Shadowban troll uploaders :rejected:

Generally I disagree with the idea of shadowbanning. Specifically twitters implementation of it.
However, It is a possible solution to the troll uploaders that seem to be increasing lately. The idea works like this:
1. Bot or troll group create account
2. Troll user uploads false content (IE: "Go here to read this series" for all the images in the chapter)
3. Real users wanting to read content report the upload to Mangadex.
4. Mangadex moderators shadowban content from uploader
5. To the troll uploader it looks as if they can continue on as planned but the content is never seen by mangadex users.
6. Every 30 days (more or less depending on mangadex's judgement) the false chapters are removed (to save on storage) and the troll uploader account is permabanned.
7. Repeat steps 1-6.

I believe this should ONLY be applied to chapter uploads and no other content, existing or planned, to prevent the system from being abused. It should also REQUIRE a human to verify that the content is false or trolling to prevent malicious users from getting other users or groups they disagree with (for whatever reason) shadowbanned.

Would this work and is it something the mangadex team is currently capable of implementing? (Not questioning anyones ability, I just don't know if it's technically possible the way I described it or how difficult it would be if it is possible)

Dex-chan lover
I tend to agree shadow banning is a bad idea. What was suggested by @sparky_firestor would not work and create more workload for moderators. A better concept would be to use cookies to track things like "origin IP", "heuristics of the user". Bad actors can be tagged and ID easily.

Using the IP is only a possible step. I use Fire-fox VPN-addon. I could be lumped in with bad boys too. Or if the bad boys use another VPN, that could be a problem too. The heuristics become very important at this stage. Since logon is required to post. I suggest that a time frame or post count is used before the "new user content" is not moderated. I have seen this work on other websites and forums. Downside it's a bit more work for the moderators. And possible new mod tools to locate posts by the moderated user.

There are rules in place already. I am only suggesting prove you are a good actor not a bad actor.

P3n

Slippery slope. Define a "troll user/group" I believe everyone's got their own definition. I'm against shadow banning as a whole, regardless of reason.

Dex-chan lover
I think here "troll uploaders" was a bad choice of wording on behalf of the OP. In the cases used as examples here, those uploads were actually breaking the site rules without a doubt

i think a lot of these repeat offenders have legitimate chapters uploaded in other languages or other manga. we need veteran uploaders to yoink those chapters so the moderation team can get rid of them for good. they may have been hacked or something, the groups that keep uploading adverts i mean.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@sparky_firestorm If someone needs to be shadowbanned from uploading, we would just outright ban them from uploading either temporarily or permanently. If the user asks to be unbanned, we do so on the premise that they don't break the rules again. Otherwise it escalates from a temporary to a permanent ban. Trolls that upload the "Read manga her" chapter just abandon the account immediately. So shadowbans don't really address that more than the regular form of bans do.

@Plykiya Thank you for taking the time to address this. I understand completely. I really hate the idea of shadowbanning, I was just bringing it up as a possible (preferably temporary) solution in the hopes that it would spur a conversation on how mangadex can deal with troll accounts designed specifically to take readers away from the site (read: "Read manga here" accounts"). I know you guys just went through the site migration and are still dealing with the aftereffects and such and at the time I made the suggestion it seemed like there was a sudden increase of chapters uploaded that violated the rules. At that time I was wondering if there were a better way of handling it that would lighten the load on mods and employees in the long run.

Anyways, I'm glad that we have a firm answer on the subject. Thanks! 🙂

Users who are viewing this thread