Crest of the Stars

Dex-chan lover
YESSSSS, IT REVIVED.

I love the anime of this. So full of story and very moving.

I really like this series.
One of good old manga I've ever read.
Vol 6 just come out, thank you.

This is better than I expected, human divergence that mastered gene modding with an imperial intergalactic empire attack a much more primitive agrarian human society.

Dex-chan lover
How many volumes do we expect this to go for?

The novel have 3 volumes but then you have Banner of the Stars that continues it, now the problem is Banner only have 6 volumes and its ongoing but the first volume was published in 1996 so you might see the end of Crest but it doesnt end there and the novel series havent ended, current this manga its on volume 6 and ongoing but I am not sure if its going to go for longer since the novel is just 3 volumes but might cover Banner and Fragments.

art is great, but the excessive exposition and dialog kills the pacing and drowns out character's motivations and personality

Dex-chan lover
Heads up, JNC licensed the LNs for Crest and Banner, so we'll be getting a fresh translation for the whole series!

Just started on this manga serialization, and I seriously can't get used to the damn eyes... It looks so freakin' weird compared to the OG anime from the late 90's.

@khratos J-Novel Club: https://j-novel.club

Started reading the English translation by Nayuki Love and there are clear translation mistakes and straight up bullshit copy-pasta from Google Translate.
Let's take a look at Volume 2 - Chapter 6 - Page 12, for example:
SGH63F4.png

What the fuck is "riding the Ray"?

Well, let's take a look at the original text:
敵第5射線に乗ります

Let's break it down with word for word transliteration:
[Enemy 5] ["Ray"] is ["Riding"] (bullshit translation indicated with "scare quotes")

Okay, first of all, 射線 is a compound kanji that even an idiot can look up in a Japanese dictionary (https://kotobank.jp/word/射線-525321). But if you throw it into Google Translate, it WILL give you garbage results, namely "Ray". That's complete bullshit, however.

If we look at the dictionary definition, this is what it says:
The axis which extends outward from the barrel of a gun.

The second part of the phrase, "乗ります", does normally mean "riding" (e.g. "I'm riding the train" would be translated as "列車に乗ります"), however in this context it means "aligned with".

In this context, it's clear the idea the author is trying to express is "Enemy #5 is aligned with our cannons' firing axis".

"Enemy 5 is riding the Ray" my fucking ass. Bend over and let me ride you for a change, shitty translators 🤬. Nothing worse than bad Google Translate copy-pasta. If that's all the translators are going to do, I might as well take over translating this series, because the current group sure isn't doing it justice.

@ShionArita

Just started on this manga serialization, and I seriously can't get used to the damn eyes... It looks so freakin' weird compared to the OG anime from the late 90's.

Considering the 90's anime adaptation was absolute trash in regards to animation quality, even using the standards of the time. Not to mention the anime butchering Jinto and Lafiels character interactions (largely shafting Jinto) and their character designs made them look like they were 11 years old when Jinto was around 17 when he first meets Lafiel, who herself is 16. This style seems more true to what they should have looked like.

Though this in and of itself should speak wonders to the story and characters, as even when they were half bastardized and the animation quality sub-par at best this series quickly found it's way into my list of literary masterpieces of the 20th and 21st Centuries. For those browsing the comments looking to see if this is worth your time to read; yes. Pick this up, read the novels you will not regret it.

In regards to the translation quality.

I myself have no knowledge of written nor spoken Japanese; thus I cannot confirm the quality of the translation, nor offer any support or counter to the validity of @ShionArita claims so please bear that in mind going forward as I will be assuming he is correct in his statements as he provides evidence to his claims and I see no counter argument from the translator or group working on the series.

It is a shame that the quality of the translation is rather shit and merely a copy pasted translation taken from the ever infamous Google *spits* translate. Seeing as the re-invigoration of this series was the passion project of an anon in an attempt to generate interest in this beautiful series once again, this lack of translation quality is rather abhorrent. Not to say I do not understand why as regardless of mine or any other fans passion for this series it is simply not that popular compared to a good number of series on this site or any other site. Hard to justify effort and easier to get away with lax quality when the viewer base is small. Yet the group doing the translation seems to take months to release new chapters with copy pasted translations from Google is more than a little irritating.

Ultimately this situation is nothing new. I myself would like to learn both written and spoken Japanese to avoid situations like this and to make it easier to acquire volumes of the series that I enjoy reading, however like a good number of people I lack the time to do so. And so we once again find ourselves relying on fan translation of suspect quality. Monetary incentives would be good to get people to translate series to a higher quality but those translators would be working on the more popular series as the cash flow from there is much larger (nothing wrong with that). So relatively unpopular series are usually left to the lesser quality translation or those for whom the translation is a passion project.

Users who are viewing this thread