Helck

Contributor
Go ahead and mark this as a favorite folks, because it is easily one of the best.

A very strong start and middle but a very weak ending. The manga suffers from a very serious tone problem towards the later stages, where the stakes are supposed to be high but are not really depicted as such. The humor that is its strength at the start really interferes with the end, where humorous scenes are inserted wantonly in situations that are supposed to be life or death. This stands in contrast with Helck's flashback, which in my opinion, was really well done (I was really tearing up), so I don't really know why the end degenerated so much. Plus lots and lots of deus ex machina towards the end.

The end of this "arc" (supposedly there will be a sequel) ends up making this manga a very middle of the road, cliche filled, cheap shonen. If you are someone who's sick of that sort of plot, I would highly advise you to stay away from this manga. Frankly I'd advise anyone to stay away from this manga and read better things, but hey, it seems like a lot of people love it so to each their own.

Reading this manga has been a waste of time.

@projetbook24mm:
Thank you for your advice, but at least tell us of those better manga you are reading, so we know which one's to compare to Helck and why they are better. While I appreciate your first and third paragraph, I can't say the same for the second one.

With this sais, your statement about "There are better manga out there" is true for any manga out there. It tells nothing new and it certainly doesn't tell anything besides Helck not being a (very) good and your disappointment about its developments in the latter stages.

Double-page supporter
Well it's rare to see someone who not satisfied with the ending, but this series definitely 110% recomenended.

A fantastic series, no matter what anyone says. It manages to be consistently pretty funny while still having some great action sequences and some real gut punching emotional moments. The characters are all varied and lovable, the world is interesting, and the plot, though a tad predictable, is still quite good and manages a few decent twists. The ending was a bit lackluster and lacking in a strong resolution these characters, and this world, deserved, but that's what the sequel is for.
If you want a good action series with strong comedy, characters, setting, and emotional moments then absolutely give this series your time. It's no masterpiece, but it's still a very good read.

ConstantErasing said it all.

Very good manga definitly worth my time. Everyone should at least try to read some of it.
Start may be a bit slow with random funny moments, but a soon as the plot start you won't be able to stop ;)

I feel I have to agree with projectbook24mm that Helck had, "a very strong start and middle but a very weak ending," but I am going to have to disagree that reading it was a waste of time. The most compelling part of Helck is his extended backstory flashback -- and it is very compelling, really gut-wrenching in places. Once the manga moves beyond this point, and the battles get increasingly bombastic and neigh-apocalyptic, as each fight tries to top the one before it, Helck kind of turns into a grind. Also, the plot twists of the last few volumes, really start piling on to the point where, by the last volume, I hit the "WTF" wall, got pulled out of the story, and the concluding chapters lost most of their emotional impact. The final epilogue chapter just screams mangaka fatigue, and I would have been happier if it had been left out of the manga and all those explained plot points had been left unsaid and up in the air.

In my opinion, Helck passes the two-thirds good rule for being worth my time. The parts that are good are very good, and even compelling in places -- the good two-thirds outweigh the parts of Helck that are weak and not so good. Also, It is so rare for a 100+ chapter manga to conclude with a strong ending, or even with an ending that isn't a flaming train wreck, that before buying into reading a long manga like Helck, you have to be prepared to shrug your shoulders if the manga you like you gets a less than satisfying end.

I liked Helck. So, shoulders shrugged, time to move on to the next manga.

Those deus ex machine that pile one over the other i come to dislike and like them.

Dex-chan lover
I read this one back on bato.to, and it's still one of my favorites. IMO it starts and ends strong. Of course, everyone has their own tastes, but it hit all the right notes for me: I love over-the-top fights. I love humor. I love when suspicion gives way to friendship. I love
happy endings, especially when they weren't certain
. I love when every character ends up playing a part, instead of the MC shouldering the whole plot. I love when the villains' gambits pile up, only to reveal that the hero's allies exist and act off-panel too. I love when comedy paves the way for conflict; when the stakes are raised, but the characters stay consistent. I love when a story is sincere; when the themes aren't dulled with sarcasm or winking at the reader and saying "lol, this could only happen in fiction". When the characters have character.

While I understand being tired of some well-worn tropes, those aren't inherently bad. In fact, the author's breathed new life into many of them. My personal favorite:
it's one thing have a character that always smiles. It's another for them to smile because their friends need it, especially when it hurts

It's possible that I'm over-hyping it, but I'm serious when I say I could count all the manga I've enjoyed more on one hand. Helck's easily in my top 10.

since helck is over, why dont nanao nanaki sensei put back the project of her/his older manga Acaria? it's such a BIG disappointing that it got cancelled. :(

Short review from me for those who haven't finished or haven't read Helck yet :

Helck is one of manga masterpiece i really liked , the plot is great and solid , character is various and solid and their relationship is colorful . If released in my country this one is on the "my must-have list" .

Simple summary from me Helck is what happened if any action - battle comedy manga , you name it , turns berserk . It's funny , it's fluffy , it's sweet , it's epic , it's awesome , it's (you name any good quality of manga with such genre) and it's berserk in a nutshell .
It went from like -10 mood to 1 bazillion thick mood plot in no time . And you will enjoy every single roller coaster mood-plot swing . I assure you as long as you are human .

If you are berserk fanboy just like me ... (i mean come on , no epic-lovers hates berserk) , you will love Helck .

And buy physical copy of every volume of this manga if you can , you won't regret it . ?

And oh btw , i am one of Vamirio x Helck shippers , while my wife is Alicia x Helck shippers . We made a bet whoever lose will propose .
And i lost .

Dex-chan lover
Recommended read. Will make you laugh, have feels, and have you craving for more. Luckily for you new readers, you won't have to endure the agony of waiting for new chapters like we used to!

Double-page supporter
Thank you for all of the laugh, rage, love, and tears Helck ?

Contributor
So there is a possibility of a sequel mmm...~?

I hope she brings back some humor, as much as I love the later story, the comedy part in the tournament is probably my favourite part of this manga mmm...

Double-page supporter
that extra ending is just great... love it... adding period to a period...

Users who are viewing this thread