Javascript-free mode to increase compatibility with browsers' extensions and settings :rejected:

Group Leader
Mangadex's Javascript reader is cool-looking, but it makes Mangadex incompatible with some browser extensions (like LibreJS for Firefox) and some browsers' privacy settings (like the "safest" mode of TOR browser).
Javascript iteslf is not bad, but since it can be used for nasty things (spying, clickjacking, etc), it is not absurd for users to want to disable it when they're browsing the web.
It seems paradoxical to have to go on nasty aggregator sites to avoid having to disable and then re-enable Javascript-blocking.

That's why I suggest the creation of an alternative display mode, for users who can't (for whatever reason) or don't want to use the Javascript reader.
For instance, in this mode, the pages of a chapter could be displayed all on a same web page, either vertically (convenient for some manhua & manhwa), or horizontally (for manga. It would be convenient to display the files in the appropriate order for right-to-left reading).

Double-page supporter
But blocking JS is your personal choice.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it ©

Dex-chan lover
Don't most "disable JS by default" options and extensions in browsers also allow you to set a whitelist?

I hate javascript as much as the next guy, but you can't deny that it's the most versatile basic level coding tool the world has, and I don't want to be the guy to tell the staff to use something they don't have the resources to manage.

Group Leader
@BzzBzz Yeah, blocking JS is a personal choice.

@MrIncognito Indeed, there's sometimes a whitelist.

@Jumballi I'd say yes and no. Lots of stuff can be done by the back-end language (for example PHP), and just displayed with HTML and CSS on the users' computers (or phones, or whatever).
Scripting languages are useful when you have a reason to execute programs on the user's computers (like embedding games and videos, or spying users to sell data to the NSA).

Dex-chan lover
@AB2000
My point about the whitelist being, "I don't trust you at all, cater your website to me and allow me and others like me to use more of your bandwidth" just seems a tad rude

also creating and maintaining javascript-free versions of the site and reader

Double-page supporter
> Yeah, blocking JS is a personal choice.

Yes. And solving the consequenses is also your own personal problem. You shouldn't expect someone else fixing your problems.

Like you can't go to gay bar then yell there "I'm straight! Get the fuck out of here you sick tards!". Well, you actually can do it, but consequences is you own personal problem XD

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Sorry. Not only will we most likely not be making a js-free reader, v5 will in fact be a Vue SPA so disabling js will mean not being able to view the site at all.

We don't currently have plans to maintain an additional simplified server-rendered version of the site, mostly because that would be a lot of extra work when the primary work hasn't even been finished. We've of course thought about it, so never say never, but maintaining compatibility for crippled browsers (intentionally or by internal limitations) is certainly not a priority at the moment. What we want foremost is to create a site that's easy and enjoyable to maintain and develop for; covering up edge cases like this is a secondary concern.

If there are security vulnerabilities like xss on the site, please report them privately.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@AbyssalMonkey Sure, but you don't have to go full lockdown mode to kill googletagmanager.com.

Users who are viewing this thread