Anybody else who suffers from noise? how do you cope?

Fed-Kun's army
Hey guys,
While my life is shitty in many ways, the one thing that inch by inch is driving me out of this dumpster of a world is noise from the outside world (barking dogs, airplanes, loud music, etc). While there are laws against all of them here, police doesn't give a shit. And I've been failing in finding something I could enjoy enough that it offsets the pain.
I wonder if there's somebody here in the same situation, and if you have found a way to cope that maybe I could use too.

Thanks 🤒

Dex-chan lover
I deal with noise by wearing headphones and put on my fav music. I make a habbit of listening to new music everyday so that my playlist never runs dry. I have a wide selection of music genres to pick from so I'm never bored of them.

Dex-chan lover
Headphones but if i don't have any on me I just tone the surrounding noise off by focusing on something or just plain out zoning out it helps if you have an active imagination.

Mostly by running somethhinng that makes nooise that i find okay to coverup the other noise. Doesnt conceal all the unwanted sounds but I find it makes them less jarring. Fishtank with overflow box back filter (no fish atm just some hoya and pothos), a fan or playing music. My phone has a white noise app that I use when i try to sleep or sometimes to help me focus.

If the space you're in isnt tobig yoou coulld try sound proofing it, just adding heavy-ish curtains to windows or scatter rugs too floor can hhelp soome. Windows let in alot of noise, even closed. Hard suurfaces can cause sounds to echo in spaces. I've seen peoplecovver their walls, ceiling annd floor in things like egg cartons, styrofoam sheets, carpet pad, heaavy blankets, cushion/matress foam and thick carpet to buffferr noise.

Headphones, earpluggs, and protective ear muffs can be good too, noise ccanceling ones aare supposedly prretty greaat.

Fed-Kun's army
@421cookies yeah, the problem is, there's no escaping it even in my house.

Thank'you guys, unfortunately I already tried everything mentioned with no success. It seems those sounds will pierce through anything. I was more hoping for some psychological trick to somehow stop perceiving them as bothersome.

Fed-Kun's army
@mochi It's from youtube knowledge but, afaik your condition is called HSP or highly sensitive person and is a common body traits that can't be cured. Any good active noise cancelling headphone should cut out any noise though. Anything else, things like tinnitus therapy where they play some neutral background noise all the time maybe gonna help reduce your consciousness of the noise. Rhythm game or FPS shooter might also help increase your focus.

Group Leader
Ya givin me war flashbacks to my old college house. Rented this house that was on the corner of an intersection with a light. All hours of the night people would get stopped at the light while blasting their shitty music as loud as their wub wub speakers would go and rattle my house. Didn't help that this was also in gang banger territory and I had a number of trap house/drug den neighbors come and go, bringing that traffic with them. I knew better than to call the cops, I knew they were all packing heat and we'd just have a shootout in my front lawn.

The worst part was even if I could counteract some of the noise, I couldn't do anything about the vibrations the noise would cause throughout my house. I wish I had a better answer for ya other than just try and save up to move out or something. Otherwise you can look into acoustic foam. I slapped some up on my windows for a while and it helped the sound a little. The good shit is expensive, but less expensive than moving. If you're stuck where you're at for the time being, might be worth a shot.
For anything psychological, I think what just works best is to keep busy to distract yourself. Get out of the house more, do more active stuff rather than passive stuff (like tv and manga lol), then at least you're only trying to deal with it while trying to wind down to sleep.

Fed-Kun's army
@421cookies I heard about that, but I'm not sure it applies to me. I got this obsession after some trash-tier people moved besides my apartment. Moved once already, but it was too late, damage was done. And the new house has no noisy neighbors, but has other major sources of very high noise that came out later.

I guess I'll try therapy, then enlist Truck-kun if it fails.

Dex-chan lover
If you're fine with spending a weekend, I heard that egg cartons are decent noise mufflers. Paste them all over the walls if you can. It'll look ugly but no one will bother visiting filthy weebs like us so you don't have to bother looking nice 🙃. The target here is to lower the noise to manageable levels, rather than none. Should be dirt cheap.

@mochi
Yes, when i was stressed and tired in my teenage years.
I don't think it will help but doing something that i like while blasting music through headphones was helping a lot. Doing something that's mentally taxing 'till i was barely able to think.

I wouldn't advise looking back on it but spending time away by doing stupid things(i will refrain form mentioning what i was doing while underaged) in group of ppl i felt comfortable with. When none of the above was an option then banging my head against the wall 'till the head pain made all other issues go away.

I never thought 'bout it but it just went away one day.

My ex had the exact same problem; every noise coming from outside our apartment was getting to her. She consulted to see if the docs had a solution for her; she was physically fine.
Mentally she wasn't so fine, (that's why we broke up so I won't get there...), but her psy eventually told her that the neighbourhood we used to live in was causing her anxiety to skyrocket, and that made her body unconsciously react to every little stimuli around her. After we broke up, she moved to a small township instead of the city we lived in, and that noise over-perception receded quite a bit since she felt more secure there, or so she told me.

It might not be exactly what is affecting you, but I guess what I'm trying to say is :
There might be something else in your life that is currently making you perceive these noise as an extra aggression toward you, and the noise perception might improve suddenly by taking care of these other matters.

Or, join some religious order and live in reclusion, usually prayers aren't very loud.

Fed-Kun's army
@Ragea I definitely suffer from some degree of anxiety, and have nothing good going on in my life to offset negative stuff, so that might be what makes a perfectly legit annoyance towards outside noise into an I'm-cornered-I-need-to-die situation. Though, there are countless studies that show that people living in noisy environments have significantly higher chances of getting anxiety/depression/suicide, so I'm not totally sold on it being only my fault.

I thought about monastic life a lot, but I don't like that I'd be heavily restricted (forced to pray etc), plus at that point I'm better off just dying.

Fed-Kun's army
@Metonym Nope, that's what angers me the most, that I'm so quiet people don't even know if I'm in the house, yet everybody else does whatever they want without care.

Fed-Kun's army
@m520i I just enjoy silence. I do however use instrumental/relaxing music from youtube to drown out other noise a bit, but it distracts me and bothers me after a while.

I got an appointment with a therapist now, but I'm skeptical there's a psychological solution.

I just read this [wiki page][https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_from_noise#Stress], it mentions that a study in the UK found that "more than 1.8 million people claim noisy neighbours have made their life a misery and they cannot enjoy their own homes". It's not me, it's all this unnatural noise brought upon by mechanical engines, loudspeakers and ultra-dense neighborhoods.

well, no one should blame you for hating the noise, so you don't need to be so negative about it.

I see that you hate "unnatural noise". How about going on a trip and enjoy the nature? It didn't need to be far, just some place where you can take a break (like a quiet park, an alley, the rooftop, a cafe in downtown...)

If it's about the noise in gerenal then you need to face the problem head on. Like why did you hate "this particular noise" ? Because it make you uncomfortable or is it really because of something else?

If you don't know why then you can't make progress. By facing them at least you will know which noise you really hate and which noise you can tolerated.

My English may not be that good but I hope you understand my point and get better @mochi

Fed-Kun's army
thank'you @m520i you were very kind.

The reason is really just the noise itself, and the fact that I can't escape it in my own home. I mean, it started with dogs barking for hours without break just outside my window and upstairs, then they added woofers and 2 a.m. parties... After that it just exploded to any sound I can't control, I became sensitive to even the slightest sound, probably as a consequence to the trauma.

Users who are viewing this thread