Sayounara Ryuusei, Konnichiwa Jinsei - Vol. 1 Ch. 0 - Goodbye Dragon

Fed-Kun's army
Man this a way better and easier to understand than the first chapter that's already translated and the the chapter looks better too I actually wish that you would continue this because the other translator takes too long update and their chapters are of low quality

Dex-chan lover
BTD thanks a lot for your work, this mangas isnt exactly what i would call a masterpiece but even so he stands out in the ocean of crap we had recently, i really hope you continue this and I am no tranlator myself but almost 15 years reading/watching manga and anime says that your work on this chapter should be a standard for tranlation, because man if you did that with google trans and common sense some scanlations have serious issues to consider.

Fed-Kun's army
A good translation indeed! Keep in mind being a non-native doesn't outright make you a bad translator; remember there's the CPE, a test that pretty much determines if you're proficient in english, which also means you're better than most natives if you do pass it.
If I had to nitpick about your translation, it would be the word "human-kind/humankind", although some consider it less "sexist", a more correct word would be "mankind", or even "man". Do keep in mind this does not refer to "men", the male half of the homo sapiens species, but to "someone", designating a person of unspecified gender. In this very case, it makes even more sense, since we're talking about a very old dragon, and as such, a very wise entity that has lived a very long time, so it should use archaic wording, and not more mdoern, less "sexist" words to be politically correct.
There were other things which weren't bad either, but that didn't make a whole lot of sense, though they're mostly just how some sentences are phrased.
Good job otherwise! It has been a long time since I last read a manga chapter without incorrect or strange engrish!

Double-page supporter
I've got no dog in this fight but it sounds like you guys are being paid to promote this guy's translation. A previously translated prologue chapter pops up and 5 people jump on it immediately to say how good it is? that's a little much.

yo hit me up I want to be payed too @sedition @Antairan hit me up. But also why the hell you start on prologue. If you're going scan do the latest one lmfao

Group Leader
@sedition
Nope, no paying and not getting paid for this, just doing it for fun. People are probably happy for a HD version that isn't a translation of a translation (the previous version is actually a translation word for word of the Spanish version).
By the way, I don't have a website, no Paypal, no Patreon, no Discord and no other bullshit that asks for money, and I have no plans of ever getting any of that. People are probably sucking up to me just to get me to continue. If I do another chapter, it'll be chapter 1 and I'll release it the same way only on MangaDex.

Oh, and that feels pretty good, I must admit.

@donutholer
I would say something like "Try it yourself", but seeing your level of English, that might not be a good idea.
Oh, and the reason I did the prologue was because first, it's shorter, so good for a first try, second, the previous version scan quality was appalling, and third, I'm not trying to compete with the previous translation, I'm not gonna rush to "beat" them for their next release. I just want to provide an alternative. It's not that rare to see a re-release of a chapter in HD when better scans are made available with the Tankoubon.

And think a bit about it. If Antairan was getting paid to promote me, why would he pay you anything... And you chose the only guy that actually had constructive criticism, and not only praise...

Dex-chan lover
is it just me, or is the cleaning somewhat bad? like, kinda faded out? the black seems kinda grey-ish, like the stuff you see on indonesian mangas (which are printed on newspaper-grade paper and ink)

Fed-Kun's army
Guys, do you even beging to realize how absurd it is to say someone's paying for a translation's promotion in a grey area manga website? How did you even reach such a stupid conclusion lol? It's far easier to check how other Isekai translations look to reach the obvious conclusion... they're very, very low quality... LHT being one of the best! It's plain obvious isekai lovers are mostly hawking around the isekai tag to see any new updates, and once a new update hits, we jump into it like hungry hyenas, but to our surprise, eventhough this one translation was for an already released chapter, the quality far exceeds what we've seen for a long time on the isekai genre, and even more specifically, this very title's translations, which have been quite terrible from the very beginning.
So, there you have it, praise the good translators if they release something, since YOU want them to keep releasing GOOD translations. It's fine to get by with the other questionable translations, they work on lots of titles at the same time, don't use proofreaders or QCs, but they give lots of content, which we're happy about, but if there's someone translating a specific title by themselves and they do it very well, hey, pamper them, while you also try to make them better!

Group Leader
I can tell you how you can improve your image sizes.
For one, it seems like you're using compression level 0. Since PNG is by design a lossless format, this is unnecessary. Use the highest level instead. I was able to get one of the images from a whopping 7MB to 672KB just by using the highest compression settings and since it's lossless, there is objectively no loss in quality.
2, Save as 8bit grayscale and unselect background color and save value from transparent pixels.
An alpha channel is unnecessary as there's no transparency in the image, as is rgb as most of the images aren't in color, save for the cover images.
iZHoMJZ.png

What you used on the left is what I'm guessing was used to save the image since it's what made it the 6.89MB that the original was. The right one is what I used to optimize the filesize. It took it from 6.89MB to 291KB with no loss in quality and it removed the brown tint the image had since it's now in grayscale.
QY7CWW8.png

Granted, this is more of an extreme example since it has very little detail to the image, but I needed one that would be guaranteed to be small enough to not be automatically converted by imgur for being too big and thus end up lossy.

Another thing you could do is experiment more with contrast+brightness. It seems like you're being relatively conservative here, so you should have a little more room to play with.

@Antairan Calm down keyboard warrior, it's a joke. It's more concerning that you became so defensive after a couple of people gave their opinions.

Group Leader
@donutholer Yep, newb cleaner. Started about 2 months ago experimenting with scanning/cleaning/denoising for the reborn as a dragon egg light novel.
Exporting images with different settings shouldn't take much of any time at all. I was just glancing through the image info out of curiosity because I noticed that one image wasn't quite gray/black.

Group Leader
@Humin
Holy crap, didn't even think about any of that. I did almost no cleaning/image correction, no compression or anything. I didn't think much other than "let's translate this".

That was super helpful. I will probably apply that to my next project, and do a bit of leveling too, thanks man.

Let's be real, the story is shit, the pacing is shit, the art is just barely passable, the tranlations is realy shit.

Users who are viewing this thread