Improvements to data saver option, servers and recruitment for a dev to work on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff
Admin
Data saver

The data saver option has been improved. It is now a setting within the reader itself, and as such, it is now tied to your device, and not your account.
If you had it on previously, you'll have to turn it on again in the reader settings.
Furthermore, to reduce bandwidth, data saver is now default on for guests (they can switch it off). This will be a temporary measure until the new servers are delivered, increasing our bandwidth capacity. We don't really like doing this, but since the servers are dying, it can't be helped. For logged in users, it is default off, as usual (so you'll have to switch it on in the reader!)

Server

The delivery of the EU server seems to be delayed, probably due to Covid-19, so it's just a waiting game.

Dev recruitment

We are looking for a dev to work on a something like hentai@​home to help us cope with long term bandwidth requirements. Please come to our discord and contact staff directly if you're interested. (Knowing Java is a requirement)
If you don't know what it is, but want to know more, visit here: https://ehwiki.org/wiki/Hentai@​home
Essentially, it is for serving images using a p2p method.

Announcement update: We're no longer looking for new recruits, thank you to the people that have applied.

Group Leader
Mangedex doing hentai website database error in the middle of the hentai

Dex-chan lover
I don't know if it's the actual cause, but since Data Saver got implemented my MD experience has been like night & day compared to the last few weeks, even when not using it myself. Thanks for the updates 👍

Double-page supporter
the characters are so fucking cute that i tear up every time i see them. i am losing my mind because of manga. it brings out violent impulses that i never knew i had. i am so utterly awed at the absolute and total cuteness of the girls that something inside my brain just gradually turns off over the span of each chapter. existence without manga has become unfathomable and i can no longer think rationally about anything related to manga and the lolis dwelling within each virtual page ready to bring me one step closer to the edge of my sanity. 9/10

Dex-chan lover
Can we have a super data saver option that also reduce the image size on top of making it a jpeg?

H@H is not too bad, I have been reading their client source code.
However, a more distributed solution would be more interesting, IMHO. As far as I am aware the H@H network is not too keen on nodes leaving (as its static range reallocations are costly, I believe).

The situation is pretty bad for uncached old chapters. Most things a few months old have been downloading at less than dial-up speeds from NA, or sometimes throwing server errors. Popular cached content always seems to load quickly by comparison, sometimes instantly.

A direct implementation of Hentai@ Home wouldn't solve your problem with old chapters, as it is biased towards caching heavily accessed content. This isn't a problem for ehen, since their normal back-end servers have an excess of bandwidth to serve content not cached by H@ H directly, which is managed by their system to limit page views based on bandwidth use, limiting quality for web viewing, full quality zip download based on a credit system, while also offering user created torrents to offload bandwidth even further. If MangaDex only does part of the equation, it may not work out as well. But is that the direction you really want to go?

Before you overly commit to only the H@ H side of the equation, make sure you've crunched the math and come up with a plan to resolve the bottlenecks with infrequently access content as well. Honestly, it's beginning to seem that Path Network may be unable to support the bandwidth requirements of MangaDex. The description of Path makes it sound like they themselves are some kind of user supported distributed network like H@ H itself, with no guarantees of bandwidth or routing. Though hopefully it's just as you said in another thread, this is just a problem with your connectivity to Path and not lack of available bandwidth from Path to users.

Aggregator gang
Does this Data Saver setting work by limiting bandwidth/times or something more clever like Opera data saving by lowering image quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread