Butter!!!

Double-page supporter
I think this story is worth the read. It's the author's first serialization, so it's not perfect and lacking in areas, but I think they nailed the mood and the mundane/everyday interactions between highschool kids quite well. Nothing too dramatic happens, but the things that do are just as important. And yes, it's more of a slice of life than romance. The romance that is there, like the general mood of the story, it's very subtle and quiet, but personally I found that refreshing in the sea of dramatic (and often times unrealistic) romances. I do think the story is quite fun too, and I just really liked the character dynamics.

Also, (minor?) spoiler warning for Hikari no Go's ending.
I'm glad the scans were finished when it was, since my tastes in storytelling has changed over the years. I don't think I would've been able to appreciate the ending if I read this back in the day. For many it's unsatisfying, because it just ends without fully exploring the potential romance between Ogi/Haba, when the club is starting to flourish, and the characters haven't even reached grad, etc. Personally I'm okay with how it ended though, since I feel the focus of the story was between the friendship of the characters and how they grew as a person. That theme will go on as life goes on, and I think having a glimpse into that for these characters is a reflection for the readers. Sort of like Hikari no Go's ending, 'life goes on' vibe (which I also was very unsatisfied with at the time but came to appreciate). So if you're contemplating whether to read this or not, just keep in mind that the ending could be unsatisfying if you're looking for things like a full blown romance or a competitive focus on dance.

Users who are viewing this thread