(Urgent) Which monitor should I choose for 5600 XT?

(Urgent) Which monitor should I choose for 5600 XT?

• Keep the 1440p monitor. Upgrade your rig later.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Use the 1080p for now, upgrade the rest later.

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Group Leader
https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/MX279H/

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1456960-REG/acer_um_hv7aa_003_v277u_bmiipx_27_16_9.html/overview

I have a 5600 and 3600, just bought them this week. I also purchased the Acer monitor, 1440p, because I thought it'd be great to have a higher resolution screen to, not just for gaming, but for watching videos as well. However, today, my brother told me he has an extra Asus monitor that he couldn't return, for whatever reason. 1080p and lower brightness, 250m/s, I'm not very interested. However, I'm also wondering if it's really a good move to jump to 1440p. I checked the benchmarks, yes, and most games' FPS drop by 30-40% or so in ultra settings. I think I'll be fine with high settings in future games, if they are that demanding. Games like Yakuza, Tekken, Tales, or BF shouldn't be too hard to run, I hope? Is it better to play at medium/high settings at 1440p, or 1080p on a 1440p monitor? Will most YT videos eventually have 1440p instead of just 1080p? Is it a good idea for me to jump to 1440p now? Is it future proof for at least another 5-6 years?
Just looked at some more benchmarks just now. Not gonna lie, I envy getting more fps in 1080p. Just not sure how my card will hold up in another 5-6 years...

That's what I'm worried about. What would you guys recommend? Stay with 1080p for now and upgrade later, or jump to 1440p now? I want to try 1440p, but at the same time, the possibility of saving $200 is kind of tempting me, even though I don't want to owe him anything... Thanks in advance for any advice!

Dex-chan lover
i'd say stay. you'll get somehow cheaper 1440p sooner or later. or soon enough.

Group Leader
Lmao I just realized that his doesn't have a displayport, only dual HDMI. Oh my god... >.< Now what...? =.=

Group Leader
At 1080p and 60hz, HDMI or Displayport, doesn't make a significant difference?
Hope I can trust you guys!

Group Leader
@AbyssalMonkey So I guess it's better to play games at 1080p on a 4K monitor? Hope those will go down in price in the next few years. I've seen mixed reactions from people with 4k monitor. Well, perhaps I can skip 1440p, after all...

Since we're on this computer stuff, is it worth paying an extra $16-17 for a little higher RAM latency? Most people have told me yes, but I'm not sure after seeing those benchmarks. Very minor differences... Anyone else knows?
GSkill 3600-18 = $104
GSkill 3600-16 = $120
Corsair Vengeance Pro (looks very beautiful) 3600-18 = $110

By the way, avoid buying stuff on Newegg if possible. They charge $10 for a shipping return fee. Too bad other places are out of stocks.

Group Leader
@AbyssalMonkey So, why are so many people obsessed with latency? If I am looking to go into 3D modeling, will any of those game development programs be affected? Besides that one example you said, is there any instance in which faster latency benefits the user? G-sync/V-sync on a monitor? Frame lock in a game? Will it be significant?

I really wanna know and get this out of the way because for the last few days, all I've seen/heard is: "faster latency is better but also doesn't matter much because it's 1-2% extra power but faster is better for optimization and butter smooth so go for faster but might not matter much because it's an extra 1-2%" and that goes in a loop. Is my system gonna be less optimized or less smooth? My current laptop has a DDR4-2400 SODIMM CL 17 16GB (one stick). I think the most obvious problem is when my wallpaper changes, the game I play takes 30% drop in fps or so. Not sure if that's relevant or not, but just saying...

Group Leader
@AbyssalMonkey Hey, thanks a lot for the help, man! Really helpful advice and explanation! Glad I posted this and ran into you. :)

Just one more thing: I'm planning on skipping 1440p altogether. Maybe hopefully in the next few years, 4k monitor will be cheaper. Do monitors become cheaper fast, like after 2-3 years after they come out? Have you played with 1080p settings on a 4k screen?

Here's the price history for some monitors on Amazon:
1080p https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B072M34RQC
4k https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B07JXCR263

Wait, you first said you bought a 1440p monitor and now you say you're skipping it?

Dex-chan lover
If you're talking about the FPS wouldn't the monitor hertz should be what being considered here?

Group Leader
@firelight I am trying to return it, since I'll be using the 1080p one.
@ABCsOfLife I don't really care much for hertz, since I think picture quality and resolution is more important for non-gaming tasks.

Group Leader
Update: Amazon seller told me to file a return request on Amazon.com and I will get a prepaid label. Told him I'll leave a good review as gratitude. Guess I'll just have to shell out $16 for the BH monitor.

Also, I have a slight problem with the monitor.

For this Asus MX279, and I'm trying to change the settings to make it as identical to my laptop as possible. Both are IPS panel. I'm connecting them with an HDMI cable. I think I already did the best I could, but it's simply not as bright. Seems like it doesn't do white color very well, either. Feels more like... light gray to me?

https://i.imgur.com/aR96bad.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/86vDeif.jpg

Seems like changing color temp from warm to user helped a little. But still not as bright. I know this monitor only has 250 nit, and my laptop has 300. Perhaps that's the reason why. It can't be helped, since it's an older model. Everything else looks good for the most part. It's kinda hard to show the details with these pictures, but it's more obvious when I look at them with my own eyes. Some wallpapers look pixelated or washed out in some places, so decreasing or increasing the saturation and/or contrast made some look better, some look worse. But they don't seem to help much with the white, though. Is this the best I can get from this monitor? What other settings or calibrations should I use? Someone told me to try to decrease the green in the RGB menu. Haven't tried that yet.

I hope the lack of white won't hurt my eyesight.

Users who are viewing this thread