I guess non Japanese comics belong here too

So although I do have a preference for Japanese comics because I'm a weeaboo just like the next guy, I've also read quite some non Japanese comics that have actually stayed with me.
The most recent one is a little work of art called "Spinning" from a 22 or 21 years old girl. This girl has a talent for beautiful comic strips. It's another one of 'em autobiographical comics, if you've read one, you know what to expect: the feelings of adulthood cripping, love and sex, the assertment of values and normally just one more life. It's beautiful, though.
33163388.jpg

Recommend non Japanese comics.

Dex-chan lover
A fave classic of mine, I think a high percentage of Europeans grew up with...: Asterix, especially the older volumes where René Goscinny did the script (RIP) is f*ing awesome.

E:
@below: Do you need butthurt ointment?

Dex-chan lover
Got myself a huge physical copy of Scott McCloud's "Understanding, Reinventing and Making Comics" for cheap recently. People weren't kidding about just how much it helps make you aware of some of the more unique aspects of comics as a medium, and I really enjoyed the thorough dissection of comic books that went beyond just their content/stories/art styles. While McCloud's always a bit idealistic and prone to standardising for my personal taste, his enthusiasm and genuine love for comics is contagious. It was genuinely sad to see him become so crestfallen between "Understanding" and "Reinventing"+"Making".

Either way, it's a great read, and hardly feels like an essay at all.

On a less pretentious note, currently going through the Judge Dredd Case Files and loving every volume. Justice for the cold-blooded murder of Judge Fish!

Adrian Tomine "Optic Nerve" is fantastic. I like Kate Beaton too, she's hilarious.

I assent with @BirchJuice. Regarding non-Eastern comics I personally believe that nothing beats Asterix. I love the series's unmistakable humor and its unique characters. But nothing compares to the authors featuring countless cultures from Antiquity in a delightfully caricatural way while incorporating current cultures and politics all the same (the total highlight for me as I am a really big ancient history fan). Best to let the Asterix comics speak for themselves in whatever language or dialect you prefer. But be warned, these Romans are crazy! And the Gauls no less.

Greetings,

Albwin

Fed-Kun's army
Bande dessinées are great. Just as amazing, IMO, is that the French regard comics as the "ninth art", putting it in a distinguished list that has Architecture in first place. If the English-speaking world had given comics even half of that respect, we might have had a larger and richer body of work than we do today.

Users who are viewing this thread