Could we get an option to filter search results by manga length?

Banned
Or sort? Sorting would be good. Long stuff first.

I'm guessing this is unlikely since for some reason chapter / page length are on the list of rejected features (is it prohibitively difficult to code or something?) ... but it kinda bugs me that I have no means of determining this beforehand since my #1 consideration when picking a new manga to read is "how long is this going to occupy me for?" ... which I absolutely cannot tell if I don't know how long it is. Even having some sort of preview in the search window of what the last chapter number is would help...

Banned
I read the planned features list before I posted, as I noted in my original post. Nothing relating to this was under the search category on said page... and only the unexplained omission of length features on the manga description page. What am I supposed to have missed here?

Is there a link to any sort of a thread explaining why such things would be rejected?

[Edit]: Oh, there was something pertaining to this on page 22 (currently). Seems it was technical issues relating to server load or somesuch. Hmmm... Well bugger.

Dex-chan lover
@SotiCoto
Here read this. One of the most informative threads on this topic but there are hundreds of them out there though they tend to be named a little differently
from length/count/number/end tag ect. just scan through the forum and you'll find another if this one doesn't answer your question.

direct link to the post https://mangadex.org/thread/163857/1/#post_1017775

Basically the entire site would explode. The duct tape, chewing gum, paperclips and bits of string that hold everything together would all snap at the same time, things would catch on fire, and Holo would have to live out of a cardboard oranges box.

Banned
Can't be helped then... though it is a shame. Don't all the popularity stats (rating, views, follows, etc) chew up system resources the same way?

Banned
Couldn't the chapter count effectively be derived by extracting from the latest chapter? I mean something like checking specifically for numerical characters, barring any blocks of numerals present in the manga title itself. Okay yeah it would certainly be non-indicative if there were missing chapters... but barring such cases, it could work relatively easily, right?

I end up using these sorts of work-arounds with SQL quite a bit.

Its been suggested. And denied. In every way shape or form you can think of, somebody has suggested it.

Banned
I'm not really concerned about the language thing. Results could be doubled or tripled for all I care and it would still give a good relative approximation of length.

But yeah... fix what is broken first. Definitely.

Isn't it likely though that part of what is giving the system such trouble in the first place are the popularity metrics? Needless things like the ratings and the follows and all that?

Users who are viewing this thread