Golden Kamuy - Vol. 22 Ch. 217 - In Hokkaido

Double-page supporter
Hmmm I'll hazard a guess that the bear didn't eat him but something that he had?

Thanks for the chapter!

Dex-chan lover
So is it same guy or brothers?
Also I wonder how bear milk taste like

Dex-chan lover
Oh cool, there's a Polish saying that goes "where two fight, the third gains" which is basically just that - two sides locked in conflict can allow a third party to take advantage of them.

Kind of interesting that there's no such proverb in English...

Double-page supporter
@Abedeus In my language, we also have a similar saying: "Stork and clam fight, the fisherman benefits". So there is no English equivalent?

Dex-chan lover
@miyako19

I mean, that's literally the phrase that was referenced in the chapter.

I don't think there is. Even googling "where/when two fight, third..." shows just references to the Polish proverb.

Dex-chan lover
At this point I'm just assuming that every bear that's in this manga is probably going to be violated one way or the other

I see you upgraded the quality of the scans, good job.
And thank you for always delivering and researching for the notes, I learn a lot every new chapter of this manga :^)

But it wasn't until the end of WWII right? So at this time, Ogata just made that up. (I think not a lot of people know where the Russo-Japanese War took places? Because if not, It's hard for me to imagine that the captain don't know that)

It's also been a while since the last time we saw the woods again!

@BasilD
A bad, bad actor (dried cod means terrible actor in Japanese slang).

Fed-Kun's army
http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/yoursay/phrasebook_classics/polish/where_two_are_fighting_the_third_wins.shtml
It seems that lots of countries have a version of this saying. I'll add Italian to these, too.

Dex-chan lover
@Arcara
Obviously the same guy.

He got a huge scar on his forehead while running from the bear.
What are the chances his brother would have the same scar in the same place?

@OtHeR-THinG No, the Russo-Japanese war happened before war world one, where the Japanese beat Imperial Russia in Manchuria and in Sakhalin. The Soviet Union later took over Sakhalin at the end of WW2.

@l3arg
Yes, I know it happens before WWI. But what I mean specifically is that the one happen in Shakalin is after the event in Golden Kamuy. Correct me if I wrong, but I only know the war at 1904-1905 is around Manchuria.

Users who are viewing this thread