Open Sourcing the MangaDex@Home Client, Symfony Devs Acquired, and User Research Survey Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
is a Reindeer
VIP
Hallo hallo and a happy beginning of Summer to you all,

Open Source MangaDex@​Home Client
Exactly one month after we made the initial announcement asking for volunteers to develop MangaDex@​Home, the client is now open source (Repository Link, PR/MRs welcome!) for anyone else who would like to participate in the development of it. We'd like to thank both the developers who volunteered to create the client and all of the client owners on Discord who donated their home/server bandwidth to the network and gave feedback to the developers along the way. We weren't sure whether or not this initiative would solve our bandwidth issues or whether or not we would be able to find people to develop it, so this outcome is better than we could have expected.

It was a long two weeks after releasing the client to the public, iterating and bugfixing to get the client as stable as it currently is. Two weeks ago the client version was at RC15, now it's at RC22 or what would now be considered the official 1.0.0 version of the client. MangaDex@​Home is currently serving images to all users and guests at around a 99.9% success rate which is well above what we would consider stable. We still have about 20+ people who signed up and were approved but still have yet to get their clients online. We would appreciate it if they did, or else we'll end up just giving their cert to the next user in the two week backlog we have.

The legacy reader is incompatible with MangaDex@​Home so we'll likely be killing it off in the near future for the sake of the servers. Would recommend making the switch and getting used to the new reader! The options appearing above the images kind of layout legacy has will make a return in MangaDex v5.

You can view the health of network clients and other stats here: https://mangadex.network (It even has a leaderboard of shame for the highest failing clients...)
https://mangadex.network/d/6tsYVoWGz/online-status?orgId=1&refresh=1m

If you want to discuss MangaDex@​Home with the devs that made it or if you're a client owner that needs technical support, we encourage you to join our Discord: https://discord.gg/mangadex

Symfony Devs Acquired
We asked for Symfony devs in our last announcement and were able to find four to aid in the the development of MangaDex V5. Exciting stuff!

User Research Survey Results
Thank you to everyone who participated in our user research survey for our frontend designers. We received a total of 2335 responses to the survey. This information will help them with creating user personas and flows for the site to make it all the more user friendly for everyone. It'll be a while before you see the official design for v5 but you helped make it better! There's way too many free responses to summarize in this announcement, but enjoy some pie charts.
spoiler]

Woah I'm early, well I would like to thank you for your continued hard work, very interesting survey results as well!

Contributor
So we have quite a lot of lolis and shotas reading manga...

No, not the legacy reader. I cannot stress how much I do not like using the current reader.

Double-page supporter
I would love to help out, but considering the fact that I am a complete begginner in coding(I'm still learning) and also 95% of the source code is in a language I never even heard of I highly doubt I would be of much help, in fact out of all the languages used in that project I know HTML the most and even then I could only make a very basic webpage

MD@Home
As it's now open sourced, are there plans to reduce the upload requirements in the near future? I'm wanting to help but only have a 50mbps upload :(

Miku best girl
Admin
Yes, the requirements will be dropping soon.

I think it should be understood that big Rona has most people staying home, so pie chart about at home or on the go might be just a little biased

The legacy reader is incompatible with MangaDex@​Home so we'll likely be killing it off in the near future for the sake of the servers.
I weep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread