Reader beta feature: recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff
Admin
How to enable it:

Open reader settings and check the advanced options box.

rec1.PNG

Select the [Beta] Recommendations enable button and close the settings tab.

rec2.PNG

What you can expect:

rec3.PNG

On reaching the end of a latest chapter you will be presented with a list of other manga you have on your follow list with unread chapters - you can now just keep the reader open and not have to return to the site to keep reading new follows.

As always feedback, suggestions and bug reports on this feature are welcome.

Hmm, it'd be nice as an optional follow page replacement. As in, new updates show up first, but it only shows the most recent chapter of each manga.

Power Uploader
An api for it would be nice as it would not force Teasday to scrape /follows

Nice feature, I like it. But it seems like going back via page navigation doesn't work, I have to reload the page or select another chapter if I want to go back to the pages before.

Contributor
Giving me chapters that are really old, like 50 chapters of Vinland Saga is not useful.
After I clicked through them all just to mark them read, the recommendation page is empty.
Might as well take me to the manga info page.

Contributor
Like @Nolzi said, it would be better to go to the info page rather than a chapter since you are recommending a manga rather than a single chapter.

Dex-chan lover
Ho, this could be a very interesting feature.
Will you enable it on legacy reader, too? Maybe move to general settings?

Staff
Admin
@Nolzi

It's going off your follows, if you are totally up to date it won't have anything else to give you - right now. That might change depending on holo/tea.

@Hounder

It's recommending you stuff from your follows, not actual recommendations to read (maybe the name needs work) - you should already know the info of the stuff you are reading. It's designed to keep you in the reader, not send you back to the site. Making it go to info page defeats its purpose.

@Inori

Legacy reader won't be getting any updates other than bug fixes.

would it be possible to auto-update read chapters for the mdlist? something like having taiga but for manga
otherwise, nice. it looks pretty dang interesting and i'm definitely going to try it out

Umm how do i find the reader settings
Cause i cant
And whats the difference between legacy readers and default reader

It's recommending you stuff from your follows, not actual recommendations to read (maybe the name needs work) - you should already know the info of the stuff you are reading.

Will we be getting a recommendation feature that shows titles with similar genres or reading audience as the ones we're currently reading?

Contributor
Interesting, is this only gather data from Reading follow or also from Plan to read, On hold, and Re-reading mmm...~?
It won't really matter to me since I have tons of follow list, but for people with low follow list, gather data with priority Reading > Re-reading > Plan to read > On hold or something like that might be nice mmm...

Group Leader
Ah, nice, a feature bug that lets us look at all the doo doo (aka eromanga sensei) that we dropped ages ago. This is extremely helpful and EXTREMELY useful! It's definitely going to refine the user experience!

Will we be getting a recommendation feature that shows titles with similar genres or reading audience as the ones we're currently reading?
This feels more like "Recommendations" than what is being beta tested. Maybe something that finds the genre you have the most in all your follows and then puts out the most popular manga of that genre if you haven't followed it or read it.

@LilKO
Umm how do i find the reader settings
Cause i cant
And whats the difference between legacy readers and default reader
You get to reader settings by going into a manga and then clicking "settings."
A pop-up window will pop up, and go from there.

On reaching the end of a latest chapter you will be presented with a list of other manga you have on your follow list with unread chapters - you can now just keep the reader open and not have to return to the site to keep reading new follows.
I read this again, because I suck at reading comprehension, and what I thought it was changed. I just open up a new tab for every manga I read, and I can just hit Ctrl-W to close one when finishing a chapter. And whenever I drop a manga, I just leave it pinging follows cause I'm too lazy to un-follow it knowing I'll probably get back to it next year when it's all finished. Problem is, I usually never get back to the really bad ones, and I just avoid it every time I get a new manga chapter notification.

If this is ever implemented, can we also have a feature to link back to the original manga page instead of "Recommendations"? I usually like to type out a snarky, critical, analysis-based, or meme-based comment reacting to the latest chapter.

Okay, maybe not snarky, but frequently internet reference-based

Maybe rename it to "New Chapters in Your Follows" or "Continue Reading Your Follows."

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Nolzi posted:

Giving me chapters that are really old, like 50 chapters of Vinland Saga is not useful.
After I clicked through them all just to mark them read, the recommendation page is empty.
Might as well take me to the manga info page.
Holo hasn't created any kind of an API for any of this data yet, so currently, the only thing that the beta recommendations do is:
1. Scrape the data from the first (and only the first) page of your follows; in other words, exactly what you see here, which is the latest 100 chapters from the manga you have set as Reading
2. Filter out everything that has already been marked as read (i.e. has the eye icon)
3. Group the chapters by manga
4. Display the manga and the oldest unread chapter (+ the amount of the remaining unread chapters)

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@SuppeBargeld posted:

Nice feature, I like it. But it seems like going back via page navigation doesn't work, I have to reload the page or select another chapter if I want to go back to the pages before.
Yeah, expect some inconsistent behaviour while I'm trying to nail down how the reader works.

@JustNatsuki posted:

This feels more like "Recommendations" than what is being beta tested. Maybe something that finds the genre you have the most in all your follows and then puts out the most popular manga of that genre if you haven't followed it or read it.
My plan with the recommendations isn't solid yet, this is essentially just a proof of concept. The latest unread follows was the most convenient thing for me personally, but I was thinking of adding sections similar to what you can find on the front page, like the current top chapters. Recommending things like manga that's similar to the ones you seem to enjoy will depend on Holo implementing such algorithms. The recommendations screen doesn't necessarily have to be limited to just listing manga either, for example the follows and ratings buttons could be added there too.

So yeah, I want know what people would like to see on this screen, both in its content and layout, so that I can bug Holo some more to implement the necessary API :^)

@JustNatsuki posted:

If this is ever implemented, can we also have a feature to link back to the original manga page instead of "Recommendations"? I usually like to type out a snarky, critical, analysis-based, or meme-based comment reacting to the latest chapter.
The manga titles are already links to the original manga pages that you can click on.

Contributor
This is totally not what people consider to be a "Recommendation". Why would anyone recommend something you're already following?

Maybe just "Next Manga" would be sufficient.

Contributor
@ixlone how about an option to rate/drop the currently finished chapter before the unread recommendations? Thats why I'd like to go to the info page anyay.

In the recommendations page, clicking on the manga title or picture does nothing, despite being "clickable". The only way to get to the manga's page is to right click/open a new tab.

It's going off your follows, if you are totally up to date it won't have anything else to give you - right now. That might change depending on holo/tea.
One of the recommended chapters was to chapter 1 of a work I had already complete read.

Since there are multiple categories under "Follows", would it be less confusing to call the page "Reading", which is what the recommendations page currently shows?

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@jasty posted:

This is totally not what people consider to be a "Recommendation". Why would anyone recommend something you're already following?

Maybe just "Next Manga" would be sufficient.
As mentioned, the whole thing is a very initial stage beta feature, and recent unread follows is just one of the planned sections. Recommending stuff that you're following is so that you can easily read through your recent updates without having to close the reader tabs and open new ones for every separate manga. Feel free to recommend some recommendations to print!

@grchng posted:

In the recommendations page, clicking on the manga title or picture does nothing, despite being "clickable". The only way to get to the manga's page is to right click/open a new tab.
Was a bug, is fixed.

@grchng posted:

One of the recommended chapters was to chapter 1 of a work I had already complete read.
Dunno why that's in your recent follows, but if it's there, it's because it hasn't been marked as read. Maybe an alternative group chapter, maybe you hadn't set the manga as Reading until after chapter 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread