb, it made me want to punch the creator(s) IRL
same creator of "Your Name"

Dex-chan lover
@justforthelulz
Have you rewatched 5cm/second since then
I'm planning to rewatch it again, I watched when I was elementary or middle school
Because it was the first one to appear alphabetically, so I checked it out, also because the name was stupid/funny lol

Dex-chan lover
@Richman Your Name isn't a depressing movie. If it was, I doubt it would have succeeded all over the world quite so well. Non-Ghibli anime movies hitting the regular theaters where I live is very rare, yet Your Name did it no problem. It has many qualities that made it suitable for it, such as comedy. I didn't like 5cm/s so much because of the plot and I also could never imagine it doing what Your Name did distribution success wise.

I highly recommend it and I'm sure you'd like it.

Group Leader
Yes, bop it alrd. @richman

after that watch., 5 centimeters per sec
Then read the manga 5 centimeters per sec.

After reading and watching both of it, now you can cry in the corner of your bathroom, because you realize how bad your life is.

Slice of life genre is gentle with your heart, but not your emotion.

Great animation and great soundtrack. Plot: 7/10 (my opinion) Also 5cm/sec is only one of Shinkai’s crappy movies. (In terms of plot at least) Shinkai loved to make sad love stories back in the day, but I think he wanted to move away from that when he made Your Name and Weathering With You.

Dex-chan lover
It's your usual, good-looking Shinkai star-crossed lover shtick. If you like other Shinkai movies, you'll like it as well. If you don't, it won't win you over. It's a thoroughly inoffensive movie.

Staff
Super Moderator
@KatoShuu
Not gonna be able to because of my entrance exam. After the first 2 weeks of august i'll have a chance.

Dex-chan lover
Made me tear up a bit, and the last thing that was able to do that was Fuuko's scene from the Clannad anime.

Users who are viewing this thread