"MEME translation" Moderation :rejected:

Ability to Rate\Report Recent Translators that are not even trying to translate and a are just "meme translating" series.

You don't even bother showing examples where this is happening and actually violates the rule. Do you even intend to make a clear, justifiable and convincing case lol?

1. Original script "A", English script "B", completely inaccurate/rewrite
2. Original script "A", English script "A" but using shitty 12yo jokes and dead memes equivalent

Prove that it's #1 that's actually going on and it might justify removal. Otherwise block and move on, apparently ignoring things you don't like is such a difficult concept for some people.

See the infamous Black Magic Industry chapter and Chillock's Pumpkin Night.

@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN since OP seems so lackluster in making their own post I'll try to help you with the links above lol. I doubt they even cared.

Ashigei's chapters 47 and 48 might also count, we'll see how this one turns out.

Dex-chan lover
h2.png

h3.png

This was really funny though.

Group Leader
Go to the groups page, and click block.

For individual chapters, click the report button, and explain why it’s being reported so mods can investigate and take action if they find it to be violating rules.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@PUNCTURE

Rules
4.4 Do not report any releases for any translation or visual quality issues that originate from the scanlator. These reports will be ignored.

The "joke or troll releases" rule applies to chapters that are clearly intentionally inaccurate, awful, or otherwise overall so low quality that it's indistinguishable from trolling. It does not apply to releases that insert an occasional joke of their own, in much the same way people are allowed to add their own """funny""" translation notes.

We're not the scanlation police. Ignore or block groups you don't like.

Power Uploader
The "joke or troll releases" rule applies to chapters that are clearly intentionally inaccurate, awful, or otherwise overall so low quality that it's indistinguishable from trolling

i think that right there is where a few people get hung up on. they just don't know the degree of which is considered trolling/ intentionally inaccurate. They jump to "troll release" with a few panels using a meme.

i'm not sure where that line is. for me it's (90% actual translation 10% meme injection where appropriate.... ONLY where appropriate) (also, full liberty to the translator to rearrange and edit the translation for readability. direct translation often doesn't work so some liberties must be given by default)

where does one define that threshold to be moved from translation to troll?

The "joke or troll releases" rule applies to chapters that are clearly intentionally inaccurate, awful, or otherwise overall so low quality that it's indistinguishable from trolling.
I mean when a translator openly mocks this rule in a manga's comment section of a manga he purposely rewrote and yet no action is taken makes me wonder what is even considered trolling.

Dex-chan lover
BTW there's also a time and place where meme translations are even better than the original

17.png
The same scene in the anime feels so lackluster compared to this.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Assasinart posted:

where does one define that threshold to be moved from translation to troll?
We don't have a hard guideline for it because there's obviously no simple way to define it, but more importantly it hasn't really come up much in the discussions amongst the staff in the almost two years we've been up. It's just not a real issue.

I'm not a moderator so it's not my job to care or do anything about this stuff, but I'd personally say the threshold is somewhere around where the translation, as a whole, no longer has anything to do with the original - essentially this means rewrites that completely ignore the original text. Phrasing a translation in the format of a known meme like in the post just above is perfectly fine and legitimate. The chances are that the original there said something along the lines of "riajuu explode" which is a meme on its own - and even if that exactly weren't the case, the English text makes sense given the context.

The only real problem with localizing jokes and dropping in some memes to your translation is that a good chunk of the audience may be the kind of people that think leaving "baka" untranslated is completely fine and sometimes even preferable, so you might want to consider the potential response to your work. However, people's dislike of a particular translation has never been one of the criteria for us to delete it.

Users who are viewing this thread