A Private Story on Third Street - Vol. 2 Ch. 16

I think if u ask me what weapon I would used (excluding any gun type weapon, basically any gunpowder based or decedent of it) I'll go with the spear, since using it with a shield is the most basic weapon that one can somewhat understand and used and doesn't really need much training.

Legit surprised the status quo on Viking has yet to snap back and she's still broken and defeated 3 chapters later.

Group Leader
You do kind of need decent musculature to be able to thrust and swing a spear though.

...I'll just treat everything on an approaching bear and play dead. I'll save the trouble of falling over, anyhow.

Dex-chan lover
@Fives that's not true. Poking with 5 meters pole is much harder than it seems, especially with only one arm. you need to understand proper distancing and lots of muscle training. and that's why those spartan warrior do spartan training.

reu

Dex-chan lover
What the hell is the author on about? Western martial arts were never forgotten, officers in ww1 carried sabers and knew how to use them. Not only that - fencing is a olympic sport and of plenty of medival training manuals survived, HEMA's popularity in the west is comparable to kendo's in nipland.
There's been plenty of alike annoyances in this manga but this one in particular really made me reeeee

Also if the nip soldier plans on sparring with a spear she'll get absolutely destroyed

Dex-chan lover
@reu Western martial arts were very much forgotten. We have the treatises, sure, but those haven't been practiced in their original form in some 500 years. That's why HEMA enthusiasts aren't so much "teaching", as they are "recreating" the style. Following the German traditions of longsword, messer, sword & buckler, and others, was a number of traditions involving the rapier; following those were the traditions with the smallsword, from which modern olympic fencing "evolved". Military saber, on the other hand, is an entirely different animal.

Comparatively, Japan had what's known as a "living tradition", where styles developed in the 1500s were still being actively taught, largely unchanged, into the 1800s. Kendo, itself, is a pretty recent thing, only being given that name in 1920 and only being conceptualized about 50 years prior.

Yeah, I am still quite irritated when people go on to say "Lol Euro swords are all dull clubs you beat people with", "plate armor is so heavy you can't walk in it", and so on.

reu

Dex-chan lover
@Vincentius Plate armor was used well into the late 17th century and it took the napoleonic wars to take them decisively off the battlefield. Japanese martial arts are no different from HEMA in that regard.
Japan HAD a living tradition well into the 18th cent, then they, much like the west, left it behind when became unfit for the battlefield.
In both cases these arts were mostly directly passed from trainer to trainee and in both cases the link was broken. Being both in the same position the one with a bigger library of treatises would be in a better position to recreate their forefathers arts. I'd wagger it's HEMA

Either way this is all pointless because military fencing is a Martial art like any other and even now it still evolving to fit the extreme close quarters of today's battlefields. A dude with a bayonete is as much of a martial artist as a dude with a sabre, a messer or a katana

reu

Dex-chan lover
@Vincentius Also funny how a officer beheading chinese soldiers with a katana is "living tradition" but calvary routing infatry in ww2 isn't - All those guys where armed with sabers and knew how to use them
The "living tradition" died when Oda Nobunaga filled his ranks with rifleman

Dex-chan lover
Medieval martial arts are partially lost to time due to the surviving documentation simply not making up for hands-on demonstration from the times they were developed, with sparring schools and whatnot. There are nuances in combat that were not translated to combat manuals from the era.
And I'm pretty sure spears and pole weapons grew in popularity because they required much less training to be effective than a sword. It's a long sharp stick, of which half the technique is knowing where to poke with.

reu

Dex-chan lover
@Oured
Spears grew in popularity in the middle ages because ongoing centralization meant that battles were no longer mainly fought by the realm's nobles and their house's troops but by peasant levies armed by the stateNot only are spears cheaper but walls of swords are much less efective that walls of spears, which are much less effective than wall of pikes - until you and your budies get past that wall that is, which was now the job of a core skilled and armored landed nobles and their houses Pole weapons began emerging by the time of the renaissance, as a response to more and more professional armies which meant more and more armor and calvary being fielded

BCS

Dex-chan lover
This comment section.

Let me add some fuel to the fire: no, there were no different "beauty standards" through history. That wouldn't even make sense biologically speaking.

Dex-chan lover
@reu Battles began to be fought by lesser troops to inflate numbers, but were still led by nobles and other capable officers. Spears and pikes grew in popularity against cavalry charges, and a well-maintained and high-moraled formation of such weapons were very effective against smaller numbers of expensive, lifelong-trained warriors wielding lances on horseback.

Users who are viewing this thread