Brother for Rent - Vol. 3 Ch. 11

thank you for the chapter!

and i'm glad her world of ppl is expanding even more, and now includes responsible adults and even a whole family :)

This looks like such extremely bad writing. As forced as possible just to be as dramatic and get as many cheap tears as possible.

Everything is pointing to the biological older brother being like that because people were trying to get to the money left behind to the two siblings. That's the most obvious explanation we've been given. However, that makes absolutely no sense. That's like if someone once threw away the food I was eating by mistake, so therefore, I decide to wipe out all of humanity to never let it happen again. It's cheap, nonsensical, over exaggeration. What's more, apparently, he instantly changed the very day that he found out that their parents passed away, immediately after being told.

The only way for this story to make any kind of sense is if the biological brother had been somehow coerced into being this mean to the sister. Even then, there needs to be a good reason, and it needs to not look like it came out of absolute nowhere. If it comes out of nowhere, that's just bad writing in itself.

I just feel like this is actually bad writing that the author cannot redeem.

@Raydnt Shitty comment that can't respond to actual reasons is obvious.

I've been using this account for a while. If you're going to be lazy and boring and not even respond to what I write, then what's the point in you posting?

Dex-chan lover
@nbhstcqbvvpmacjrmv

To make sure people dont fall for your troll ass bait

You're obviously trying to rile me, but you wont get any kind of rage induced response you're gunning for lmao

@Raydnt

If anything, you're the one trying to start crap by making an empty comment. I wrote reasons. I gave my opinion. You come in here like herp derp, troll, herp derp. Is it so hard for you to believe that someone actually thinks that this is bad writing and that they actually gave reasons?

You're just making yourself look pathetic at this point. You didn't even need to write anything to begin with, but this has just made you look bad.

Dex-chan lover
I still don't see the reason why her biological brother would turn hostile towards her. Shouldn't he have become excessively protective of her because of all the people who want their heritage money instead? It's already been shown that he doesn't want any help and is too mentally weak to discern his own innocent sister from ill-intended people. I hope he's just there as a plot point for Kanami to switch brothers and finally understand that blood relation alone does not necessarily make someone your family, and quickly disappear from her life.

@Oured You're missing the fact that it was not blood relation alone. He was legitimately kind to her for years before their parents died. Then, suddenly, magically, he turns into an ass after he learns that they passed. However, that doesn't negate the fact that his relationship with her is not merely built on blood.

Dex-chan lover
@nbhstcqbvvpmacjrmv Humans are strange creatures and can turn on you for the most complex reasons, but what reason could he possibly have to be aggressive towards his sister to the point of physical abuse? She was right next to him when he got the news, and was just as shocked. Loss of loved ones would logically bring you closer to those you still have around.

I can think of one possible justification for this, and that would be that he wants to have someone take her away and adopt her so she will escape the sinking ship as the "sharks" start circling his house looking for the money. Even then, why didn't he just get a job and keep their household afloat? Seek the authorities? A relative they can trust for guidance? I hope the author has an ace up their sleeve because this story has a great premise.

@Oured I wrote in another comment about how I actually think this is really bad writing specifically because of how the biological brother is portrayed. While I understand your optimisim and actually support it, I doubt that the author is going to be good enough to get out of the hole that they've dug for themself. I actually hope to be proven wrong because then that would make the story good, but I just don't think ill be proven wrong.

My comment to you was about how your first post said that the relationship is based just on blood relations. It's not. It's based on their shared history together, and that's why I said you were missing that fact.

Dex-chan lover
@nbhstcqbvvpmacjrmv I understand that, but there's no shortage of stories about family that turns on you and still expects your blood loyalty. This manga could be about one such case, hence why I mentioned that if he doesn't want her, she could just let him go and close that chapter of her life instead of being stuck in the past. It would be heavy but also reasonable enough for a plot resolution.

@nbhstcqbvvpmacjrmv it's not unusual for a person to have a change in personality, even 180 degrees, after their parents passed away. And I'm not making stuff up, that's straight up from my personal experience, with me used to be scolded all the time at school for chatting in class too much, and now a gloomy person that can barely handle a face-to-face conversation and easily snap at people over every little thing.

Group Leader
@nbhstcqbvvpmacjrmv you are confusing a deviation from your strictly-limited worldview that is ignorant of the scope of human conditions with what you call "bad writing". It's like if you have lived at the bottom of a well your whole life, then one day you somehow came across an essay by someone else writing about the sea and the valleys, and you call that "bad writing" because you've never personally experienced those things and cannot conceive of their existence, or the fact that things do exist even if you have not experienced them personally.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kupamanduka

@satsukj I'm sorry for your loss. If you don't mind, then, I'd like to ask you. Let's assume that there is no deeper reason here, that their parents passed, and immediately after the phone call that he got, he turned around and slapped the sister that he had previously been so caring towards before. Does that make sense? I'm asking sincerely. I can understand going from talkative in school to be closed off, but it seemed like he did it way too fast and way too harshly to seem realistic to me, but I could be completely wrong.

@Maiorem Oh, please. Yes, it makes perfect sense for a person to get a phone call, get told that his parents are dead, and then turn around and slap his younger sister that he had previously been very loving with before. Not even confirm whether it was a prank call or something; just slap the sister.

If you consider that normal, then there's probably something wrong with you. You're going worse, where you think that because you've seen it means that it must be normal for everyone else. Sounds like you're just projecting.

Group Leader
@nbhstcqbvvpmacjrmv You're extrapolating from my words points that I did not make. Psychological trauma causes some people to develop irrational behaviours. With this factor in mind, yes, it is reasonable to think that it is quite possible for a person to get a phone call, get told that his parents are dead, and then turn around and slap his younger sister that he had previously been very loving with before. Not even confirm whether it was a prank call or something; just slap the sister. It does not have to make sense. That is what it means to be irrational. And no, I did not even say that it's normal for everyone else. You're going the opposite extreme of what I've said: "Just because such a thing exists, it must exist the same way everywhere else." The fact that it is abnormal behaviour is why we recognise it to be one of the effects of psychological trauma.

You think people are immune to psychological trauma or something? Think again, kupamanduka.

@Maiorem

Refer back to my earlier post where I talked about how a person could get upset that their food was thrown out and therefore they decide to wipe out all of humanity. That "is reasonable to think that it is quite possible for a person" to do that. For all I know, that has actually happened. Maybe they were severely traumatized by having their food thrown out.

But that is not reasonable. That is not good writing. Just because it can happen doesn't mean that it is reasonable to expect it. The fact that people are so surprised and questioning of the brother's motivation/thoughts/etc. shows that it is not reasonable. It shows that it is not expected. It shows that it doesn't make sense. Even though it could theoretically happen and even if it actually does happen in real life, that does not make it good writing if it is outside what is expected.

Again, you are projecting. You are thinking that because it makes sense to you, it should make sense to other people. The fact that there are other comments (in other chapters and on other websites) questioning the brother shows that that is not the case.

Users who are viewing this thread