March Comes in Like a Lion

Dex-chan lover
This manga is so beyond amazing. For a manga about a kid who plays chess . . . you can start, intending to just dip in, and have the chapters just slip by one after another. The characters are so great, their interactions, their situations . . . note that this is the mangaka of Honey and Clover. Umino Chica is a towering genius and we are not worthy.

For people just reaching the end of the chapters the manga has some years getting out a single volume, I believe it was around the middle of December.

BCS

Dex-chan lover
Fo once(?) I am inclined to agree with Purplelibraryguy. The way the manga manages to combine "sports"(shogi) with slice of life is simply impressive.

I also agree. The depth of her characters is incredible. There are no cliche characters, and they all act believably. Umino Sensei's knowledge of human nature is really amazing. I'm anxiously awaiting the 14th volume.

I just re-read the entire series. I was again impressed with the mangaka's amazing insight into people. Also the last chapter was heartbreaking. Even more so because it was so underplayed. That is a real writer's gift. I'm in awe of her skill.

Group Leader
I've just binged the anime and read the whole manga through twice.

What a masterpiece.

Contributor
Wrote a review on this, here it is:
https://terrenceswiff.wordpress.com/2017/05/21/march-comes-in-like-a-lion/

Long story short: I think this manga's really good but shogi holds me back from TRULY loving it, cause I'm dumb. It also took me a while to really get into this manga. I don't like sounding critical, though, so for the record I still really enjoyed this series and would highly recommend it. I don't dislike the shogi games, just wish I could like them.

I still can't believe Umino handled a character in just one chapter & I am, surprisingly, satisfied with what I got. Just what on earth is Umino-sensei? Human, probably. Just a very empathetic one god I wish that were me

I hope this means that Hi Wa Mata Noboru already started working on the next volume. It's understandable that they only work from volume to volume but at the same time it's just as frustrating.
@ Comadrin and as we've seen a few times I don't think the author is going to immediately continue that story.

I still wonder how Kirijamas relationship is going to continue
I don't think I'm the only one that wanted him to be with Akari instead of Hinata and on top of that it is questionable if they really are in a relationship at all. I really don't think so. That sandbathing scene really was the nail in the coffin for that

Dex-chan lover
@mommy is there romance in this manga? it doesnt have to be full blown out but something you know what I mean? like in sports manga there is "romance" but it's not the main reason but still it is there

@kronix Yes, there is. And while it's not exactly full blown, it has some solid foundations. And by that I mean the reason the MC falls in love with the person he does made perfect sense to me and that's incredibly rare. The unfortunate slow (if any) development of said romance, however, made me put this manga on hold.

@kronix: The manga is very good and has a good anime adaptation as well. Without trying to spoiler you too much, the main focus of the manga is the MC, his circumstances, development and setbacks and sometimes revolves around other members of the cast.
The romance isn't the main point of the series and only really starts in the latter half. I usually prefer a slow and steady romance that slowly builds up rather than the fast ones, so that isn't so bad but I simply don't like it's execution here and neither do I like the partner but that is only a minor flaw in my eyes and doesn't really affect my enjoyment that much.

Contributor
BLESS THE TRANSLATORS FOR UPLOADING

My yearly crave has been sated, thank you translators

Users who are viewing this thread