woodworking

Fed-Kun's army
Klutz as I am, I would probably lose some fingers just by getting around the tools.

Fed-Kun's army
My grandfather was very into woodworking. I used to make pencils under his guidance. It's a fun hobby, but as Schlo said it's an expensive hobby to have, and as fun as it is there's other things I'd rather do.

is there a type of woodworking you were thinking about? Chip carving, figure carving and power carving in general have a much lower cost then typical woodworking although good knives are not cheap. Turning is a step up in price but still typically less then what most people think of as woodworking such as shelves, tables, furniture.

None of the below are mine.
Scroll sawing might be an option to consider. You could keep that reasonably priced depending on what you are wanting to do.
Scroll saw box:
squareribbonbox1.jpg

Scroll saw bowl:
bdc7524e97f2adb19ac2c01b7158f47c.jpg

Scroll saw art:
8066d1392693079-another-scroll-saw-project-deer1.jpeg

If you are an artistic person you may enjoy woodburning or intarsia. I have watched people wood burn before and it was amazing watching the lion the guy was drawing using woodburning tools come to life. The basic woodburning tools to get you started should be reasonably priced and with the reach of many people. Also Intarsia combines art and woodworking. It can be done with just handtools although a few power tools would helpful.

Intarsia Art:
72d89eab0d1b0d28c88f5410dcbe7a37--intarsia-woodworking-woodworking-projects.jpg

Chip carved clock:
b7bd7edbc7b5e8923a2ac3ad021e3bec--pet-urns-chip-carving.jpg

Dex-chan lover
Took woodshop back in highschool eons ago. Loved making pens for classes though it didn't help that assholes always tried to steal them.

Dex-chan lover
I fell trees occasionally as part of my job, but I've never given much thought to actually reusing any of the wood outside of work. It looks nice enough, but I don't feel I'm particularly artistically talented enough to warrant spending money on any of the tools/workspace necessary.

Dex-chan lover
@schlo
I say trees, but the vast majority of it is gorse, so no cool, big burls. I also worked on a site with patches of old coppice woodland (hazel and ash) before though.

@PantsMan too bad on no burl. Like Hazel and Ash is a good wood but it coloring and grain is a little bland and it dulls the saw blades quick.

Users who are viewing this thread