Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

This is a favorite of mine, glad to see it on the site~

Dex-chan lover
I'm so glad any eventual transformation into a far inferior human form is far in the future so I can still enjoy cute spider adventures in underground hell.

Kumo desu ka is, in my opinion, what Slime Datta Ken shoulda been; the main character starting off as a weak monster who has to fight and work hard to obtain any level of strength. Slime Datta Ken started off by making the main character the weakest monster, a slime, and then ruined it by immediately giving him BS OP powers through plot convenience. While I don't necessarily dislike OP characters, I do think that Slime Datta Ken would have been more interesting if he had to work for his power instead of just being handed it from the get-go.

BCS

Dex-chan lover
Time for some good old fashioned killstealing.

OtaKael. I would have to agree whole heartedly. Slime Datta ken has so much potential but then it just goes dry much like Re:Monster, The Gamer, and many other online novel adaptations as of late. They just go dry because the person becomes the strongest within 4 chapters. Almost like the level 999 villager which is still pretty good but they just get dry or lazy with the releases. Kumo desu ga, Nani ka? Is a great exception though. I love her quirky yet malevolent moments as well as the fight scenes as she generally just gets by and gets injured quite often. She will definitely get OP but I think we'll see a good progression up to that point and then once we're there it will probably end. This is a great read and I highly recommend it. Females who read this should also check out In another world I am known as the black healer. It's another good read thats come out lately. Waiting on the updates though.

@ TheMangaKing20675

I actually disliked Black Healer, for one very obnoxious reason. I originally gave it a try because female protagonists in Isekai settings are especially uncommon and I thought it'd be a nice change of pace, but grew increasingly frustrated with her blatant breaking the rules of the world she was in. She was the only person in the world to have game menus, and her method of using magic was something no one else in the world was capable of. Rudeus in Mushoku Tensei becomes powerful as fuck early on, and by the end of the final volume of the novel, is essentially the single most powerful magician on the planet (That we, the viewers, are aware of, anyway). Even so, he always plays by the rules of the world around him. Other Isekai protagonists, such as Rimuru, Rou, Hajime(Arifureta), Satou (Death March), Lute (Gun-Ota), are all varying levels of good to bad characters, with varying levels of OP-ness, but aside from Black Healer and maybe Konjiki no Wordmaster's Hiiro (His word magic is completely unique to him and, though it follows basic rules such as MP usage, is absurdly flexible, basically a "the only limit is Hiiro's creativity and imagination" type of power), none of them blatantly break the rules of the world around them. They are all powerful within the rules of the world they live in. That really bugged me for Black Healer, so I stopped reading it.

As a personal aside, the only other female Isekai protagonist I can think of, and one I actually liked, was Miira from "The Reincarnator doesn't want to cheat!".

Of the protagonists I've listed, I would rate them as follows:
Rudeus <<<<<<<<<<<< Lute <<< Kumoko < Satou < Hiiro < Hajime < Rou <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Rimuru

Rudeus is undoubtedly one of the best Isekai protagonists I've ever seen. Very well-fleshed out and interesting, incredibly powerful, but never OP. Has weaknesses which are often taken advantage of, and very believably human and flawed.
Kumoko has a very vivid personality and is also in a very unique circumstances, being a monster; making her entertaining to watch. I actually skimmed and later skipped a lot of the chapters of the novel that didn't feature her because I simply wasn't interested in that whole subplot about her classmates.
Lute has a moderately active personality which makes him a little better than most of the boring as fuck self-insert crap you see in a lot of Isekai stuff.
Satou earns some points for being an actual adult and having an adult's life experiences, showing him to have no hesitation or embarassment in regards to female nudity or the topic of sex.
Dark Anti-hero protagonists like Hajime can be fun once in a while, though Hajime kinda pushes the limits of being sympathetic often. Also most of his harem was, imo, kinda unecessary.
Rou is kinda boringly OP. In fact, I actually enjoyed the manga more than the novel because the manga actually visually shows Rou interacting with the other characters. The novel is nearly 100% from Rou's perspective so you get 0 feeling for the sub character's personalities aside from what Rou tells you about them, which makes it really hard to appreciate or sympathize with them.
I think I hate Rimuru.

to both @TheMangaKing20675 and OtaKael, thank you so much for your insight. It really helps me in understanding more of the story and setting plus with another person point of view it really changes some of things when I reread the manga. We really need more of this kind of conversation. ^3^b

Best Isekai manga ever. It is on par with Slime, but they both have the same problems. A sudden buff that makes them so strong happened so weirdly fast. I don't know with Kumo desu ga but Slime handled it with ease since the pacing of the story was unaffected because the flow of events is just right for the sudden buff and was kind of logical too. I hope this manga can handle it too like it is okay to be strong but don't let the story be bland after becoming one just like how SAO handled it.

This is essentially deadly pokemon and she's the OP pikachu that never loses.

Dex-chan lover
Inb4 the monsters she's been killing and eating were her reincarnated classmates.

Double-page supporter
Can't she make a "corrosion bullet" or smth?

Really good points being made about character development. One thing I like about kumoko is that every time I start feeling like her skills are getting too op (& she starts getting cocky), she moves ahead & suddenly she has to use everything she's got just to survive. But just having powers isn't enough in those cases, she's got to have the wits to use them. I feel like that alone makes this manga shine where others get boring.

Users who are viewing this thread