How do I write a sad story?

Dex-chan lover
I know the formula...

1. Get the readers attached to your characters
2. Let the characters experience an emotional character arc
3. Hit them with the final punch
4. Show the consequence

... but how do I write it?

I know how to make the readers attached to my characters but how do I make my character arcs emotional? How do I deliver a powerful punch? How do I make everything flow well?

I want to write a depressing story but all my ideas are about despair, psychological, or worldbuilding. I can't even write comedy.

@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN
I don't know if this helpful or not, as i only wrote sad story one time in the past. Hopefully this can help and sorry for my poor explanation.

From what i learn with my teach and writing groups. Making sad story is a similiar to the happy one, but in reverse. instead of struggling first, everything was perfect before the tension came or the tragedy struck. But making it straight in that way also bad, so you will need to build the happy emotions by pulling out not only the present time, but also the good old memories from your characters while making the story progress as natural as it can and when you're ready in giving the tragedy gave a small foreshadow of what might happened later without telling when it will happened to ensure the impact from the sudden unpredictable tragedy. After the tragedy struck you halt both the flow and the progression of the story and focused on building the dreadful feeling within the story by showing how much the tragedy impacted the characters and the people close to them by showing their anxiousness, fear, and sadness.

a small example of scenario lost in the woods:
When someone lost in the woods, you didn't focus in the one who got lost, but the family who becoming more and more anxious in finding their family members, how the friends of the mc and people close to them broke their cool hearing the news. at the same time show how the lost person condition got worsened over the time passed. By putting more care to the people who close to the lost person and occasionally showing the lost person condition. the reader will responds the sympathy and empathy, while at the same time got dragged by the story.

Tl;dr:
- Build the happy times before the storm
- Gave foreshadow about the tragedy
- Make the tragedy as sudden as possible to the characters
- Gave more attention to the reactions of the families, friends, and others who are involved in the event than the MC themselves.
- Gave condition updates of the MC-s, but not as frequent as the families.
- Make the resolve

Deliver a punch at the begining of your emotional moment. Then whatever you write normally will have much more impact, because the reader is shocked. Do a normal story, and suddently, revelation, one of the cast was [insert traumatic event]. Don't hint it before (you can foreshadow it but not too precisely), but make sure that knowing such an event took place would make the reading of the earlier story a little different.

Once the reader is shocked, you won the game of writing, their mind will see what you want them to see. But thats pretty cruel. I read a bunch of stories like this, doesn't leave a good aftertaste.

@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN
Now that's a bit hard to answer. Sorry. i'm unable to answer it directly, the only i can tell youis this from the person who told me to write for the first time when i'm asking the similiar question, "The answer is asking yourself how you recall those moments, happy, sad, fearful, depressing. Just remember your emotion at that time and find the words to express it"

I'm sorry for my short wisdom in writing

Azumanga.Daioh.600.885462.jpg

Dex-chan lover
I had trouble doing my essay. But what a luck, I’ve found this free paper base. I’ve read so many samples of assignments there, and it helped me to create my own one
giphy.gif

Contributor
I had trouble doing my essay. But what a luck, I’ve found this free paper base. I’ve read so many samples of assignments there, and it helped me to create my own one
I had trouble browsing the forums. But what a luck, I’ve found this totally not inconspicuous bot. I’ve read so many samples of spamposts there, and it helped me to create my own one

Dex-chan lover
@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN
Personally, to me, tragedy has to emphasize a few aspects to be interesting. (Note I'll be specifically looking at tragedies and not tragicomedies because things like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead and Waiting for Godot are their own beasts)

First is characters, and tragedies require strong characters with clear motivations to work properly. These characters not only have to be likable, though flawed in certain aspects, but understandable, following some kind of internal logic or reasoning that is understandable.

Next, the logical events of the stories need to play off of conflicting motivations, relying as little on luck or outside factors in the plot as possible. Sure a story may begin with one pivotal moment to setup the conflict that happens by sheer chance, but the characters in question have to prove to be their own undoing.

Finally, tragedies focus a lot on Irony, characters who don't know the full picture of all aspects, and if they just had some piece of the puzzle, some small aspect that was within their grasp, then crisis could be averted. One of the most powerful is dramatic irony, where the audience knows the fates of the characters before they, themselves, do and watch as it unfolds before them. (Examples of this include Oedipus Rex, which has the protagonist slowly uncover that the plague in Thebes is caused by his past actions he was unaware of, and the more he uncovers of the truth, the more it causes him to be corrupted, or Halo: Reach where you know that everyone is bound to die before you play the game, and all that is left is to watch it play out before you)

Usually what makes tragedies compelling is small ironies, issues or misunderstandings that compound into larger ones, though these issues have to have reasons as to why they are unsolved, such as characters refusing to hear each other out, or a lack of means by which to communicate.

Honestly, tragedies and comedies tend to follow similar formats and themes, which is why they're so similar and why there's a lot of comedies that can be framed as tragedies and vice versa.

@Justforthelulz

At least it revives dead threads

Double-page supporter
I know the formula...

1. Get the readers attached to your characters
2. Let the characters experience an emotional character arc
3. Hit them with the final punch
4. Show the consequence

... but how do I write it?

I know how to make the readers attached to my characters but how do I make my character arcs emotional? How do I deliver a powerful punch? How do I make everything flow well?

I want to write a depressing story but all my ideas are about despair, psychological, or worldbuilding. I can't even write comedy.
Let's see... I could go with a story of mine I abandoned some time ago, but I abandoned it (I realized it was based of the current Hero-Deconstruction Storytelling which has grown stale to me). So let's see...
Okay, i've been writing about this Elven Warrior all my life, he suffered through many wars, saw things he should not, and finally he was betrayed enough as a woman he looked to as his mother was killed as some sort of spurring of the army he was a part of. He flees, he flees to hide away from violence, wishing that some day his honor could somehow return. Then comes your usual wizard, I based him off Ewan Mcgregor in voice and appearance, and of course, he comes on some dark errand, looking for the aid of this Elf who's name is well known for miracles.
Anyway, the Idea throughout is that he grows from wishing to run away from violence, to fighting for something he truly believes in. He fights past the many tragedies, he suffers much until he realizes he can't run away. But, that isn't a sad story... Hmm... Oh!
Let's see in the same universe there's this ordinary chick, well not ordinary, she's an athletic one, quite humorous, and smart, and apparently her mother was a demon, trying to steal power from her father let's say. So we have this 100-200 plus chapter journey with many other flowing plots, seeing her run further and further from these demons, until she cannot run anymore. So she finally goes to the place of power, and accepts it, against her father's wishes to use against their enemies... But, what I think is a moment which was the hardest to write, her father dies in her arms. She's a big fan of pop culture and all that, and amids this war which halts in shock to her omnipotence, she attempts to change the direction the world revolves. Like how Superman did to reverse time in one of the older movies, one her father loved. But, it doesn't work. She wails, goes on a spree of attacking friend and foe alike until she can't stand, and the young man who loves her finally gets her to stop.
I suppose the idea with her was to present the usual towering obstacles, have triumph, but then, tragedy. Her father was a character I enjoyed writing, though rich, he was a good man, and new the power he had must be destroyed, but in the end, he died knowing his daughter would be cursed with it all her life, nay for eternity, gaining the ire of all things which wished for it. Note that, He's built upon early on in a previous war, he loves his daughter immensely, carries on for her, until his final breath. Even tries to sing to her her favorite song afore he dies, and with all the trials, all the blood she has shed, she now simply bares a curse.
Now of course, the story is massive, and she's just a side character who takes on a more "Koichi form Jojo Part 4" role in prominence for a time. She eventually returns to this war, and with a friend she considers a sister she defeats the main enemy, has several hundred children and lives to and fro. But, that chapter, is one devoid of a happy ending.
Just see the character's many strengths challenged, see them overpower towering obstacles through much pain, and upon the cusp of victory, strangle it from them. Which sounds monstrous, which is why I usually try to write happy endings Hah!
I sort of took this from One Piece, when a certain guy dies, All of the horrors the savior goes through, all the pain, all of the learning, only for it all to amount to nothingness.
For another example, a smaller story I have is this Warrioress who returns to the land of her Fiancé to find it in ruins. In the end she goes on a sprawling quest, gathers friends and family, learns to overpower pain and master anger into a weapon. And eventually finds her love. But, right upon the cusp, taking that from her could be possible. Another Story in that same universe follows another Warrioress and a Young Guy, who fight their way through these Bio-Mechanical Freaks to save her family, her home was raided, her aunt held her until she died of starvation and the warrioress had no choice but to cannibalize. She hears all these rumors of her sisters still living, only to toward the end, with the young man still with her, find her old home, and within lies in rest where she was going to place her aunt, her own sister. It's a rather shocking moment, and this stoic woman hard to show feelings breaks down completely. Now, I didn't leave it at that, the young guy encourages her, but throughout the beginning is built the rumor, and then she charges forth with all hope, into nothingness.
It's rather bleak indeed, which is why I avoid tragedies usually.
Just in case you can't discern a thing through my rambling.
1. Take Your Character through many strains, have established what is most important to them, their pasts along the side or their motivations.
2. Present them with even stronger foes, even defeats which they must rise from this this motivation.
3. Have them grow stronger, and surpass these foes and grow internally, knowing they're strong.
4. Have them reach closer and closer, the rumors of what they seek growing louder.
5. Then upon the cusp, upon the doorway wrench it from them.
Now, note my advice with a grain of salt, I write more positive stories, If you have the Worldbuilding, Bleakness, And Psychological Side, then you simply need that character, and that motivation or additional character to take away.
Man this sounds cruel XD!

Dex-chan lover
@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN
Personally, to me, tragedy has to emphasize a few aspects to be interesting. (Note I'll be specifically looking at tragedies and not tragicomedies because things like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead and Waiting for Godot are their own beasts)

First is characters, and tragedies require strong characters with clear motivations to work properly. These characters not only have to be likable, though flawed in certain aspects, but understandable, following some kind of internal logic or reasoning that is understandable.

Next, the logical events of the stories need to play off of conflicting motivations, relying as little on luck or outside factors in the plot as possible. Sure a story may begin with one pivotal moment to setup the conflict that happens by sheer chance, but the characters in question have to prove to be their own undoing.

Finally, tragedies focus a lot on Irony, characters who don't know the full picture of all aspects, and if they just had some piece of the puzzle, some small aspect that was within their grasp, then crisis could be averted. One of the most powerful is dramatic irony, where the audience knows the fates of the characters before they, themselves, do and watch as it unfolds before them. (Examples of this include Oedipus Rex, which has the protagonist slowly uncover that the plague in Thebes is caused by his past actions he was unaware of, and the more he uncovers of the truth, the more it causes him to be corrupted, or Halo: Reach where you know that everyone is bound to die before you play the game, and all that is left is to watch it play out before you)

Usually what makes tragedies compelling is small ironies, issues or misunderstandings that compound into larger ones, though these issues have to have reasons as to why they are unsolved, such as characters refusing to hear each other out, or a lack of means by which to communicate.

Honestly, tragedies and comedies tend to follow similar formats and themes, which is why they're so similar and why there's a lot of comedies that can be framed as tragedies and vice versa.

@Justforthelulz

At least it revives dead threads
great advice

Let's see... I could go with a story of mine I abandoned some time ago, but I abandoned it (I realized it was based of the current Hero-Deconstruction Storytelling which has grown stale to me). So let's see...
Okay, i've been writing about this Elven Warrior all my life, he suffered through many wars, saw things he should not, and finally he was betrayed enough as a woman he looked to as his mother was killed as some sort of spurring of the army he was a part of. He flees, he flees to hide away from violence, wishing that some day his honor could somehow return. Then comes your usual wizard, I based him off Ewan Mcgregor in voice and appearance, and of course, he comes on some dark errand, looking for the aid of this Elf who's name is well known for miracles.
Anyway, the Idea throughout is that he grows from wishing to run away from violence, to fighting for something he truly believes in. He fights past the many tragedies, he suffers much until he realizes he can't run away. But, that isn't a sad story... Hmm... Oh!
Let's see in the same universe there's this ordinary chick, well not ordinary, she's an athletic one, quite humorous, and smart, and apparently her mother was a demon, trying to steal power from her father let's say. So we have this 100-200 plus chapter journey with many other flowing plots, seeing her run further and further from these demons, until she cannot run anymore. So she finally goes to the place of power, and accepts it, against her father's wishes to use against their enemies... But, what I think is a moment which was the hardest to write, her father dies in her arms. She's a big fan of pop culture and all that, and amids this war which halts in shock to her omnipotence, she attempts to change the direction the world revolves. Like how Superman did to reverse time in one of the older movies, one her father loved. But, it doesn't work. She wails, goes on a spree of attacking friend and foe alike until she can't stand, and the young man who loves her finally gets her to stop.
I suppose the idea with her was to present the usual towering obstacles, have triumph, but then, tragedy. Her father was a character I enjoyed writing, though rich, he was a good man, and new the power he had must be destroyed, but in the end, he died knowing his daughter would be cursed with it all her life, nay for eternity, gaining the ire of all things which wished for it. Note that, He's built upon early on in a previous war, he loves his daughter immensely, carries on for her, until his final breath. Even tries to sing to her her favorite song afore he dies, and with all the trials, all the blood she has shed, she now simply bares a curse.
Now of course, the story is massive, and she's just a side character who takes on a more "Koichi form Jojo Part 4" role in prominence for a time. She eventually returns to this war, and with a friend she considers a sister she defeats the main enemy, has several hundred children and lives to and fro. But, that chapter, is one devoid of a happy ending.
Just see the character's many strengths challenged, see them overpower towering obstacles through much pain, and upon the cusp of victory, strangle it from them. Which sounds monstrous, which is why I usually try to write happy endings Hah!
I sort of took this from One Piece, when a certain guy dies, All of the horrors the savior goes through, all the pain, all of the learning, only for it all to amount to nothingness.
For another example, a smaller story I have is this Warrioress who returns to the land of her Fiancé to find it in ruins. In the end she goes on a sprawling quest, gathers friends and family, learns to overpower pain and master anger into a weapon. And eventually finds her love. But, right upon the cusp, taking that from her could be possible. Another Story in that same universe follows another Warrioress and a Young Guy, who fight their way through these Bio-Mechanical Freaks to save her family, her home was raided, her aunt held her until she died of starvation and the warrioress had no choice but to cannibalize. She hears all these rumors of her sisters still living, only to toward the end, with the young man still with her, find her old home, and within lies in rest where she was going to place her aunt, her own sister. It's a rather shocking moment, and this stoic woman hard to show feelings breaks down completely. Now, I didn't leave it at that, the young guy encourages her, but throughout the beginning is built the rumor, and then she charges forth with all hope, into nothingness.
It's rather bleak indeed, which is why I avoid tragedies usually.
Just in case you can't discern a thing through my rambling.
1. Take Your Character through many strains, have established what is most important to them, their pasts along the side or their motivations.
2. Present them with even stronger foes, even defeats which they must rise from this this motivation.
3. Have them grow stronger, and surpass these foes and grow internally, knowing they're strong.
4. Have them reach closer and closer, the rumors of what they seek growing louder.
5. Then upon the cusp, upon the doorway wrench it from them.
Now, note my advice with a grain of salt, I write more positive stories, If you have the Worldbuilding, Bleakness, And Psychological Side, then you simply need that character, and that motivation or additional character to take away.
Man this sounds cruel XD!
Wow, I was interested to read your brief retelling. The stories are probably great too!

and by the way, 3 years have passed since the beginning of the topic, I wonder if the author wrote his story?

Double-page supporter
and by the way, 3 years have passed since the beginning of the topic, I wonder if the author wrote his story?
Could be, a story of any kind can take a day, weekend, week, month, year, or more sometimes to get right. What matters is as long as you still believe in the story, and better yet enjoy writing it. I learned my lesson well after a recent six year project which I didn't like. If it's hard to write it, then there's definitely something wrong.
And thank you, I am definitely writing better nowadays, though I don't know if they are the best (Of course I'd say so, but that's a good thing! If you believe in the story, that's good for the story.)

Could be, a story of any kind can take a day, weekend, week, month, year, or more sometimes to get right. What matters is as long as you still believe in the story, and better yet enjoy writing it. I learned my lesson well after a recent six year project which I didn't like. If it's hard to write it, then there's definitely something wrong.
And thank you, I am definitely writing better nowadays, though I don't know if they are the best (Of course I'd say so, but that's a good thing! If you believe in the story, that's good for the story.)
If you think of George R.R. Martin, there it just takes years, if not decades, to write a story. But that doesn't make his story bad :))
But everyone has a different approach. Sometimes inspiration doesn't come at all, and sometimes you just need a little time... Or a lot of time, like Martin's

Dex-chan lover
Snort cocaine, watch evangelion, and get almost OD'd.
now youre in the perfect mood to write

Users who are viewing this thread