Add an offset button for double-page reading mode?

s1

Would it be hard to implement an offset button for reading in double-page format?

For example in this instance (RTL reading)

wkodLsP.png

The first page is supposed to be on the left side and the rest will adjust accordingly.

Since we really only have 2 positions for the page to consider (left or right), I propose a simple button on the sidebar that toggles this offset.
Maybe save the offset setting (on or off) client side on a per-chapter basis (give it an expiration of a month or a year so it doesn't start accumulating size in the user's browser)

s1

@MrIncognito

I'm confused on how to do this. I assume this is what you meant by page drop down?

Vpb2YQh.png

I feel like just having it be a toggle button on the sidebar openly visible would make it a whole lot more accessible to stupid people like me

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@sprite-1 Yes, if you press the arrows on both sides of the area you circled, they shift by a single page. You could also tap on the progress bar at the bottom.

These toggle things have been considered and found unreliable because of stuff like wide credits pages that may screw everything up regardless of the toggle, and we wouldn't be able to force groups to mark it themselves anyway. There's a thread about it somewhere that I can't be bothered to look for at the moment.

s1

@Teasday
and we wouldn't be able to force groups to mark it themselves anyway

The idea is to not rely on groups to do it but instead allow the user to manually leverage the feature for themselves on a personal basis. Which I guess is what the shortcut keys and the arrows are already kinda doing albeit could use a few QoL tweaking

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@sprite-1 A toggle to shift the first page won't with some chapters anyway. Admittedly it does seem like the available options aren't super convenient for tablets, but I'm not sure where else I would put single-turn arrows.

s1

A toggle to shift the first page won't (work?) with some chapters anyway.

Do you have some examples in mind of where it wouldn't work? My first thought went to double-page spreads but afaik the reader already deals with double-page spreads quite nicely

s1

Some groups put their credits page mid-chapter

Then at that point, I would just have to go and click on the theoretical offset button to fix it again

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@sprite-1 posted:

Then at that point, I would just have to go and click on the theoretical offset button to fix it again
To offset the first page again? No, I mean situations where, for example, the first page (usually credits) is wide enough to be considered a spread (thus showing alone) and then the pages are off starting from page 2. And the same could happen with mid-chapter credits pages, yeah. The supposed toggle would literally do nothing.

A recent example: https://mangadex.org/chapter/765147/1

s1

@Teasday
Ahh I get your point now... I guess there really isn't a more elegant way to fix this right now other than what's already in place...

Dex-chan lover
I would say "change the appearance of the page forward/back arrows in double page mode so they reflect the difference in perceived function" but since it's a symbol font you can't really do so so easily...

Custom title
Staff
Developer
We got FA pro recently

Still, I would probably use layering to get a [1] over the arrow or something

Users who are viewing this thread