Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san - Vol. 3 Ch. 22 - Senpai! Let's Go To The Beach!!

Dex-chan lover
There you go normalfags. This one says normies so you can all calm down now after reading a naughty word.

Double-page supporter
@Gimmy -- Whatever you say. ?

"Normie" aside, this translation felt more natural to me. The previous translation was, "Hey! Look how hip we are! I mean who doesn't say, 'Normalfag aura is way too strong'?"

For the sake of removing the "normalfag" argument, lets say this translation had Senpai saying, "It's gonna be crawling with normalfags too." I still wouldn't care for the term "normalfag," but at least the sentence makes more sense. He doesn't want to go to a place that's crawling with people he doesn't care for. I can't imagine this otaku Senpai worrying about auras somehow. (Though in fairness to the first translation, I am curious as to how the raw actually went. I get the feeling that it might be a more literal translation.)

Dex-chan lover
Im mad at same chapter releases coz it mak s me think a new chapter was released

Power Uploader
@ToddSama yes, the 4Chan translation is more literal there [edit: regarding the aura bit, not the normalfags], but that phraseology does not occur naturally in English so we struck the compromise of being a mite more liberal in order to ease the translation.

Edit: As well, we hadn't read the 4Chan translation until ours was done and typesetting was underway, but we definitely feel that the word "normie"captures the essence of what senpai is saying much better than "normalfag".

Double-page supporter
The debate regarding the more appropriate translation for "riajuu" aside, I have always preferred you guys' work over 4chan's. Is there any chance of you releasing chapters 18-21? I've actually stopped reading in the hope that you eventually will.

@gimmy

Wasn't really annoyed by "normalfag", just really didn't seem to be in character per all the other chapters I've read. And knowing that it's in the original language basically doesn't change my opinion in regards to that.

It just feels really out of place with the character.

You can surround everything in triple parenthesis all day long, it won't really get under my skin. But if the MC starts doing that, I might tilt my head and wonder what the author is thinking.

Dex-chan lover
"Normie" sounds a little too childish,
"Normalfag" is kinda rude and out of context.
Maybe you should just leave the japanese word as is?

Group Leader
Many thanks Fangéd Scans. I've always preferred your translation and this latest chapter only proved I was right in my choice.

Double-page supporter
> yes, the 4Chan translation is more literal there [edit: regarding the aura bit, not the normalfags], but that phraseology does not occur naturally in English so we struck the compromise of being a mite more liberal in order to ease the translation.

@whissard -- I understand that completely. I'm in the "accurate but readable" category when it comes to translations/adaptations. I don't like it when adaptations try to be hip and completely rewrite portions to reflect that. However, in this case, using the phrase "It's gonna be crawling with normies too" is not a bad compromise, IMO.

The beach situation here with Senpai is a cliched one in otaku-themed manga. I seem to recall the official Genshiken manga translation using similar phraseology when the otaku characters there ended up going to the beach, including using "normies."

That aside, thanks for the work!

@Chuggoth I would bet you that "Riajuu" is also considered a childish term to be throwing around in Japan, so it makes sense.

Are there people defending 4chan terminology like it's appropriate or normal in typical conversation? Sorry, but no it's not, and only distracts from the work because the translator felt the need to signal their Internet Membership Card.

Dex-chan lover
I’d like to remind people that Paisen is the type of loser that got bullied so badly, he intentionally goes out of his way to be alone at every opportunity during school hours. Until he met Nagatoro, anyway. So, yes, in that aspect, he is a loser otaku incel. I don’t understand how anyone could possibly think Paisen was a “normal guy”. If you got bullied during high school, you didn’t have a normal high school experience.

Users who are viewing this thread