S-Rank Monster no Behemoth Dakedo, Neko to Machigawarete Erufu Musume no Kishi (Pet) Toshite Kurashitemasu - Vol. 1 Ch. 5 - Imminent danger

Contributor
It'd be nice if stuff like these had some self-awareness. But nah, one-dimensional characters sell better.

Contributor
Yep... kitty going to scratch off whatever balls that guy has.

Of course, I am betting the guy cheats in some way, but will still lose.

Fed-Kun's army
So can someone explain to me when exactly writers collectively decided to write like Saturday morning cartoons? There is fundamentally no redeeming quality about this guy's character whatsoever.

The two "heroes" in Moon-led Journey are still sympathetic to some degree because they have motivations and morals that guide their actions. (Even if those motivations are fucked up, perverse, and idealistic)

The enemies in Touhou games frequently become allies and/or protagonists in future games because they aren't "evil". They are people with dreams and emotions. Remilia spreads the mist so she can go outside without burning. The ghosts steal the Spring because they're sick of eternal Winter.

A character that's generated simply for the purpose of being a jerk so he can get smacked down is the definition of bad writing.

Dex-chan lover
Man, look at that guy's smug-ass face. He thinks he's come up with the perfect plan.
No doubt it involves him "accidentally" fatally wounding Tama and using brute strength to overwhelm Aria in a show of dominance, to show her who's in charge. Two birds with one stone, really. He's thinking he's so smart. Nothing, and I mean nothing, can ruin this master plan of his.

Certainly not a little kitten.

Dex-chan lover
@xyzzy
Even that is hard to do. The metaphorical waters have been so diluted with overused tropes that even the well written ones seem bad by comparison. Even mold breakers like Konosuba start to lose their shine because of the muck. And those that are alright tend to fall into the same rut as the trashy cash-grabs around them, because they feel like they have to adapt as that is what the market wants.

The only really good isekai are the ones that are already based on a story written before the boom. And even, they usually fall to fantasy tropes and wish fulfillment.

Dex-chan lover
@Aretheus : Because it's a mook character, meant for a curbstomp battle (i.e. triggering the murderous kitty into showing what he can really do if he's pissed)

If you want a series where antagonists are doing things for their own reasons (even if it seems stupid from our POV), my usual suggestion is
Bookworm/Honzuki

Even the first villain which is rather stupid, did things that would normally work, but because the MC's unusual logic and her allies' actions, they're foiled.

Spoiler below cuz too lazy to stack spoiler in spoiler (the spoiler goes up to the end of arc 2)

First he tried smaller harassment - demanding more money from her workshop, giving her troublesome attendants
Her merchant partner convinced the man in charge that there's only so much they can offer, alluding to the temple's own suffering at lack of fund on what'll happen if they try to squeeze her too much.
The troublesome attendants ends up getting befriended, one turning from the most troublesome kid in the temple into a loyal, if a little rude, attendant.

Next he tries to spread bad rumors about her among the nobles, leading to even one guy attempting to harm her during a major event.
The reputation among nobles is nothing concerning the main girl, given that nobles rarely visit the temple and the main girl live away from the noble section anyway.
The guy who tried to hurt her got himself executed for recklessly making the situation worse - they were trying to take down this giant plant monster, and when he injured the girl her blood cause more of those plant to spawn, not to mention the girl was there to heal the land after the plant monster is taken down, otherwise the land become infertile and monster will move to more fertile land i.e. villages nearby, so if she's unable to heal the land due to the injury, it'd be his fault.
(the rest of the knights get to witness first hand why she's so highly valued when she healed the land rather quickly, and alone at that)

Then even in his final gambit of calling over a foreign noble to just abduct her.
The girl resisted because she gives no fuck if you're noble or what, hurt her family and she snaps.
And long before this plot even happened, another person has given her a 'in case of emergency, use this' item.

Well, the item was actually 'I accept being adopt by you' button, so when the girl did that, she is technically a noble now, and of higher rank than the two attacking her too, making their excuse of 'less majeste' invalid and if anything reverse that on them.

Dex-chan lover
@Aretheus
A character that's generated simply for the purpose of being a jerk so he can get smacked down is the definition of bad writing.
Shit, you're right.
I can argue that giving any random small-time villain some grand ideal and complex personality is a bit too much, but you're right in that the existence of those kind of small-time villain is a bad writing in the first place.
I mean, shit, that orc they met fulfills the same purpose with what little screen time he has.

That's not an isekai, dude is still in the same world, just turned into a kitten after death.

Also we are all here for cute kitten cuddling with big titted elf, not some grand story of whatever. Guess some of you looking for the next Macbeth took the wrong turn at Albuquerque.

Dex-chan lover
*has the upper hand*
*challenges both to a fight*
Blank+_eb6d5c5adb21a03943b6d5ecda1ea4ab.jpg

@Aretheus
Because most of the Isekai that have gotten a Manga adaptation, are actually written by users of the Syouetsu and Narou, which are the equivalent of Fanfic.net in japan.
Dont expect good quality, the only ones that get a manga are the ones that have an interesting hook.

Dex-chan lover
I guess the ork wanted to pork the erofu. ?

@boag
It will probably save the life of Darius. If he just challenged the elf (she definitely couldn't win by herself), then the cat would kill Darius and run away.

Aggregator gang
@Vasqueztion

Even mold breakers like Konosuba ...

I can't believe you can even say that w/ a straight face. In what way did Konosuba break the mold such that it hasn't already been broken by a more well-written fantasy or isekai web/light novel?

Users who are viewing this thread