Social Survival Rabbits - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - I Am Now Saving Their Lives

Dex-chan lover
I want to see what happens when they succeed or fail. seems like an interesting manga. the faces are very appealing.

Fed-Kun's army
Yet another entry into the "people do really boring shit but lives are on the line" genre. God knows why this corny tactic actually works on people. Adding generic high stakes to everything is by far the lowest-effort way of making a manga seem like it actually has a plot. A chapter about rhythm/gacha/etc games is practically a hallmark of shit-tier titles. Saying "oh my god, he missed a note/roll" is the most cringe-worthy form of suspense out there. Don't try to make your bad manga "good" by having everyone die. Just write a story that's decent in the first place.

This doesn't seem particularly good. I'm not a big fan of this kind of low bar stuff. Credit due to the scanlators no matter what though. It is a good scanlation.

Dex-chan lover
yeesh, quite a but of pretentiousness just because it's not the most crazy unique premise of the decade.

Seems okay so far. Wanna see how this goes in the next few chapters before casting judgement.

Group Leader
I'd still take this over Gamble Fish in a heartbeat. Almost 20 volumes and
the bloody thing ended without actually ending ("What? The macguffin has TWO pieces?!").

@pmntamp, @mommunism and @criver, what are some good psychological, mystery survival or death game manga would you recommend? I've been trying to find good titles with similar vibes to Liar Game or Mirai Nikki, but nothing much ever come close apart from Tomodachi Game and Jinrou Game.

@b-no Whoa I haven't heard that title in a long time!
...dammit no one picked it up :( It was pretty decent compared to more recent titles.

@Jonui, thanks for the recommendations, I'll check those out!

Dex-chan lover
@NaturalTalentless
Most such manga that I have read have been fairly stupid, relying on cheap gimmicks to develop the plot unfortunately - that's including the stuff that you got recommended. Real account is edgy nonsense with ridiculous twists. Alice in Borderlands is reasonable for several chapters, but then goes into pretentious pseudo-philosophical bs territory. I can't see your MD list so I can't see what you have read to get a better idea what you would like. While not exactly what you described, the following manga have some survival elements (and most importantly - are fairly original compared to most other works): Gantz, Blame!, Parasyte, I am a Hero, Survival: Shounen S, Wakusei closet, Aku no Kyouten, Shiro Ame, Duds Hunt, Tokyo Ghoul, Shingeki no Kyojin (until the author decides to introduce ridiculous plot twists), Mouryou no Yurikago, Highschool of the dead (if you can stomach the fanservice).

As for games of that sort: Pathologic 1/2 (survival + psychological), Rule of Rose (psychological), Alice Madness Returns (psychological), The Town of Light (psychological).

@criver, ahh I didn't know about the privacy of the MD list - I've made it public so if you could take a look, that'll be great. Though a lot of the titles I'm following are pretty trash, only the first Jinrou game was a decent death game, while Kusuriya no Hitorigoto and Detective Xeno and the Seven Locked Murder Rooms are good "gounded in reality" mystery.

I will check out the titles you've listed - I actually haven't heard of most of them apart from the ones that had anime adaptations. Thanks a lot!

To be honest, I find a lot of manga do falter as it transitions to a "explaining the logic" phase. Even I am a hero has this weird absobing blob with hive mind thing. It was an intense first part though!

Do you have some recommendations for decently gounded mysterys? Kinda locked room murders, detective/police ish?

Dex-chan lover
@NaturalTalentless
To be honest, I find a lot of manga do falter as it transitions to a "explaining the logic" phase.
I have the exact same experience - they introduce so many twists and turns that they cannot be resolved in a satisfactory manner. My other issue is that a lot of those rely on gimmicks for plot progression.

Anyways, your MD list helped me with not recommending some stuff I would have otherwise. I saw you have Monster in there though - I recommend watching the animation, it's not so much a detective thing but rather a psychological and philosophical work, but it is still good by anime standards. All the manga I recommended, I suggest reading and not watching the adaption (for instance the anime for Gantz is garbage).

As for mysteries/locked room stuff I can't recommend anything really - I haven't run into a good one due to the outlined issues - you're probably better off reading actual novels in that regard. I can still recommend you Death Note if you haven't watched it (Lost + Brain is a cheap knock off of it, which you can try if you like it), and MPD psycho (though it quickly becomes nonsensical at least from my pov). I think you may also like the manga Heads.

As for the rest, here are some more details involving what you may expect in terms of survival/psychological/mystery/detective elements:

Gantz: A must read - it's pretty original and is centered around a survival game (though not much psychologic tricks involved). It kinda goes downhill in one of the last arcs, but otherwise it's great.

Blame!: MC has to venture and survive through a dystopian futuristic world. The atmosphere is very unique, may be hard to understand if you're not careful about the details - the author has many manga in a similar/the same universe (some details are easier to grasp if you've read some "prequels" - but those spoil too much, so I recommend reading Blane! first).

Parasyte: MC has to survive in a world where aliens have taken control of other people (I recommend the manga, even if the anime may have "better" art). Not much unlike Animorphs in terms of premise, if you have read the series.

I am a Hero:
surviving a zombie apocalypse.
Has survival, psychological, and philosophical elements to it. May be not everybody's cup of tea because of the "peculiarities" of the MC (if you've read Oyasumi Punpun you'll get what I mean - I also recommend Oyasumi if you can stomach depressing masterpieces - it's not survival/detective though, mainly psychological - like the rest of Asano Inio's works).

Survival: Shounen S: If you prefer survival more grounded in reality without any fantasy/sci-fi elements. There's an older manga upon which this one is based.

Wakusei closet: A girl has to survive Cthulhu abominations in her dreams
which also start leaking into the real world
. Has a rather calm/fantasy/dreamlike feel - think Narnia but with Cthulhu horrors. You'll probably like it considering you're reading Mieruko-chan. The atmosphere and world-building has something in common with Mad Chimera World (note - the resolution of that one is quite bs).

Aku no Kyouten: I bet you would enjoy that one. There's survival, death "game", psychology, etc.

Shiro Ame: I am not sure how much you'll like this, but considering it is a oneshot, it should be short enough even if it turns out not to be to your taste.

Dud Hunt: Death game that tries to be more realistic than magical.

Tokyou Ghoul: Similar to Parasyte in terms of premise. At some point the author introduces a bit too much bs (think Air Gear/Oh Great levels of bs).

Shingeki no Kyoujin: Humanity has to survive against great odds. The author starts introducing gimmicky twists later on, as well as his own philosophical musings (regarding WW2).

Mouryou no Yurikago: Zombie survival.

Highschool of the dead: Ecchi zombie survival.

Deadman wonderland: I thought of adding this after what you mentioned. You have your survival death games, but the story development is not stellar in terms of amount of bs.

@criver, Yo really appreciate the list and the details. I haven't heard of a lot of these titles so I'm really glad I asked, and will definitely check them out.

Yeah Death Note probably was the anime that made me interested in the battle of wits genre.

As for Tokyo Ghoul, should I bother with RE? It was sort of a mess towards the end of the original and I read the first few chapters of RE and not sure if I should continue.

For SNK, is the anime not as good as the manga? I remember I dropped the manga before cause the artsyle was quite weird/different.

Again, really appreciate the list. (I almost missed out that Heads was a manga title, and MPD psycho cause I thought you mentioned Mob Psycho.)

Dex-chan lover
@NaturalTalentless
The thing with Tokyo Ghoul is that the further you go the worse it becomes. But once you finish the first you'll probably be hooked and want to read RE anyways.

SNK is notorious for its art - the author has major issues with perspective, proportions, and anatomy (incidentally the Tokyo Ghoul artist has similar problems, though not as bad). The setting is pretty original though. Only later does it ramp up the nonsense plot twists.

Another manga I forgot to mention: Ajin. You have some wits fights in it and a lot of action. You'll probably like it if you liked Death Note.

Users who are viewing this thread